PDA

View Full Version : Shooting without ear protection.

Jake Balam
April 15, 2011, 12:27 AM
Now we all know that shooting without proper ear protection can and will cause permanent hearing loss.

However, when in a SD scenario, I doubt there will be time to throw in your ear plugs. Firing a gun without ear protection could disorient and stun you so follow up shots wouldn't be possible.

Does anyone shoot, at least once or twice without ear protection to guage your reaction to an unmuffled gunshot in close proximity?

I shoot in an open, outdoor gravel pit. If I use my gun in SD it would most likely be in my home, or place of business. I would hate to think that I would get a single shot off and then stand there stunned while the BG shoots back at me.

Funtimes
April 15, 2011, 12:47 AM
I think you would actually cause your ear drums to rupture from the pressure. I know it's not something we generally think about, but utilizing electronic ears would probably be a good idea in the home.

Obviously if you were rushed or something that would matter, since you would not have time to grab hearing protection, but I could see those ears helping you listen for things in the house even better. I actually think it would be a great idea since you would probably want to mimimize utilizing your flashlight while moving around the house.

Taskarnin
April 15, 2011, 01:08 AM
If you are really concerned with self-defense there are several things to consider:

1: you should have a designated SD firearm which is stored in a safe location with ammunition for it in a seperate location (gun safety rule number 1, proper storage).

2: you should choose the firearm based on preference and taking into account a fewthings:

as for pistols:

i wouldn't recommend something big like a .38, or a .357/.44. They will over-penetrate if you miss possible doing more harm than good. also they will cause hearing damage and are very loud. that being said, more often than not, its the noise and not the shot that does the job.

My personal preference would be a .22 revolver (yes I know only .22) for the simple fact that your most likely not dealing with anyone in body armor, a .22 will not overpenetrate, and if it makes it through your wall, it wont do much to what it hits on the otherside. Also, .22 revolvers will not cause hearing damage or daze the shooter after a couple shots (or i would be deaf).

As for rifles, once again, over penetration issues, stick to a .22 or a shotgun. Preferably 20ga, while loud, 20gas aren't as loud as a 12 ga. and stick to buck shot, for its lower penetration.

Remember, for SD you have your local laws regarding those issues to be informed of as well. also keep in mind if your woken up in the middle of the night, you wont be on your best game, and you will be much more likely to miss.

Dr. Strangelove
April 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
Two scenarios I've experienced:

I never wear plugs or muffs while deer hunting. Last year, I shot a deer with a 7mm Rem Magnum. I can recall every sound, every aspect of that hunt, the deer kicking in the leaves, the sight picture through the scope, everything... except the noise or recoil of the shot. A buddy about 100yds away nearly fell out of his stand, he said, it was so loud.

I heard the deer walk up, I remember aiming, where I aimed, squeezing the trigger, the deer falling and hearing it kicking, but I honestly can't say I remember the recoil or the noise of the shot. Or any of them, for that matter.

Years ago, my grandfather and I shot an 8mm Mauser in his basement with no hearing protection. My ears rang for hours afterward.

In an adrenaline charged encounter, or even just hunting, you're not going to be stunned to incapacity by the noise from a gunshot.

I would highly recommend against firing a gun in an closed space just for the experience. If you don't have to do it, don't.

Single Six
April 15, 2011, 02:26 AM
In past articles, Massad Ayoob has recommended that home owners have a "roll out kit" to complement the HD hardware. He specified a flashlight, body armor, and hearing protectors. I confess that, even though I trust Ayoob on these matters, I'm still somewhat dubious on having enough time to properly access the gear and attire myself as he suggests in such a situation. Of course, being alive and a bit hard of hearing beats the heck out of being dead at the hands of home invaders. On the other hand, I want to keep both my life and my hearing, so maybe he's on to something.

