PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell the Marlins

garryc
April 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have these two Marlin rifles. One is an 1895 guide rifle, factory ported, that I installed a Williams receiver sight with knobs on. I've fired maybe 60 rounds out of it. The other is a Golden 39A that I filled the mag tube up one time and fired it. Both I bought around '03 or so. Both in perfect condition.

I've considered selling these safe queens several times. The thing is, I keeps hearing about what Marlin is putting out now so I hesitate selling these well made rifles. I don't really need the money, I'd just buy another rifle with it.

What to do, what would you do?

g.willikers
April 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
Clean them, lube them, fondle them and remember why you liked them in the first place.
Then put them back.
You'll thank me later.

taylorce1
April 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'd go hunting! Load that .45-70 up and put some lead into anything that walks the U.S. that is legal to hunt, for that matter the world. At the very least I'd take them to the range and shoot them again before I decided to sell anything.

gaseousclay
April 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
i'd say if you haven't had any problems with them, keep them. but if you're worried they may be a liability in the future then get rid of them.

jrhilde
April 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hang on to the 39A---

garryc
April 15, 2011, 05:11 PM
It's just that guns of this quality aren't made by Marlin anymore. I've seen the new ones, woods not as nice, actions not as smooth.

Maybe I should but that Lee 405 HB bullet, or the 340 grain, and make up some plinker loads, like 1100 fps stuff. I'd think I could just tumble lube those.

Blackshirts
April 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
The quality of Marlingtons only matters if you are going to sell these guns to buy one. If you are going to go with a different manufacturer and would fire the new rifle more often then go for it. If it would be another safe queen then keep what you have.

Abel
April 15, 2011, 06:52 PM
I would keep the pre Remington Marlins. Especially the 39.

Slamfire
April 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
I don't really need the money, I'd just buy another rifle with it.

Sell them!

And live with the regret for the rest of your life.

I regret all that I have sold, can't get good ones back. :(

garryc
April 15, 2011, 09:19 PM
Sell them!

And live with the regret for the rest of your life.

I regret all that I have sold, can't get good ones back.

That brings to mind the 357 Winchester Legacy Rifle (24") I sold, that was a sorry day.

My buddy has a safe queen he hasn't shot in years. It's a Marlin in 357/44 Bain and Davis with a 24" barrel and a short magazine. I don't know who did the conversion.

dgludwig
April 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
If, as you say, you "don't really need the money" then selling them makes no sense to me-unless you don't like them (which would beg the question: why, then, did you buy them in the first place?). I agree with those who think you will eventually regret very much getting rid of your classic Marlins before too much time passes.

Jim243
April 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
If you don't have to then don't!!!!!!

Jim

jmr40
April 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
In this case I would definately sell the Guide gun. No point in letting it sit in the safe unused if you can trade or sell it and use the money towards something you will actually use. If you have used them no more than that in 8 years things ain't likely to suddenly change. With the way guns have increased in value over the last 8 years you will likely get your money back, maybe even a small profit.

The 39 is a little harder, I might be tempted to sell it if I didn't care much for it. Neither of these guns are especially rare and could be easily replaced in the future if you decide to change your mind. If they had belonged to a family member or had other sentimental value I'd say keep them.

TriumphGuy
April 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
The 1895 would be iffy for me. I have one and I love it, but it's not all that great for plinking at the range and I don't really hunt anything that requires a .45-70.

The 39A is another story though. Take it someplace you can bounce around a can or a golf ball. You'll change your mind.

garryc
April 17, 2011, 01:02 PM
I had a guy over who heard I was considering selling the 1895g. He offered me $200. Gave him my, "You're going to die" look and asked him if he was going to spit on that offer first. He got in his car and left without comment.