PDA

View Full Version : Buck Mark Cleaning Frequency & Procedure

otisrush
March 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
Now that I know I need to actually clean my new Buck Mark :) (previous thread from me on the fact I didn't do an out-of-box clean) I'm curious to know what other Buck Mark owners do in terms of 1) how often they clean it and 2) some details of how they do so.

I've heard some say one can go "a lot longer than people think" between cleanings. I'm not saying I think I need to clean it with every range trip - but I am interested to understand how many rounds people put through theirs before they strip it down.

And, when stripped, do you use a bore snake or a rod? From the videos I've seen you have to remove the barrel to use a rod. I'm not afraid of removing the barrel - but I think I'd prefer to not do that every time I strip it. I'm thinking a bore snake is a good solution - but then all sorts of questions around that arise in my head: Do you put solvent on the snake? And if so do you just run it through a couple of times and let the solvent dry? My routine is solvent patch then multiple dry patches - and replicating that process with bore snake(s) sounds like a pain.

The bottom line: I'm interested in hearing some details of how people care for their Buck Marks.

Thanks.

OR

geetarman
March 8, 2011, 07:54 PM
The Buckmark I gave my son had an instruction manual that detailed how to field strip the pistol. The manual for my gun does not have those instructions.

The detailed field strip procedure has evidently caused more problems than it cured.

I do not field strip my gun. I use a tooth brush and Hoppes to clean the bolt face and breech face. I run a bore snake through the bore. . .sometimes.

I apply oil to the moving surfaces that I can reach and do not worry about the rest.

Then I shoot it. . .a lot!

Geetarman:D

Dashunde
March 8, 2011, 08:00 PM
Where is that thread about taking a Buckmark apart? Mine is due...

Tinner
March 8, 2011, 08:01 PM
It doesn't take that long to field strip the gun You need an allen wrench that they provide and a screw driver. Can have it apart in less than 1 minute.

Mike OD
March 8, 2011, 08:19 PM
I have about 1000 rounds or so through my BuckMark. After 400 rounds, I stripped it down per the videos I posted on your other thread. Haven't stripped it since, but I do shoot some Smith & Wesson spray cleaner down the bore and run a bore snake through it a few times after each trip to the range. Also use the cleaner and a small toothbrush on the ramp and breech face after each range session. Finish up with just a little oil on the slide.

So far so good. Using CCI Mini-Mags for ammo -- recommended by the Browning dealer where I got the gun.

scottl
March 8, 2011, 08:22 PM
Field strip mine each time I shoot it.Cleaning them up is part of the fun like getting them dirty.

otisrush
March 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.

For those that said you field strip it - do you remove the barrel in that process? From the vids (which are great) you can take off the slide and clean at that level - or you can go farther and remove the barrel.

OR

scottl
March 8, 2011, 10:57 PM
Newer ones the barrels are a pain to take off.I've read posts over at www.rimfirecentral.com of allen wrenches stripping before the screw gives.

Mine's a 1990 model.The barrel comes off easily with a slotted screw driver.

But you really don't need to take it off to clean

Miata Mike
March 9, 2011, 12:06 AM
I haven't stripped down my Buckmark ever, but I assure y'all once I have, I will do so every time I shoot enough in one sitting.

I have stripped my Ruger Mark II, and will do so every time out as it is easy enough. My Ruger's get cleaned religiously as it is so easy.

Cheapshooter
March 9, 2011, 12:20 AM
There is a paragraph in the owners manual for my Buckmark Camper that to me is a little hard to understand, but sounds like it's saying you don't need to take it apart for proper cleaning. In fact, it warns against it.
Although, why then did they include the hex wrench???
This pdf file is the same as the manual that came with my Buckmark bought last December.
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/08_243_bfa_buckmark_pistol.pdf
It does not show the detailed disassembly tmat this one does
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/buckmark22_03218_om_s.pdf
What gives?

FrankenMauser
March 9, 2011, 04:57 AM
I've read posts over at www.rimfirecentral.com of allen wrenches stripping before the screw gives.