H.W. French
April 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
Jake,
I certainly wouldn't recommend shooting (not hunting) without hearing protection, especially if you are past the age of sixteen to twenty. Even twenty-two's. It's not always what you can "hear" and besides a .22 out of a Bearcat is plenty loud. But, they're your ears. You do what you want.

You can spend every waking hour of you life contemplating the unexpected, however for the responses raised so far:

"electronic ears" while techno-cool (and awesome on the range) could have some slight advantage in the wee hours when all else is silent; how much junk will your nightstand support? You may as well be sporting some nightvision while your at it to get the complete tactical advantage. And a sweet ninja outfit.

A personal defensive weapon stashed separately of its ammunition amounts to a very blunt instrument. Your are (probably) better off with a bat. Unless the perpetrator of the crime wishes to handicap you a count to ten or twenty or however long it takes you to load your weapon.

"Over penetration" has less to do with the size of the round and more to do with its construction. A properly designed round will deliver its kinetic energy to whatever the target efficiently and effectively be it blubber or drywall and by design should not over penetrate lest it waste energy. If this is worrisome contemplate frangible ammo.

Anyways I tend to distill things down. Would I unleash a .357 in an inclosed space at a known threat at the sacrifice of some hearing loss. Probably. Only you can answer that for yourself. Though training in such a manner will almost assuredly have a negative impact on those cilia.

Just my two cents that have undoubtedly decreased in value since I posted.

TeamSinglestack
April 15, 2011, 03:04 AM
Firing a gun without ear protection could disorient and stun you so follow up shots wouldn't be possible.

That is completely counter to my experiences while hunting, in training, and in combat. Neither noise or muzzle flash will be much of an issue whatsoever, and have very little effect, if any, on your ability to defend yourself.

When the time comes that you NEED to shoot, you will shoot, and will deal with the noise issue after the fact, because you will be too busy to notice while the event is going down.

I keep my electronic ear pro right next to my home defense guns for things that go bump in the night, however, I will have no qualms whatsoever defending myself in any environment outside the home without hearing protection.

You do what you gotta do.

Lawyer Daggit
April 15, 2011, 03:05 AM
From a legal point of view, stopping to put in ear protection is starting to look pretty premeditated and the jury would query your ability to hear the perpetrator telling you he was surrendering (or victim as he would be portrayed.)

I would have some subsonic loads made up for home defense.

spacecoast
April 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
you should have a designated SD firearm which is stored in a safe location with ammunition for it in a seperate location

Just make sure the BG understands that you need time to retrieve your gun and ammo and load before you are ready to investigate the broken glass sound you just heard. ;)

i wouldn't recommend something big like a .38, or a .357/.44. They will over-penetrate if you miss possible doing more harm than good. also they will cause hearing damage and are very loud.

Hmmm... well, I can agree with you on the .357... there's a lot of beneficial reading you can do on this site.

To the OP... your concern is valid, therefore choose (and prepare with) a subsonic weapon/ammo combination with relatively low noise and blast like a .38 special, .45 ACP or .44 special. You probably won't notice it if you ever have to shoot, but your ears will thank you later. And I would not practice without ear protection, that's just risking one of your five senses unnecessarily.

Lawyer Daggit
April 15, 2011, 07:00 AM
By all means practice with ear protection- I would not however wear it when the 'chips are down' as low tech ear protection will impede your capacity to hear anything said or done by the perp or attending law officers.

Hi tech ear protection may get around this.

mnero
April 15, 2011, 07:24 AM
Wear them! When we were over-seas, we obviously did not wear hearing protection, unless you were an artillery man or entrusted with something heavier then a squad machine gun. I never saw anyone stunned from the sound of his M-16 A2 or even a light machine gun or grenade launcher. I have, however suffered significant hearing loss from my experiences in the service. Wear your ears everytime you can, never delibertly leave them off. If you ever have to use a weapon in self defence, you will either panic or not, but you won't be so stunned by the sound of the gun, that it causes you to fail to react. I have never seen anyone in combat who was.

mnero
April 15, 2011, 07:29 AM
space coast is right, better keep your .38 pistol loaded with 5 rounds(assuming you have no small kids in the house) If you drop a revolver and it is loaded with 5 rounds and the empty chamber is aligned with the firing chamber, you may break a toe, but it won't accidently discharge; when you pull the trigger it will fire though, don't even need a safety. My .38 smithy doesnt even have a safety:D

mrgoodwrench76
April 15, 2011, 07:31 AM
How bout putting a can on your SD gun? Granted its expensive, but protecting yourself and your family (not to mention your hearing) is a good investment.

