PDA

View Full Version : What Model of Winchester Model 70 did I buy?

Right to bear arms
April 3, 2011, 06:31 PM
I hate to ask dumb questions but I need to know from an expert what I bought. Yesterday I bought for $375 a Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter MAgnum in 7mm Remington Magnum. It is in good shape with a winchester synthetic stock and a detachable box magazine. Serial number is G2088XXX. Sitting on top of it is a redfield 3x9 "partner" scope. I want to know what I bought and was it a fair deal?

Rifleman1776
April 4, 2011, 08:25 AM
You just told us what you bought.
You paid the price so, to you, it was a good deal. Buyers set value, not sellers.
However, IMHO, you did good.

PawPaw
April 4, 2011, 08:28 AM
I don't know that I'm an expert, but that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If the scope is worth $100.00 and the mounts are worth $50.00 you paid $225.00 for the rifle. Not a bad deal at all.

jmr40
April 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
I've never seen an XTR in a factory synthetic stock, and with a detachable magazine. I assume it is push feed? Seems a little odd, but Winchester has made several variations. Can't keep up with them all.

They did offer a few XTR Winlite rifles with a McMillan stock. Here is a listing I found for one that sold on guns broker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220833761#PIC

These did not have a detchable magazine however. It could have had some custom work done on it as well.

Right to bear arms
April 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for getting back with me. I'll try to stay off pecuniary topics in the future. I'm just obsessed with this gun (some of you gun nuts know what it's like!) I can't find a clean lineage about this model 70 in all of my internet browsing. I'm happy with the gun, I'm glad I bought it, It is push feed with a winchester USRA synthetic stock. I once owned a prewar Model 70 with a 4000 serial number. My brother gaave me $200 for it back in '85. Wish I had that gun now.

PetahW
April 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
You have a 1993-94 Winchester Model 70 DBM-S (detachable box magazine, synthetic stock). Iron sights were optional.