PDA

View Full Version : Chronographing .22s Chrony F1

chasep255
April 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
So I am very frustrated with my Chrony F1 chronograph. I have been testing it out in my basement using an airsoft gun and a .22. I can get it to read the airsoft gun if I use A LOT of lighting in the room however no matter what I try I can't get it to read the .22. I am not thinking of returning it to Midway. I might get a new chronograph but since they all use light then the new more expensive one might have all the same problems. Any suggestions? Also are there any chronographs that use something other than light?

PawPaw
April 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
It's not that you have lots of light in the room, it's where the light is focused.

Try this, or at least look at the picture (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=432880) and rig something that will focus the light where it should be.

You can buy the most expensive chronograph available, but if the sensors don't see the bullet, it won't work.

g.willikers
April 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
Chronys are a little light insensitive.
Be sure the light is throwing a shadow of the bullet on the sensors as the bullet goes past.
And check to see that muzzle blast and powder aren't influencing the sensors.
Sometimes using a buffer in front of the sensors helps with that.
Like shooting through a piece of cardboard to keep the blast and powder back.
Don't shoot the Chrony, though.
At least not yet.

Poodleshooter
April 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
If you're inside, don't use fluorescent lighting. The flickering of fluorescents gives Chronys fits: you'll get wildly varying measurements. Incandescent light should work ok if bright enough. Chronys work best with natural sunlight. The very best is a day that is bright, but with an overcast white sky. With those conditions, you may not even need the plastic reflectors.

Norrick
April 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
I've heard that certain indoor lights flicker faster than the human eye can see (but not faster than a chronograph can see perhaps). I imagine it as throwing a tennis ball through two doorways in a dark room with a strobe light. Maybe you see the ball appear in one doorway but not the other, if its moving too fast and the flashes aren't timed right.

They are really designed for outdoor use, to be fair.