TailGator
April 15, 2011, 07:35 AM
Agreed that practicing without ear protection is unwise; hearing damage is largely permanent. Accepting that risk to save one's life in an emergency is a different thing than practicing without hearing protection. As others have said, it is highly unlikely that you will be stunned, disoriented, or suffer ruptured ear drums from the sound of ordinary handgun rounds, even indoors. You are very highly likely to have tinnitus afterward, for a variable period of time, and there is considerable risk that you will have hearing loss. Hearing aides are cheaper than caskets, at least somewhat.

As for the recommendation that we defend our homes with .22 revolvers and ammunition stored in a location away from the pistol: The poster would do well to more thoroughly research the ballistics of other rounds and to consider the many safe and well-made firearm storage devices that allow ready access to handguns in emergency situations. Leaving firearms unsecured but unloaded is neither the safest way to store them nor does it allow a meaningful and timely defensive response in many situations.

bravo124
April 15, 2011, 07:36 AM
Jake,
By all means wear ear protection when at the range. I am a Rangemaster and I wear custom fit ear plugs with electronic ear muffs on top. Dr. Stangelove and TeamSingleStack are correct. In a deadly force encounter, you will not hear the noise or feel the recoil from your weapon. It's called Auditory Exclusion. You can read about this in Colonel Grossman's book titled, On Combat. I've been in shootouts so far that were both indoors while doing warrant services. First time was with a pistol and the second time was with an M-4. Both were in bedrooms approximately 12x12. I wasn't wearing ear protection and never heard nor felt anything while engaging the BG. My fellow officers that were out on perimeter said that they seen the windows in the bedroom rattle when I was discharging the M-4. Hope this helps. Joe.

Onward Allusion
April 15, 2011, 07:45 AM
Jake Balam
Shooting without ear protection.
Now we all know that shooting without proper ear protection can and will cause permanent hearing loss.
However, when in a SD scenario, I doubt there will be time to throw in your ear plugs. Firing a gun without ear protection could disorient and stun you so follow up shots wouldn't be possible.
Does anyone shoot, at least once or twice without ear protection to guage your reaction to an unmuffled gunshot in close proximity?
I shoot in an open, outdoor gravel pit. If I use my gun in SD it would most likely be in my home, or place of business. I would hate to think that I would get a single shot off and then stand there stunned while the BG shoots back at me.

At the range, definitely use hearing protecting. However, in a SD situation you may not have the opportunity or desire (listening for noises & muffs are clumsy) to do so. Don't use 357/44/500 magnum loads is one way to avoid becoming deaf or have your hearing permanently damaged. In all reality, the adrenaline running through your system will negate any perceived pain from the damage. I've even heard that the adrenaline will sometimes actually protect your hearing - who knows on that one... As for testing firing w/o protection - don't do it. Even a single loud shot can cause permanent damage, especially from 357/44 or non-rimfire rifle...etc.

skifast
April 15, 2011, 07:53 AM
Bravo is right about auditory exclusion.

As far a shooting without hearing protection, go ahead and try it. You won't harm your hearing shooting a few shots. However, I would not recommend doing it as a regular practice, as prolonged exposure to noise may a detrimental effect.

Then again, I ski without a helmet, and I believe we go overboard trying to protect ourselves from the slightest danger.

