PDA

View Full Version : "UPDATE" I traded my pt92 for S&W 1911!

Z400ACDC
March 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
A couple of weeks ago I ask for advise on the trade with my FIL on a like new S&W 1911. At that time, I did not trade. Since then, I bought another 9mm Sig P250sc. And after seeing the new pt92 combat finish, I was thinking about seeing my AFS(high shine) and getting the Combat finish. So yesterday, I was down at my FIL's and we were talking guns. He said that I should trade the 92 for the 1911 and then buy the combat 92 later. He said take the 1911 home and shoot it. If you don't like it, bring it back. I thought, well I should shoot it insteed of just fondling it. Well, I thought I had a box of .45 in the shop, but I could only find 7. So, I set up a 3'' target at 40'. 6 of the 7 hit the inside the 3'' target. I never thought I could do that the first time. I called my FIL and said thays the best $100 I ever spent. I still can't get use to the stiff slide release. Maybe it will get better with time. When I cleaned it this moring, it still had the factory lube in it. He said he thinks he shot a box through it. I don't think so. Thanks again for your help!!!!

Spats McGee
March 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
You do know that this thread is worthless without pics, right? :D

Congratulations.

jeepster11
March 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
i would say its worthless no pics i think you made a great trade i love my smith 1911 it shoots great. and will be even better if i can find some trueglo tfos for it.

Tactical Jackalope
March 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
+1 with Spats and Jeepster...

PICS! PLEASE!!!!!

:D

Z400ACDC
March 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
If I could, I would. I am not putter savy! The 1911 is a 05 model ss with the BIG S&W1911 on the slide.

Rugerismisticness
March 27, 2011, 01:29 PM
Haha change your signature and add pics

WC145
March 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
I still can't get use to the stiff slide release. Maybe it will get better with time.
Congrats on your new piece, I'm a big 1911 fan.
Keep in mind on a 1911 it's a slide stop, not a slide release. You might get better results by getting into the habit of releasing the slide by hand, letting it "slingshot" forward.

goodspeed(TPF)
March 27, 2011, 02:21 PM
I still can't get use to the stiff slide release.

Are you pressing on the slide release with an EMPTY magazine in the gun?

Z400ACDC
March 27, 2011, 03:24 PM
Remember, I have only fired a mag full. And yes, the slide release is hard on an empty mag. I slingshot with a full mag.

Webleymkv
March 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
The slide release will be rather hard on an empty mag as you're working against both the friction of the slide and the mag spring. If you try the slide release with either a loaded mag or no mag at all, you'll find it to be much easier to disengage. That being said, I prefer the slingshot method myself as some of my guns have slide releases and others don't, but slingshot works for all.

zombie44
March 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
The slide release will be rather hard on an empty mag as you're working against both the friction of the slide and the mag spring. If you try the slide release with either a loaded mag or no mag at all, you'll find it to be much easier to disengage.

And I thought it was just a Kahr thing, they tout this as a safety feature :confused: On my K9, it's ridiculously difficult to operate the slide release on an empty mag, I don't have this difficulty on my other semis (S&W 5906/Desert Eagle/Browning HP/Colt Gold Cup 1911), is there a way to disable this feature?

10mmAuto
March 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
No, its a mechanical function of the follower pushing up on the slide release.

goodspeed(TPF)
March 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
And yes, the slide release is hard on an empty mag.

Cut it out then.

On my K9, it's ridiculously difficult to operate the slide release on an empty mag

That goes for you too. Cut it out.