Mine is of mid-80s production... and it took quite a bit of work to get the allen screws out when I got the pistol from my father.

We had taken the barrel off several times in the past, but he gave up on detailed cleanings a long time ago. So... the screw managed to tighten itself over time.

I stripped 4 allen wrenches trying to get the rear top strap screw out.

In the end, it took several days using the this process:
1. Apply penetrating oil to screw.
2. Apply light pressure to allen wrench.
3. Apply heavy pressure with super-vibrate mode of my wife's back massager (don't tell her).
4. Work allen wrench back and forth (pressure in tightening direction, then loosening direction).
5. Screw won't budge. Apply more oil, and let the pistol sit for a few hours (while vibrating it at random intervals).

Rinse, repeat....
Day three yielded a screw that suddenly loosened up during a vibrator session.

Regardless of what the manual may infer or actually say now, you DO need to removed the barrel every 1,000 rounds, or so. If you don't you will have the most ridiculous build up of crud in the most vital parts of the pistol - particularly if you use bulk ammo.

And... Every time you remove the screws from the top strap, you need to replace the synthetic washer and lock washer if you want to follow Browning's instructions. It may sound like overkill; but if you don't, the lock washers will cut into the aluminum strap and lock against the screw (providing the non-removable-screw situation that so many people describe). (The lock washers will also slowly eat away at that top strap, without the synthetic washers to protect the metal.)

Remove the barrel on a steady schedule. If you don't you face the possibility of a stuck screw.
Order the washers from Midway, Brownells, or Browning. They're cheap.
Replace them every time you remove the screws.

I give the pistol a general cleaning after every shooting trip (200-500 rounds).
I give it a full cleaning, with barrel removal, when it needs it (750-1,500 rounds).

Those of you that don't frequently remove the barrel, but haven't had a stuck screw yet... You've been running with a screw loose. ;)

(I also frequently deal with a ~1990 target model belonging to my brother, and owned a ~2000 Buckmark rifle with the updated internals and screws. - My experience is not limited to my mid-80s model.)

geetarman
March 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
I do field strip my other semi-autos but not the Buckmark.

The older Belgian Challengers were easy. Just unscrew the screw at the front of the barrel and there you were.

There must be a reason Browning changed the operator manual for the Buckmark and removed the pages that detailed how to field strip.

I am guessing, but I bet they were getting complaints about the screws loosening up that hold the top strap. Mine was plastic, not metal.

I replaced mine with the aluminum rail from Weigand and locktighted that puppy to the frame and have not tried to disassemble the gun. I do clean what I can and use a boresnake through the barrel. . .sometimes.

I am going to listen to the manufacturer and leave the rest alone.

The way I am going with that gun, I will have 5000 rounds through it this year.

I clean it the way the manufacturer suggests and shoot the dickens out of it.

Geetarman:D

scottl
March 9, 2011, 10:42 AM
Every time you remove the screws from the top strap, you need to replace the synthetic washer and lock washer if you want to follow Browning's instructions.
Exactly.Mine have never loosened.But do not overtighten the sight base screws.If you do you'll be scratching your head wondering why your slide sticks

pilpens
March 9, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have a 2 Buckmark Bullseye pistols. One does not get used often but the other has approximately 300 rounds since the last cleaning. Last cleaning involved removal of the top strap only because I was having problems with the screw backing out. So, cleaned to removed any oil, assembled with blue loctite on screw.

My normal cleaning:
1. WD40 down the barrel from the breach.
2. Patch on a nylon string down the barrel (2-3x).
3. toothpick and Q-tip the crud than can be reach on the breach, extractor (anyplace the Q-Tip will reach).
4. Oil
I clean at approx 300-400 rounds.
I use federal bulk 550 and Federal #510. No issues with lead build up.

Clay
March 9, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've taken mind apart and cleaned it many times. I find that the bulk federal ammo I use is really dirty and eventually gums stuff up to where I start getting FTF and FTE. I have only taken the barrel off once, but find you don't need to. Once you have the slide off it's easily accessible for full cleaning.