PDA

View Full Version : anti-9mm guy going 9mm

WDE2010NC
April 4, 2011, 03:28 PM
Not really looking to start any arguments here, about which caliber is best. I have always leaned towards .40 over 9mm, and love my xd40 for the house, but I carry a 38+P revolver, because I have always been comfortable with the reliability. After being jealous of a friends ammo bill(9mm) for a while now, and his mag capacity over the snubby, I decided to rest the .38 for a while, and try a new toy......

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/tigerwalktailgate/IMG_3206-1.jpg

M&P9c.... anyone else totally changed it up, lately? How did it work out?

proxpilot
April 4, 2011, 04:15 PM
nothing wrong with a 9. ive owned a XD.40 and a Sig p220 .45.
see what ones i still own? i really like the .45 round though. nice M&P BTW
I
I
I
V

KennyFSU
April 4, 2011, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the... light side? (Lighter on your wallet that is :D).

Very nice M&P, my buddy has one as well and I really like the ergonomics.

Glockfan35
April 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
Why are you anti-9mm anyway? Other than .38 Spl & a few boxes of .380, plus some .22's, 9mm is the caliber I depend on daily for my self-defense.

My current handguns:
Glock 26 Generation 3 9mm
S&W Bodyguard .38+P
Kel-Tec P3-AT .380
S&W Bodyguard .380
XD9SC 9mm
Kel-Tec P32 .32
Kel-Tec P11 9mm
Walther P22 .22 lr
Omega Arms .22 Short
Shotgun: Mossberg 500
Rifle: Marlin 60

ice monkey
April 4, 2011, 04:48 PM
Going through the same thing … trading in my Ruger SP-101 .357 for a Glock 26 Gen 4.

After realizing how anemic (similar may be a better term) my little 2 inch snub loaded with .357 was compared to a 9mm out of a 3.5 inch semi was; I figured the benefits of firepower and ability to get back on target faster with a 9 was only logical. Having said that, you have to believe in velocity over bullet weight argument :rolleyes:. War, here it comes lol!

Gongrats on your new toy :).

Ronbert
April 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
I just bought a new 9mm (SA XD9 Tactical) to shoot up that mountain of range pickup brass that I've accumulated over the years. Loaded 400 rounds yesterday and am not even half done loading the pile :-)

WDE2010NC
April 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
What's wrong with 9mm? Hopefully nothing. I just bought one. ;) If a gun comes in 40 and 9, ballistics always steered me to the 40, but I also understand the more shots on target argument, and 9 is way cheaper to shoot, so I'm giving it a try. I was torn between this and the G26. I liked the feel of this better, and it seemed to be less top heavy when the mag is low on ammo. We shall see how it does at the range.....hopefully tomorrow.

Kreyzhorse
April 4, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of the 9mm either but I've often thought that sooner or later I am going to have to break down and buy one. The ammo bill savings alone would pay for gun (at some point!) compared to shooting my .40 and .45.

Congrats on the new gun. I think you'll get along with the 9mm very well.

UpstateGlocker
April 4, 2011, 06:08 PM
I use 9mm in my Kahr PM9 because it is a very small and light gun, and if I tried the comparably sized Kahr in .40 there is no way I could control the additional recoil. On the other hand, when I'm camping I carry my Glock G23 because I want the additional ballistic capability of .40. Its all a question of what size gun (a) you can carry in your preferred mode (pant pocket, IWB/belt, ankle, etc) (b) you need in terms of ballistics (9mm is fine with me for 2 legged critters, but if I'm in the woods I would prefer a tad bit more firepower hence the .40 -- don't get me going on the wisdom of a 10mm).

9mm is a fine caliber and likely the world's most carried in combat zones, so that's good enough for me. .40 and higher is also good if you can carry it in your preferred holster and need the additional firepower. Don't sweat the choice, though, because frankly the difference between the two isn't a whole lot.

goose13
April 4, 2011, 10:45 PM
Excellent choice, the M&P 9c was my first carry gun, and the one I still carry the most.

Terry A
April 4, 2011, 10:46 PM
9mms are great pistols. You'll be glad you have one.

Auto426
April 4, 2011, 10:50 PM
9mm is not my preferred caliber, but I did just recently purchase a Browning Hi Power. It's hard to argue with the price of 9mm FMJ when you are going out and putting holes in paper, and the Hi Power is such a classic that I just had to add one to my collection. I've got myself a fun range toy that's cheap to shoot now, though I still prefer my .45's.

