PDA

View Full Version : S&W MP 9mm

SWC
April 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
Just bought the gun a few weeks ago. Absolutely hate the trigger. Does anybody have any suggestions as to make this smoother and a shorter pull. Thanks in advance

Shadi Khalil
April 18, 2011, 10:16 PM
You might want to check with the Pro Center. I know they have a MP PC that boast a lighter smoother trigger. Did you get a chance to dry fire before you bought it?

guitars and guns
April 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
I was talking to a guy art the range saturday that has that gun.he hated the trigger as well. He had it modded though. Don't know all the details but apparently it can be done.

MP9
April 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have a mp9 too.. I like it, almost 4k rounds.. I have stock trigger..

you can put the apex tactical or dcaek , I have read many many good reviews about it...

Billy Shears
April 18, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hmmm, Sounds like you got a crunchy one. That's unfortunate. I have a couple of these pistols and have had no reason to complain about my triggers. Perhaps you could try an aftermarket part or send it back to the factory for some custom work. Don't give up on it yet though. My experience has been that these are great little shooters.

Good luck.

SW40F
April 19, 2011, 05:33 AM
Just bought the gun a few weeks ago. Absolutely hate the trigger. Out of curiosity, what guns have triggers that you don't 'absolutely hate' and how did you come to buy the M&P?

...make this ...a shorter pull.Not likely, since the long pull is inherent in the trigger mechanism design. If you want a short pull, another firearm will be in order.

...make this smoother pull.If you keep it, fire it a lot and it should smooth out as the high spots wear off. You can also contact S&W Customer Service and they may have you send it in and return it with a smoother action.

skoro
April 19, 2011, 08:08 AM
Does anybody have any suggestions as to make this smoother

The trigger on mine smoothed out a LOT after a couple of boxes of ammo ran through it.

Harry Callahan
April 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
I bought this kit and installed the sear kit and trigger spring on my M&P40 myself. It was easy. Now I'm shooting 1.5"-2" groups at 25'. Trigger breaks like glass. Be sure to watch parts 1 and 2. I would definitely suggest having the plunger(USB)put in by a competent gunsmith as the rear sight must come out to do this. I had my guy install TruGlo nightsights for low light conditions as long as he was in there for the plunger. Check out the other clips on the right at YouTube after viewing this. Very informative. Of course, as others have said, the trigger may smooth out with time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHr-IyejH7g&feature=related

SWC
April 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
SW40,
I have a buckmark 22 and a Kimber custom II .45. These triggers i like. I have had someone else fire the gun and he says that he thinks it sucks as well. I have fired about 2000 rounds through it so far. The guy that test fired my gun at the range to confirm that I thought the trigger sucked, had a M&P .45 with an Apex trigger kit and something done to the sear. Just loved his trigger. at 35 feet all 8 rounds were within a 2 inch group dead center. Anybody have an idea as towhere i can get some of these parts(kit numbers etc.) in Canada? Thanks in advance for all of your help

BlayGlock
April 19, 2011, 10:24 AM
Steps to good M&P Trigger:

1. Go to Apex's website and buy their sear.
2. Waste time until mailman brings sear.
3. If you have a Mac dispose in nearest trash receptacle and go get a real computer from Best Buy. If you have a PC see step 4.
4.Use your PC to log onto their website and watch instructional video on how to instal.
5. Profit

SWC
April 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html
What about this kit? This looks like it has the sear but also a lighter spring kit. Thanks for the advise

viper7342
April 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
If you don't plan on carrying it for SD purposes, although I don't know whether that's even legal in Canada. If you do plan on carrying it, try this one. https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

GaryM&P
April 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
All of mine have:
Apex sear
Apex striker block
stock springs

I truly love this combination.

454 Super Redhawk
April 19, 2011, 05:21 PM
I installed the apex kit and love it.

TBT
April 19, 2011, 06:57 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions as to make this smoother and a shorter pull.
The Apex Kits are fantastic. I've not installed one on either of my M&P9's yet because honestly, the triggers to me are good to go out of the box, but I have shot several Apex-equipped M&P's and they are an improvement.

A shorter trigger pull might be accomplished with this depending on your definition:

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/235599

Big Av
April 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
Another vote for the Apex kits... I have the DCAEK kit installed and it makes a huge difference in the trigger.

SWC
April 20, 2011, 10:27 AM
Much appreciated for all of your help. The only prob is trying to get one into Canada. Apex will not ship to Canada and no one that will has any in stock. Hoping to find one up here asap.

BlayGlock
April 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
You could just re-shape the seat yourself

SWC
April 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
bayglock, do you have any info on this? Thanks in advance

BlayGlock
April 20, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm sitting at an airport on my iPhone. I will dig around and try to find that video for you tomorrow.

SWC
April 20, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks very much

zip22
April 20, 2011, 06:19 PM
Here is the M&P trigger job guide I have seen
http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

SWC
April 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks Zip. i will definetely look into this more!

BlayGlock
April 22, 2011, 08:46 AM
Zip beat me to it. Good luck.

HKGuns
April 22, 2011, 08:59 AM
Learn to shoot your pistol and adapt to different triggers. Don't waste money on some over priced apex stuff. The trigger on the M&P is more than adequate for anyone reasonably experienced with shooting and willing to learn to shoot it.

sailskidrive
April 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've mentioned the same thing on here in the past. I bought an M&P9 several years ago and it rarely gets any range time because I can't stand the trigger. The texture of the trigger itself and the way my pre digit rolls across it as it breaks really bothers my finger and leaves it feeling sore if I shoot more than 50 rounds. The only time I use it is when I'm teaching someone new to shoot as the interchangeable backstraps are nice for folks with smaller hands.

I've noticed that the Federal Protective Service officers here in the DC area are now carrying them.

SWC
April 22, 2011, 03:13 PM
I am going to order the apex trigger but the new one that has not been released yet. they claim it will be more like my Kimber .45 (1911 style) i will try to modify the trigger after i have the new trigger kit. little worried about going full auto. The trigger is not smooth at all it feels gritty and something has to be done about it. Being in Canada it is a pain to send it to SW for service, the shipping will be almost half the price of the new trigger kit. Thanks again

TBT
April 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Learn to shoot your pistol and adapt to different triggers. Don't waste money on some over priced apex stuff. The trigger on the M&P is more than adequate for anyone reasonably experienced with shooting and willing to learn to shoot it.
I'm not running any Apex stuff currently but I would never in a million years call the Apex upgrades over priced. They are actually a bargain and they do make the trigger a whole lot better. How better and if it's needed is subjective.

The texture of the trigger itself and the way my pre digit rolls across it as it breaks really bothers my finger and leaves it feeling sore if I shoot more than 50 rounds.
Are you sure you are holding the gun right?

TBT
April 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
The trigger is not smooth at all it feels gritty and something has to be done about it.
There is nothing like a good single action trigger on a well made 1911. Be careful that you aren't expecting a striker fired polymer service weapon to share those characteristics. The Apex stuff will get you close (with the Apex upgrades it is hands down the best striker fired trigger on the market IMHO) but it will never be what a good 1911 trigger can be.

And the new forward set sear and trigger stuff that come out May 16th looks like that will get the striker fired M&P about as close to a tuned single action set up as you will get. That might be what gets me to finally leave the safety of my stock set up.

9mm
April 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
I seen the new MP 40cal/9mm I really hate the triggers, looks like you can break it.

TBT
April 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
The triggers do smooth out with use. I really don't like to start modifying things on my guns until I've got a few thousand rounds through them at least. By the time I got there the triggers were pretty light and smooth and there was no reason to do anything else to them.