MLeake
April 15, 2011, 07:58 AM
Jake, do you stab yourself in the abdomen or break one of your arms, so you can practice shooting after an assailant has injured you?

If not, then I also wouldn't deliberately damage your ears, for practice's sake.

Unfortunately, skifast, while I also ski without a helmet, there are many forum members who can tell you that even one or two shots, in an indoor environment, has resulted in hearing damage that has lasted from days, to permanence.

Onward Allusion
April 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
Taskarnin
Firearms without hearing protection.
If you are really concerned with self-defense there are several things to consider:
1: you should have a designated SD firearm which is stored in a safe location with ammunition for it in a seperate location (gun safety rule number 1, proper storage).

Welcome. Hope you stick around for a while. With that said, I think you still have a lot to learn. Storing ammo separate from your firearm may get you killed in a HD/SD situation. If you are worried about kids, get a quick open gun box or wear it on your person.

2: you should choose the firearm based on preference and taking into account a fewthings:
as for pistols:
i wouldn't recommend something big like a .38, or a .357/.44. They will over-penetrate if you miss possible doing more harm than good. also they will cause hearing damage and are very loud. that being said, more often than not, its the noise and not the shot that does the job.

357/44 sure, but the report generated by a 38 is dramatically different. Also, over-penetration will not occur if the proper cartridge is used. As for noise doing the job... Like I'd said, welcome - hope you stick around...

My personal preference would be a .22 revolver (yes I know only .22) for the simple fact that your most likely not dealing with anyone in body armor, a .22 will not overpenetrate, and if it makes it through your wall, it wont do much to what it hits on the otherside. Also, .22 revolvers will not cause hearing damage or daze the shooter after a couple shots (or i would be deaf).
As for rifles, once again, over penetration issues, stick to a .22 or a shotgun. Preferably 20ga, while loud, 20gas aren't as loud as a 12 ga. and stick to buck shot, for its lower penetration.

Have you ever shot anybody or any living thing with a 22LR? I'm being serious. They/It doesn't die or stop right away. Unless you shoot them in the head or heart, they aren't going to stop. I carry a 22LR in the office but I also know that if I ever have to use it I need to run like hell in the other direction after hitting the BG.

Remember, for SD you have your local laws regarding those issues to be informed of as well. also keep in mind if your woken up in the middle of the night, you wont be on your best game, and you will be much more likely to miss.

Correct.

Don P
April 15, 2011, 09:58 AM
IMO I think all would go out the window in a SD situation with regards to hearing problems. Adrenalin pumping with what has confronted you. If you freeze up after on shot because of noise and muzzle flash then maybe you need more training of give up on the firearm idea for protection.
I'll ask the OP. Do you think "YOU" would freeze up after one shot without ear protection?????
As I have stated before I would rather be deaf than dead.:eek:

Mobuck
April 15, 2011, 10:20 AM
Some of you guys are entertaining.
I have fired a 357 mag in an enclosed space and it will leave your ears ringing but won't cause you to fold and drop to the floor. I don't normally fire handguns w/o ear protection but the world won't end for me if I do. I don't use ear plugs while hunting and seeing it on TV makes me chuckle. When I was younger, there were no warnings about hearing loss and protecting the ears so I have about 60% hearing loss but I certainly wouldn't wish to have that loss back at the risk of my life.
The comment about the hunter nearly falling out of his stand due to the "loudness" of the 7 mag is funny. He might have been surprised and almost launched himself but not from the force of the noise.
When subjected to a muzzle blast(artillery) that has a concussive force or a blast that has screeching sound component, immediate ear damage may occur. Normal gunfire is way below that level.

Jimmy10mm
April 15, 2011, 10:37 AM
In my younger days, 1970 or so, I shot 357 and 44 mag without ear protection. We would go out plinking and use cigarette filters, spent shells as ear plugs. Not very effective protection. I have 24/7 tinnitus as a result of that behavior. In an SD situation you have to do what you have to do but under any other circumstances I wouldn't shoot without ear protection. As far as familiarizing yourself beforehand .... don't bother, it is a loud noise that will make your ears ring. That is about all it is. Might cause permanent damage, might not, depending on the level of exposure.

