PDA

View Full Version : Conceal Carry Quandry in Autos

Roland Thunder
April 7, 2011, 01:43 PM
If you have a permit that allows you to carry concealed and you are in a state that requires a loaded weapon to be in plain view in a car, if you put the loaded weapon in the glove box or under the seat are you in violation of that states law. In other words, would the CCW permit be nullified in this case and the car carry laws applicable since the weapon is not on the CCW holders person.

LarryFlew
April 7, 2011, 01:56 PM
Your permit reciprocity still requires you to follow the law of the state you are in so yes it has to be in the open if that state requires that.

Roland Thunder
April 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
Your permit reciprocity still requires you to follow the law of the state you are in so yes it has to be in the open if that state requires that.

So would that mean that if I was in the car in such state I would have to maybe lay it in the seat in full view but when I got out of the car I could conceal it on my person? The reason I'm asking is because I am going to be traveling through several states that have differing car carry laws but all of which reciprocate with the state I have my CCW from (GA)

Don H
April 7, 2011, 03:22 PM
Does the law in that state exempt a permit holder from the plain sight provision of the car-carry law? There is no blanket answer to your question due to the variations in law from state to state. It's something you would have to research and verify for each state you go through.

gatorgun
April 7, 2011, 04:02 PM
From my understanding of it, and I am no attorney by any means, is if you are in your car and the state accepts your concealed weapons permit then you may carry it in your "immediate possession" (on you) concealed. However, if you take it out of your immediate possession for any reason. For example, glove box, then you must follow the laws of the state for which you are currently in for "car-carry". Whether it be unloaded, in plain-sight or whatever.

-Gatorgun

Pahoo
April 7, 2011, 04:10 PM
in a state that requires a loaded weapon to be in plain view in a car,
Is this true and if that is the case, what purpose does it serve. As I understand the new Iowa law, this is not the case but then again, it does allow for open carry. WOW !!! .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

osallent
April 7, 2011, 04:18 PM
What state are you talking about? Hard to tell you an opinion on the law, or make any relevant comments on it, without knowing which state you are referring to. I'd love to look up the statutes of the state and read them myself. Sounds interesting!

Kreyzhorse
April 8, 2011, 06:50 AM
You are bound by the laws of the state you are currently in. Your CCW license may or may not be valid in that state but either way, you have to follow their laws.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us It's a good source that answers a lot of questions regard CCW and firearm transportation.

dajowi
April 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
In my state a handgun is readily accessible if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

If you have a license to carry the weapon doesn't have to be in plain sight.

shortwave
April 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
For someone traveling with a gun, this is probably the hardest question in the cc laws to answer. Simply because 'there's really no straight forward, one size fits all' answer. There's no standardized laws. Also, laws from state to state can change at any time and the traveler has no choice but to continualy check the laws of the particular states he/she is planning to travel through. CC reciprocating states can and do change.

Presently, it's commonly referred to as "CC Bingo" :rolleyes: A problem many pro-cc organizations are currently working to address. Since each state can mandate their own laws, IMO, currently the best way to know for sure as to the mode of carry going from one state to another is to call the state LE of the state your going to be traveling through. Make sure to GET NAMES of LE PERSONNEL YOU TALK TO. May be overdoing it but I tape my conversations.;). But 1st you can refer to the site Krazyhorse provided to make sure the states you plan on driving through are currently reciprocating states. Again, they do change.

Aguila Blanca
April 8, 2011, 05:47 PM
From my understanding of it, and I am no attorney by any means, is if you are in your car and the state accepts your concealed weapons permit then you may carry it in your "immediate possession" (on you) concealed. However, if you take it out of your immediate possession for any reason. For example, glove box, then you must follow the laws of the state for which you are currently in for "car-carry". Whether it be unloaded, in plain-sight or whatever.
No.

Reciprocity means ONLY that the host state recognizes your home state permit as permission to carry. At all times and under all circumstances you are subject to the carry laws of the state you are in.

If I have a driver's license from a western state with a 75 MPH speed limit, that does NOT mean I can legally drive 75 MPH in a state with a maximum speed limit of 65 MPH.