PDA

View Full Version : Best mid-priced range ammo for M&P 9C

mplavellesw40
March 10, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry this question has probably been asked a couple billion times, Just got my M&P 9C back from S&W (my gun dealer told me the lead buildup on the end of may barrel was due to a improperly rifled barrel.) After doing research I found out all I had to do was clean it which is exactly what S&W did but it took them 3 weeks. I am planning on going back to the range next week and would like to avoid excess lead depositing. What mid-priced ammo is recommended? I would like to stop in at Wal-Mart for the easy way out, but will take any advice under serious consideration.

Thanks,
Matt

danez71
March 11, 2011, 08:21 AM
Anything FMJ...... is what I use in my MP9c.

I've used probably 6 different ones.

bamiller
March 11, 2011, 09:00 AM
I use the Winchester white box ammo exclusively for range use, clean my pistols after every range trip and have had no fouling buildup issue. Wal Mart handles it.

7jinxed7
March 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
I usually shoot Winchester Nato FMJ $13.99 per 50 in my area.

brabham78
March 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
Winchester White Box FMJ

bcrash15
March 11, 2011, 10:19 PM
I think you are going to be fine with anything that Wal-Mart sells. From what I see in my local stores, they generally carry only name brand and not the cheap or "economy" foreign-made ammo that some website and shops might sell. And even not all of that stuff is really bad, but some of it is "questionable." You're only problem should be getting the best deal :D. I was using white box because it was the cheapest, but after pricing changes in the last couple years at my stores, it actually became cheaper to buy Blazer in 50rd boxes as opposed to the 100rd WWB value pack. They also often sell larger quantity packs of some brands, I want to say like 250+ rounds, but when I did the math they tend to not be any special deal, just a scaled up price.

Also, you can get rounds that are fully encased in a jacket, sometimes called TMJ (total metal jacket) or other acronyms. Some bullets (including many FMJ) have exposed lead at the back of the bullet. But anything resembling a half-way decent cleaning should take care of leading that results from this.

Bamashooter
March 12, 2011, 01:58 AM
I have used alot of magtech lately and have had no issues so far. I think I paid $21+tax for 50 .45acp. WWB is another good choice for good plinking ammo.

WESHOOT2
March 12, 2011, 06:35 AM
Federal Champion 115g FMJ-RN.

Smaug
March 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
Were you shooting lead ammo before? I assume not, as it is pretty much impossible to find for an auto pistol.

If it was lead build-up (as opposed to soot or carbon build-up) and the bullets were jacketed, the build-up was from the primer if the ammo you were using.

I shoot Remington RMC when I can; it seems more reliable to me than Winchester White Box (WWB). At least, it is in my Hi-Power. Problem is, it is usually more expensive too.

chuckles
March 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
I prefer a 124gr for my M&P9c. I have a good bit of RWS 124Gr FMJ from Wal mart. $10/box and it is very good quality ammo. Mine is all made in Switzerland. I read somewhere that some is made in Hungary. Either way, I like the RWS ammo.

WVsig
March 13, 2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.weaponsworld.com/rws-9mm-luger-ammunition-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-1000-round-case.html

RWS 9mm Luger Ammunition 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket 1000 round case $199 + reasonable shipping. RWS 9mm Luger Ammunition 124 Grain FMJ 1000 round case. New production, non-corrosive, fully reloadable brass case. RWS manufacturers some of the highest quality ammunition available. This 9mm round is produced for and used by the majority of NATO pact countries in E. Europe. RWS is used by SIG SAUER for firearms function testing. Retail packaged 50 rounds per box and twenty boxes per case. 1000 rounds total.

Walmart blew this stuff out after no one bought it... at $10. I have not seen it there for over a year. This stuff also sells under the name Ecco.

My other go to for 124 grain is... Dans Ammo http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

9 mm 124 gr FMJ 1000rds CASE $209.99 9MM 124 gr full metal jacket 1,180fps 1000rds. 20bxs per case. + reasonable shipping.

These are a set above WWB & Champion. They are loaded hotter like NATO spec. I have also heard people finding NATO Winchester at Walmart for around $12.98 if you cannot buy in bulk.

chuckles
March 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
My local WM still has a bunch of the RWS. I have purchased over 2500 rounds and may stop in tomorrow and get another 1000 rds.:cool:

"This stuff also sells under the name Ecco."
I think thats Geco. I have another 2000 rds of that I bought at Natchez for $5.00 a box 5 years ago. Blue box, very good ammo.