Sport45
April 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
When I was young and stupid, we shot everything without hearing protection; countless thousands of .22lr, a smattering of .357mag and various shotguns.

I don't remember ever being stunned or disoriented and never more than a temporary ringing in my ears.

Fast forward a decade or two and I find during routine employment screening that I have permanent hearing impairment in the upper frequency ranges.

Don't intentionally take a chance with your hearing!

Jake Balam
April 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
Sounds like my concerns are unfounded.. good to know :)

hogcowboy
April 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
As far a shooting without hearing protection, go ahead and try it. You won't harm your hearing shooting a few shots.
I would highly discourage this. You only have one set of ear drums and they CAN be damaged with just one exposure to loud noise in a confined area. I would only do this if it were a life or death situation. NO, NO, NO

Eagle Eye
April 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wear protection at the range and sleep with cotton balls in your ears....your wife probably snores anyway!

For those who cannot detect humor, I am kidding.

:eek:

mikejonestkd
April 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
Concerning hearing loss and gunfire I am reminded of the lyrics of the song " You don't know what you got till its gone " by Cinderella....and it is very true with hearing loss.

Each and every loud noise can cause hearing damage, from plinking on the range with subsonic loads in .22 rifles up to the occasional .30-06 shot at a deer during hunting season.

The effect is cumulative, and it is the combined damage over time that really destroys your hearing. When you shoot without protection, other than temporary ringing in your ears you may think that no real damage has happened, but rest assured, it is has occurred.

The permanent damage will manifest itself years later when you can no longer hear the voices of your grandchildren when they ask you to tell them stories about your youth.

You only get one set of ears ( and eyes ) in a lifetime, don't foolishly put them at risk.

brickeyee
April 15, 2011, 11:58 AM
Bravo is right about auditory exclusion.

While you may not perceive the noise as loudly, it does nothing to reduce the damage that is occurring.

As far a shooting without hearing protection, go ahead and try it. You won't harm your hearing shooting a few shots.

Every shot is above the damage level.

More shots just speeds things up.

spacecoast
April 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
Mobuck said -

I have fired a 357 mag in an enclosed space .... I don't normally fire handguns w/o ear protection but the world won't end for me if I do. ... so I have about 60% hearing loss but I certainly wouldn't wish to have that loss back at the risk of my life.

That's some pretty convincing testimony. :eek: Sorry about your hearing loss, please take care of what you have left.

moose_nukelz
April 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
I agree with skifast, shooting without ears in is a big difference. When I shoot, I like to engage one target with 2-3 rounds, do a reload and engage a second with 2-3 rounds at the start and somewhere around the middle. The rest of the time ears are in.

dsa1115
April 16, 2011, 12:29 AM
You should always use your ears if possible. But I find any of my pistols are a lot louder than my 12 gauge.

JohnKSa
April 16, 2011, 03:29 AM
I've shot a .357Mag indoors with a full-power self-defense round. It didn't stun me, but it did leave me totally deaf for a few minutes and badly impaired (very hard of hearing and with significant ringing) the rest of the night. It improved over the next few days and the ringing rarely bothers me anymore, but I never got all the hearing back in my left ear.

That's from ONE shot.

If you have to shoot without hearing protection in a do or die situation then do what you have to do. If you don't have to shoot without hearing protection then don't do it. Whatever small benefit you might gain from practicing without the proper protective equipment is not worth the damage you will do to your hearing.

garryc
April 16, 2011, 06:08 AM
You could set up a trust and put a can on your house gun. Probably get that done for around a grand.

dannyb
April 16, 2011, 08:25 AM
I keep electronic muffs on my nightstand along with a high-intensity flashlight and a quick-access to a handgun. We sleep with our dog (14 lb yappy rat terrier) in the bedroom with the bedroom door closed. If the dog starts barking and whining in the night, I have made it a practice to put on the muffs, turn the switch to full gain, grab the light and gun, and go investigate. They've all been false alarms, but each time I get a bit faster and fumble less. Yes, I did practice in the beginning, but nothing beats actually doing this when woken up from sleep.

