PDA

View Full Version : 7mm WSM?

bailey bud
March 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
local pawn shop has a very nice looking Ruger M77 (very clean wood stock - blue is 90+ percent) on the rack ---- in 7mm WSM. It comes with a decent looking Bushnell 3-9 scope, and case --- for $550.

Well - an M77 for that price - without a scope seems llike a good price.

The shop manager did mention --- 7mm WSM is expensive - and holy cow - I can't find ammo for less than $2/round.

What's the scoop?

If I only use the rifle for hunting - I suppose $2/round isn't so bad.

It doesn't look like a gun with good prospects for weekend plinking.....

Thoughts/experience/advice?

I'm thinking I might be better off sticking with .30-06 --- although the ballistics of the 7mm WSM look fairly decent (I don't think I'm imagining that)

huntinaz
March 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
It's a good cartridge, especially if you reload it. Good long range cartridge. BUt if you're not gonna use it to its potential then you may as well buy a 30-06 and save on ammo costs IMO.

MontyCop05
March 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
I've been doing research on the .270 WSM, and In doing so I discovered that the .270 and .300 WSM are doing quite well and by current appreances are here to stay. On the flipside of that coin are the .325 and 7mm WSM's which by current accounts aren't doing so hot. I can't say that I have any actual shooting experiance with the 7mm WSM, as I said it's just what I found in reseaching the WSM's. I will say that $550 for that package isn't a bad deal if you're willing to order the ammo online, or are reloading. You might have trouble selling later though if the caliber fades. What every your choice, good luck.

Art Eatman
March 19, 2011, 08:08 AM
If sight-in and hunting are the only use, the ammo cost is no big deal. If a person takes up reloading, the per-shot cost would be no more than for the common sort of deer-hunting cartridges.

My opinion about all of the short magnums is that they're best suited for those who reload. Those who don't reload need hefty billfolds in today's world, unless usage is limited to the AR/AK/.308 cartridges.

trg42wraglefragle
March 19, 2011, 04:34 PM
Unless your doing extreme range varmint shooting or target shooting I wouldn't waste my money.
If its just going to be a deer/elk gun at normal ranges then go for 06.
06 will be cheaper on ammo, not hurt you ears, and you wont have to worry about barrel wear.

AllenJ
March 29, 2011, 03:21 PM
So Bailey what did you decide, are you going to get it?

Tikka Lover
March 29, 2011, 10:04 PM
I had a 7 WSM that shot 180 Bergers quite well. The cartridge seems very forgiving, most thing I loaded it shot lights out. Took a mule deer at 1024 yards, it was built by Stockade Guns. You really need to get into reloading unless you just plan on shooting +/- 200 yards.

armsmaster270
March 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have found my 7mm WSM to have lighter recoil than my 30-06. I love it.

Usertag
March 29, 2011, 10:38 PM
Don't buy it. Unless you are going to shoot long range.

ripnbst
March 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hell I'd buy it. Like you said thats a good price even without the scope.

You could likely part it out and make money. Maybe only $100 but you'd still be making money.

bailey bud
April 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
I passed on the rifle.

It's a high performance cartridge.

The 7WSM has fantastic ballistics - but the cost per round was the big factor. In fact - the cartridge is close to setting a world record in long range shooting (a guy in the UK had an incredibly small grouping at 1000 yds).

I'd like to SHOOT my rifle a little more than I can shoot the 7WSM.

Not really ready to jump into reloading, yet.

Will likely end up with a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem.

jimbob86
April 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'd like to SHOOT my rifle a little more than I can shoot the 7WSM.

Will likely end up with a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem.

Now that did not make a lick of sense to me......

Near as I can tell, the 7WSM is basically a Short Action equivalent of the 7Rem Mag. ....... pressures and charge weights are similar, it is just shorter and fatter.

If cost is the issue, then learn to roll your own, or shoot a cheaper cartridge (.308 WIN) ....... if recoil is the issue, you are not avoiding it with the 7RemMag.

bailey bud
April 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
I can find a case of ammo for a 7mm Rem for reasonable price.

On the other hand, 7mm WSM is downright near impossible to find around my town.

After 2 hours, I found a single box of 20 cartridges, priced at $45.

Loved the rifle. Really impressed by the cartridge's specs --- but not its price.

I'm also starting to figure out that with a little haggling, a screaming gun deal can be found any day - anywhere.

AllenJ
April 18, 2011, 04:14 PM
Bailey it sounds to me like you are making a good decision IMHO. The 7WSM is slowly dying and finding ammo for it is only going to get harder. The 7 Rem Mag is a fine round, considered by many as the perfect cartridge for mule deer and elk. I hope to be reading a post by you soon about your new rifle!