PDA

View Full Version : Help with AR-15 build

Silent Titan
March 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone, im new to TFL and this is my first thread so try and go easy on me.

Ok, so i have been wanting an AR-15 for a while and i now that i have surplus income each month from my job its time to pull the trigger on this project. I am looking at a 16" dissipator and I want to built it from the ground up, not from a kit. My price range is around $1200 or so. Im going to spread it out over a few months so if it ends up being a bit more thats not a huge problem, i want a quality gun that i can enjoy for years.

So far i have decided on these parts:

- daniel defence forged chrome lined 16" barrel
- RRA A4 reciever
- RRA NM 2 stage triger
- magpul moe handguard
- magpul ctr stock
- magpul folding front and rear sights

Im need help with pretty much everything else. Especially all the little parts for the upper and lower that i'll need. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

rjrivero
March 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
You can get a lower parts kit from ADCO with the trigger upgrade. www.adcofirearms.com

In fact, you can get your entire build list from them. They have it all on the shelf.

I would go with a Mid length gas system, and if you *really* want a dissy look, get a sight post mounted up front. You don't want a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel. It just plain won't run.

This is the barrel that I think fits your bill (http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=4209).....You will need the upper parts kit as well as the lower parts kit. It may be worth saving up the pennies to have them build the upper for you, unless you want to buy the barrel nut wrench, and upper receiver block, and a vice if you don't already have them.

Silent Titan
March 23, 2011, 03:13 PM
yeah that was the barrel i was looking at on the daniel defence site. It will be a few more weeks befor i have all the cash i need for this project but i will send an email over to the people at adco and see if they can make the upper i want. I might wait to assemble my own upper for the next one i "need"... maybe i can convince my neighbor to get the tools for the AR's the he is planning on getting for him and his lady.

So there is a very decent chance this rifle might see some hard conditions and rapid fire, would this be a case that a chromed bolt carrier GROUP is worth the money?

rjrivero
March 23, 2011, 06:13 PM
Kind of a loaded question.....

There are bolts that come Nitrided, chromed, and plain old parkerized. The advantages of each of the treatments are often debated.

[email protected] will sell you whatever you want, but if you ask him what bolt he has in his own gun, I'll bet you a dollar, he'll tell you it's a standard mil-spec bolt.

Quentin2
March 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
Smartgunner usually has good prices on DD uppers. Just checked but unfortunately they're out of stock of most configs though. Worth keeping an eye on if you're in no rush.

http://www.smartgunner.com/upperreceivers.aspx

pcardinal42
March 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
Be prepared to wait over 4 months also if ordering from smart gunner also.

Silent Titan
March 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
i was looking at the adco link i was sent earlier and they have most of what i want in stock, but im aware that currently alot of things are on backorder for most companys so im not in a rush to have it. I'll figure out what i want, order it and then wait however long i need to so i can have the exact gun i want. If my job has taught me anything, its being patient to get something right the first time.