Some comments: It's much easier to grab the electronic muffs and turn them on than it is to fumble with my hearing aids. I get the best of both worlds - amplified sound and protection from loud noises. I always praise the dog, I don't want him to shirk if he hears something. There is enough ambient light in my house at night so that I rarely need to use the flashlight; I use it just to check shadowed areas, especially if it looks like something is moving there.

bravo2uniform
April 16, 2011, 10:49 AM
...but I honestly can't say I remember the recoil or the noise of the shot...

I second what Dr. Strangelove said. I was involved in a shooting and all I remember, besides my fixation on the target, was seeing the brass flying out of the weapon. I have no recollection of noise, recoil or anything else. It is quite traumatic.

You will damage your hearing a little bit each time you shoot without hearing protection; the damage is cumulative. I don't think needing hearing protection will be a factor in a self defense situation.

ChileVerde1
April 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
I can add from experience that when you are the one doing the shooting there really is such a thing as auditory exclusion. You hear the shot or shots but the sound seems muted or of little consequence. It just doesn't grab your attention. A therapist once asked me, "what did it sound like?" I answered back not trying to be funny, rifle fire, which was the truth. My buddies laughed at the debrief. I guess he was making the point that some hear no sound at all, not my case at all.

You really are on another plane. The sound is nowhere as noticeable as when someone starts shooting around you at the range just as you are putting your ears on. I believe adrenaline and fear have a lot to do with it.

brickeyee
April 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
The sound is nowhere as noticeable

It is still causing damage.

Auditory exclusion is a psychological effect, how your mind is perceiving the sound.

It does not alter how the ear itself is acted on by the sound, the cause of the damage in the cochlea..

Stevie-Ray
April 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
When subjected to a muzzle blast(artillery) that has a concussive force or a blast that has screeching sound component, immediate ear damage may occur. Normal gunfire is way below that level. That's about as dangerous and reckless as a statement can get. Do NOT shoot even ONE shot without ear protection if it can be prevented. The damage is not reversible and I promise you WILL miss that hearing when it goes away. As has been mentioned it is accumulative, so every shot counts whether you like it or not. I have e-muffs on my nightstand. I don't expect to be able to don them in a full-on emergency, but for the I thought I heard something times, they are a valuable tool, which may help to save your hearing as well as your gun saves your life.

Mello2u
April 19, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jake Balam

Shooting without ear protection.

I doubt that a defensive handgun cartridge round fired inside of a building would disorient you or stun you. The muzzle flash (if large and bright enough) might partially blind you though. There are some manufacturers who advertises low muzzle flash ammo.

I have practiced firing inside of buildings day and night with both handguns and shotguns. I was wearing hearing protection and can't see how firing a handgun would come anywhere close to disorienting or stunning me without hearing protection. A 3" 12 gauge magnum 00 buckshot fired from a shotgun puts out a lot more energy than the .45acp and 10mm auto rounds that I've used in handguns.

FireForged
April 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
I would not ever want to fire a weapon without hearing protection and certainly not inside a home. Of course in a SD situation, you just gotta do what ya gotta do. I do have a pair of 33bd muffs ontop of my gunbox in the bedroom. Will I use them if a intruder is in my home? maybe. I have them there so I can make that decision when it happens. I do know that while wearing them in a quiet home, I can hear normal sounds perfectly well.

As far as auditory eclusion goes.. I tend to believe in it.

FireForged
April 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
Concerning hearing loss and gunfire I am reminded of the lyrics of the song " You don't know what you got till its gone " by Cinderella....and it is very true with hearing loss.

