PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sales and NFA Firearms/Destructive Devices

Maus
March 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
I'm planning on cruising some estate sales next weekend and was wondering, does anyone know how I would purchase an NFA firearm or destructive device if I came across one at a good price? Would they have the paperwork ready to fill out or would I just buy it and fill the paperwork out at a police station afterwards? I don't really expect to find anything, but I figure it can't hurt to know ahead of time, just in case.

rwilson452
March 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
It's a long process that goes via the Local LEO and the BATFE. The tax stamp from the BATFE is an extra $200.

You cannot take possession until you get that back from the BATFE. (aka the ATF)

Maus
March 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
So I would have to have the seller hold the item for me until I filled out the paperwork and paid the stamp? Thanks!

rwilson452
March 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
So I would have to have the seller hold the item for me until I filled out the paperwork and paid the stamp? Thanks!

usually the executor of the estate will place the item with a NFA dealer and they will hold it until the paper drill is complete.

add: the dealer will charge a fee for this.

Maus
March 15, 2011, 06:05 PM
Alright. I figure if I do find something it will probably be fairly cheap unless the executor is gun-savvy or did their research, and worth attached fees.