PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Issue

garryc
April 6, 2011, 06:06 PM
Almost two months ago I put 6 guns on consignment at a local dealer. I've known this guys for some time and used to do business with his dad.

They are:

Persian Mauser with bayonet, un-issued.
M700 VLS 308
M700 HB in a Choate stock 308
M700 Classic 7x57 mauser
A two band Euroarms 1858 Enfield
A three band Euroarms 1858 Enfield.

This guy was to put them on Gunbroker, every time I ask he says he hasn't got to it yet. Nor does he have anything else on Gunbroker right now. Procrastination to the max degree.

I'm not interested in peddling the stuff on the internet myself, I find that a real pain in the rear. That's why I give it to a dealer who does that and tell him what I want. Whatever else he gets is his.

Now I'm at the point of picking the stuff up and going someplace else. I don't want a rift between us because the guy is a real good dude, he's just completely disorganized.

What would you do?

taylorce1
April 6, 2011, 06:14 PM
Friend or not give the guy a deadline, say another week to get your items on GB or you are going to pull them. Just be honest and up front with your disappointment. He has had them long enough to do his job. It is pretty easy to list on GB and if they don't sell he can set it up to auto re-list. The only part of GB that I find a hassle is the shipping part, it is real hard for me to make the PO, so I usually wind up shipping UPS.

ndking1126
April 6, 2011, 06:55 PM
The more upset you get with him, the more likely an unhappy ending for your relationship/business relationship. The sooner you pull out and graciously tell him you are going elsewhere, the easier it will be for you and therefore relationship, IMO. Bad news doesn't get better with time.

It's not personal, it's business... lesson from the Godfather.

Scorch
April 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
Just go pick them up, don't get caught up in why or what. They are your guns, you want them back. If he gets testy, just calmly tell him that you intended for him to sell them, but since that is not happening you will take them elsewhere. Nice guy or not, it takes all of 5 minutes to list a gun on gunbroker.com.

20thru45
April 6, 2011, 07:30 PM
When a deal smells bad its time to extricate yourself with as little pain as possible. By the way if and when he does put them on Gunbroker he'll be too busy to do that right either. trust your gut which says get your guns and go.

garryc
April 6, 2011, 07:39 PM
I sent an E-Mail to a dealer in my club. Basically I told him that if the other dealer doesn't get off his butt in two weeks I'm picking them up and allowing him to do the deal. The only reason I'm doing two weeks is that I'm having surgery next week.