Each and every loud noise can cause hearing damage, from plinking on the range with subsonic loads in .22 rifles up to the occasional .30-06 shot at a deer during hunting season.

The effect is cumulative, and it is the combined damage over time that really destroys your hearing. When you shoot without protection, other than temporary ringing in your ears you may think that no real damage has happened, but rest assured, it is has occurred.

The permanent damage will manifest itself years later when you can no longer hear the voices of your grandchildren when they ask you to tell them stories about your youth.

You only get one set of ears ( and eyes ) in a lifetime, don't foolishly put them at risk.

I currently suffer from Tinitus.. Believe me, you dont want any part of it. The doctors could not determin any specific event that caused my hearing damage but I can tell you that I am very protective of what I still have. With me it was probably a combo of Loud music in the 80's.. Loud cars in the 90's and Cheap hearing protection on the range.

FireForged
April 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
if you are really concerned with self-defense there are several things to consider:

as for pistols:

:confused: :confused:

RobertSB701
April 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
I would need to hear Ayoob's reasoning for hearing protection in a HD Bag. I can think of one good reason, obvious hearing protection...and for the bad....reduced awareness, missing..."Dad, it's just me" in the middle of the night. Think I'd rather have heightened awareness and deal with the ringing in my ears and have a hearing exam in the morning.

MLeake
April 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hearing protection in the HD bag.... mine is electronic, so I can still hear just fine. Sounds like you might want to consider upgrading yours, RobertSB701.

Decent Peltor electronic muffs at MidwayUSA for $99.

4runnerman
April 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think in a situation your going to be in that hearing protection is going to be something your thinking of. Things would probebly happen to fast and unexcpected. My thoughts would be,,My Gun,My Family and safty for them. I did tell my wife if(god forbid) it does happen to cover your ears because it will be loud.As for myself I will worry about that later.If time allows thats great,but i don't think it will. Nor would i be thinking of it. If time allows i think i would be thinking of how to get out of the situation and get away with no harm or shots fired. Break a window and crawl out,sneak out back door,ect. Nothing in my house is worth killing someone for other than my family.

MLeake
April 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
4runnerman, if there's no time, there's no time. Obviously, do what the situation demands.

But if there is time, might as well put on the electronics. Meanwhile, I use the Peltors when shooting in the back pasture and at the range, so I get my money's worth out of them. (I still use plugs as well, for indoor and rifle shooting.)

To add time, though, make your home harder to break into. Or, get a dog. (I have three dogs. I get warnings... about squirrels, the UPS guy, you name it.)

Irish Paul
April 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
When pig hunting once, we literally ran into a heard of pigs.

I can clearly remember every sound, cocking my S&W 29, hearing the hammer fall and the bullets striking ths pigs.

I didnt hear and bangs though.

Later on, I shot one more shot out of the 44 at a target - my ears were ringing!

I know that hearing damage happened while shooting the pigs, but I didn't hear the booms.

I imagine the same holds in the situation the OP describes.

C0untZer0
April 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
When I was in the Army I took part in a lot of shoooting competitions. I was at the firing line and only discovered after my first shot that I had forgotten to bring my ear plugs with me.

If I would have stood up or left the line I would have been disqualified for that phase of the competition.

I shot 21 rounds of 5.56 and my ears were ringing and kept ringing for hours. After that when people spoke it sounded like they were underwater.

A year later when I took my normal Army physical I had hearing loss in the high frequency range.

I wouldn't advise training without hearing protection to try to inure yourself to the blast, it's just not worth it.

2edgesword
April 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
I've fired a handgun in an enclosed area a few times without hearing protection. It is NO fun and I doubt the sanity of anyone that would do it on a regular basis.

As far as wearing hearing protection if something goes bump in the night, your hearing is a major self-defense tool, especially in a low light situation. I would not want to be wearing anything that compromised my ability to hear if I was in a self-defense situation where the threat hasn't yet been identified and dealt with. You may hear something that directs your attention in the right direction well before you see the threat. I say this recognizing that once the first shot is fired your ability to hear is going to be seriously diminished.

