PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9 vs SR9 C triggers

Doodlebugger45
March 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have been looking at the Ruger SR9 and like them quite a bit. I'm basically a revolver type guy, but lately my wife has indicated she might like to shoot a bit more if she had a gun she liked better than my J frame with a 3" barrel. So we have been looking and holding different guns and we both kind of like the feel of the SR9.

Concealment is not an issue whatsoever in this case. Just range and plinking work only. So naturally, I was looking at the full size SR9 only. But I have read several people here who say that the trigger on the SR9 C is much better than the full size pistol. Is that generally accepted as truth? If so, why would that be? It looked to me like the compact model was just a chopped off version of the full size.

BigJimP
March 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
I think the triggers in those 2 guns are identical ... and the 2 guns you're looking at are the same width ....so to me, the 2 triggers should feel about the same as well.

But I think the only way to really tell ....is for both of you to shoot them ...so you can see if the extra weight of the bigger gun ( I think its 3 oz ) makes a big difference / how the triggers break and how they reset ...and how the gun feels in your hands is really a personal thing.

Its hard to predict - especially with new shooters like your wife ...what they will find most comfortable. I help out as an instructor a little ...and in classes with new shooters ...they tend to go all kinds of directions in terms of what they like. Even among my grandkids ...I have a Sig 239 in 9mm, an alloy frame 1911 4" in 9mm, full sized Sig 226's in 9mm, full sized 1911's 5" in 9mm ...and for 90% of the kids --- they gravitate to either the 4" 1911 / or the Sig 239. How the triggers feel to them, how the grips feel, the overall weight of the gun ...and what they think looks cool ...all comes into what guns they pick to shoot ..after they've been thru the introduction with all of them ...

In most of the classes - we shoot at least 6 different 9mm's ...Glocks, Springfields, Berettas, Sigs, 1911's ...and while I might pick the 1911 99% of the time ...its really a mix of what people are attracted to / long before they know anything about cost / or have much experience in shooting.