BfloBill
April 4, 2011, 11:49 PM
I'm with WDE2010NC. Until recently I have always favored the .40 over the 9mm for the balistics and the fact that you can usually get a .40 in the same size package as the 9mm. But putting the shots where they count is what will save your life. I decided that my next carry gun will be a 9mm so I could practice more for the same price.

Tactical Jackalope
April 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'm doing the SAME thing! That's insane....you too? Been having this discusion a lot lately.

I just put down for a SIG P226 E2....Got tired of hearing "cha-ching" after round I fired from my .45's and .40's

BfloBill
April 5, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm still about 6 months from puchasing something, but I narrowed it down to Glock 26 or 19, or the new Ruger LC9.

COSteve
April 5, 2011, 12:12 AM
Much like UpstateGlocker, I also step up in performance when I'm out in the Rocky Mountains and have to prepare for 4 legged as well as 2 legged predators.

For me a 9mm is marginal and that's fine for CCW most of the time. The problem is what do you do when you need a larger, more powerful, more capable round? We don't get 'time out for caliber change' where I live so I'll carry the most powerful defensive weapon I can still employ accurately and effectively.

So, my choice for CCW is a 40 cal G23 in town and when I'm out in the Rockies or anywhere I'm concerned that I could need more performance, my custom 10mm Glock G20L with 6" slide and barrel is my choice for field duty.

There's something comforting about having 17+1 rds of 180grn 10mm hardcast ammo that leaves the muzzle at 1,423fps and produces 809ft/lbs of muzzle energy when you notice that the mountain lion you saw off a ways a mile back is now closer and keeping up with you off to the side of the trail.

While I was able to scare him off, it was a comfort to know that I could unleash a world of serious hurt on his body if he decided to consider us as a potential meal. And, it only takes one such encounter to put any thought of 'getting by with a lighter caliber' or less capable round right out of your mind forever!

BfloBill
April 5, 2011, 12:29 AM
My 9 will be for defense against 2 legged predators. In the woods I agree with you completely, bigger is better.

LockedBreech
April 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
I will always choose .45 or .40 over 9 for full-size defense (especially since a lot of polymer .40s can swap in 9mm barrels for practice). However, I am very seriously considering adding a 9 to the stable for subcompact carry. I like my LCP, but these days you can step up from .380 to 9x19 - a sizable jump in power - for a very small increase in size.

Caliber mumbo-jumbo aside, the M&P series guns are poised to take back the police market. Extremely well-made American guns. Excellent choice.

Wildalaska
April 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
The 9mm will kill anything just as dead as anything else you can carry on your person.

WildwhatsinthesockdrawertonightAlaska ™©2002-2011

thinkingman
April 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
I carry a Kahr PM9 and have never felt undergunned.
Compared to a snub 38sp +p, you're not giving up anything.

WDE2010NC
April 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
Just got back from the range. Maybe it was the gun....maybe the caliber...maybe I was just very "on my game" today, but.....WOW! I have never considered myself to be very good, but today, with the new gun, I shocked myself. :eek: I put together some really tight groups. It was the only gun I took, so I'll have to take more next time to see if I can even come close to matching those groupings. I have never been anywhere near that good with my xd40. The recoil was very mild...not even noticeable, really. No malfunctions of any kind. I put 108 rounds through it. 100 FMJ, and 8 SD rounds. If I don't get any better with the xd40, I might have to start looking around for something different. Besides....we all know I will be itching for more in a week or so. :o One thing is for sure, though...The M&P9c won't be leaving me anytime soon. :D As a guy who never wanted a 9mm, I couldn't be happier with the change.

hogwiley
April 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
9mm seems to be making a comeback these days. Im not sure if it has to do with the fact there are so many new shooters out there who quickly decide the 40s recoil is too much, if its the cost of ammo, or the end of the 10 round magazine limit, but suddenly everyone seems to love the 9mm.My guess is its a little bit of all 3.

I'm one of those still on the fence.

microman
April 5, 2011, 10:27 PM
I started out with 9mm and went to .40 now I am
back to 9mm being my go to caliber.

and yes your ammo bills will be much less ;)

chadstrickland
April 6, 2011, 07:09 AM
Just paid 189.somthing can't remember...lol for 800 rounds of 9mm at walmarts...awesome :)

Pilot
April 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
I have a friend who loves .40 S&W. He's always after the latest and greatest in anything. To manage the recoil, he reloads, and downloads the .40 to mainly softball loads. I asked him why doesn't he just shoot 9MM? His response was that it wasn't modern enough. :rolleyes:

The .40 is a great round, no question. For ME, in similarly sized hanguns, I prefer the 9MM.