MLeake
April 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Again, they make hearing protection that does NOT null out normal sound levels. It kicks in with active noise reduction against loud noises. That's what I'm recommending. No loss of situational awareness, and you don't go deaf after the first shot. With the caveat that you have time to put it on, and turn it on, of course.

JohnKSa
April 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
I would not want to be wearing anything that compromised my ability to hear if I was in a self-defense situation where the threat hasn't yet been identified and dealt with.Yes. Fortunately, for the (probably rare) situations where there is enough time to don hearing protection in a home defense encounter, one can use good quality electronic hearing protection which not only leaves one's hearing uncompromised it can actually improve one's hearing. And it would leave one able to hear after the first shots are fired.

Obviously there won't always be time for something like that, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have the option available. I've always thought that if time was critical I'd never even remember that the hearing protection was there. I'll probably be lucky if I can remember the GUN is there.

MLeake
April 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
Buy some dogs and some good locks and door-frames, and you effectively buy some time.

2edgesword
April 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
"Again, they make hearing protection that does NOT null out normal sound levels. It kicks in with active noise reduction against loud noises. That's what I'm recommending. No loss of situational awareness, and you don't go deaf after the first shot. With the caveat that you have time to put it on, and turn it on, of course."

Yes, there is hearing protection available that doesn't compromise the wearers ability to hear ambient noise and my concerns with those would be the caveats you mentioned in addition to Murphy's law.

MLeake
April 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
2edgesword, it's better to have them and possibly have the time to employ them, than not have them and have no option to do so regardless of heads-up time. At least, I think so.

As noted earlier, I have a three-alarm system:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_IrB1SNGeqKE/TPwSPE8ZU6I/AAAAAAAAAF0/wtPIL6n9bSk/s800/Lola%2C%20Simba%2C%20and%20Sara%20aka%20Squish.jpg

If noise in general isn't enough deterrent, the 50lb and 60lb dogs are both big enough to do damage, and have very attention-getting barks (deep and loud). In any case, they bark if anything happens near the house. That should normally be good for at least several seconds heads-up time, and usually more like 30 seconds or more (based on delivery guys, visitors, etc).

Nnobby45
April 24, 2011, 06:41 PM

NO, we do not.

Unmuffled gunshots in close proximity have already been guaged in actual shootings where auditory exclusion seems to be the common result. We don't hear the gunshots. However, according to my audiologist, the likelyhood of hearing damage does not lessen even if we don't hear the gunshots.:cool:

Yes. Fortunately, for the (probably rare) situations where there is enough time to don hearing protection in a home defense encounter, one can use good quality electronic hearing protection which not only leaves one's hearing uncompromised it can actually improve one's hearing. And it would leave one able to hear after the first shots are fired.

I have a set of Peltors in my bedroom. They're old and sound a bit tinny but their amplification is excellent. I can hear a flatuated mouse at 8 yds.:D

I recently rebuilt the pads from a kit you can order. My newer ones aren't as amplified, but sound better.

If the situation allows me to get to them, nobody can make a move in my house, or fiddle with a door without me hearing them. The value of the electronic muffs go beyond just protecting your ears. Especially for an 'ol geezer like me whose hearing isn't what it used to be.:cool:

2edgesword
April 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
Based on the recommendations I'm going to have to check out the electronic hearing protection. As MLeake said, I'm all for having it and at least having the option to use it if the opportunity is available.

Nnobby45
April 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
Based on the recommendations I'm going to have to check out the electronic hearing protection. As MLeake said, I'm all for having it and at least having the option to use it if the opportunity is available.

It's not just about home protection. If you take a shooting course, you'll need to hear the instructor, and it's a good idea to be able to hear what's going on no matter where you're shooting.

Electronic muffs are state of the art.