Hog Hunter
April 6, 2011, 07:36 AM
HA!! I had a M&P45 That I absoultly loved and traded it for a S&W airweight. Well I had two auto's, the 45 and a G17. Didnt really see the need for both of them except to just have so I got rid of the 45. Wish I still had it.

Cornhusker77
April 6, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have a Glock 32, and while I really like the .357sig, it's expensive.
I bought a 9mm conversion barrel and 4 of the Korean mags for it so I can shoot my Glock all I want but with a 30 second change over I don't feel undergunned for SD purposes.
Best of both worlds :D

ang4me
April 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
I can get 1000 rds of 9mm BVAC for about $140. I had to pay $180 for 500 rds of .45 BVAC, and that was a steal. :mad: I just wish my 9mm carry weapon was as accurate as my 1911. Personally, I don't worry that much about stopping power. Shot placement ftw. But since my 1911 is more accurate than my 9mm, I get the punch and the accuracy. :)

Ditto_95
April 6, 2011, 06:16 PM
I am mostly anti 9mm because of the ballistic disadvantage over .45 ACP cal.
However, because of the abundance of 9mm ammunition, I have purchased a couple of H&K P7 PSP pistols. They are absolutely 100% reliable and small enough for my wife to carry and shoot. She love the ease of operation, squeeze and shoot.

Tactical Jackalope
April 6, 2011, 06:57 PM
I am mostly anti 9mm because of the ballistic disadvantage over .45 ACP cal

blah blah blah...

yeah cause people get hit with a bullet that's 9mm and say "Ah man, that was just a 9..whatever"

Seems to be doing just fine in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I mean yeah...Ammo choice IS a bit more crucial in self defense for a 9mm but really now?

Cornhusker77
April 7, 2011, 07:33 AM
A 9mm did do a lot of damage in Arizona, but then those weren't crackheads too stupid to know they're dead.
I don't feel a bit under-gunned with a 9mm and the right ammo.

mrray13
April 7, 2011, 08:17 AM
Another "not a 9 fan", but am getting a FNP9 tomorrow if all goes well. Actually considering making it my duty weapon, although there is something to be said about currently toting a 1945 Remington-Rand 1911A1 loaded with 230g JHP as a duty pistol.

Like others have already said, ammo cost is a driving factor, I don't reload. Plus I found a box of 9mm in the safe, leftover from a failed experiment with a Kel-Tec P11. So might as well get a pistol to shoot them with, lol.

All that said, there is still a .40 S&W Sigma, the wife loves the trigger/ergonomics, in the nightstand drawer, and my tweaked out G23 is still my off duty pistol, for now. We'll see if things stay that way in the next day or so!

Smaug
April 7, 2011, 09:12 AM
As someone who has been around a while, let me tell you that whenever you type something like: "didn't like 9mm before, but I got one now....not trying to start a caliber war..." it is only a matter of time before both sides chime in on calibers.

So you'll just have to filter those posts out if you don't want to hear it.

It is just hard to resist commenting when you say something like that. So hard, in fact, that I'm going to weigh in too. :D

I don't think you would be too bad off no matter which one you went with. Your 38 has more power, but fewer shots between reloads. 9mm is a bit easier to shoot accurately, and follow-up shots come about twice as quickly as .40 or .45 or .38. I like to think that if I had to drill someone, it would be over in one or two quick shots.

Those M&Ps are nice-looking guns, even the compacts. Post some targets!

Oh, one other thing: TAKE UP RELOADING. .38 Special costs about the same to reload as 9 mm. Maybe just slightly more since folks tend to use heavier bullets for .38. Check the link in my sig to see how easy and inexpensive it can be. I just rolled 100 rounds of .45 in my garage last night. It cost probably $13, so I saved $27 in one night.

Ditto_95
April 7, 2011, 11:18 AM
I am sure the current crop of service people absolutely LOVE the wonder nine they have.

5whiskey
April 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
I started out in my pistol career as a .45 guy, but I've never been a 9mm hater. Now I shoot 9mm almost exclusively because of the cheap ammo cost (which still isn't that cheap IMHO). 9mm is still plenty effective for SD. With modern ammo, I seriously doubt there's many cases of a human being getting hit with 9mm and surviving where a .45acp would've done the deed. Further, I seriously doubt that there's been cases when .45 stopped the fight faster than a 9mm would have, shot placement being equal.

*Before you drag up stories of Moro rebels weilding machetes and not stopping for .38 long colt when .45 did stop them, bear in mind I did say Modern Ammo