PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy the truck gun

Shipman515
March 7, 2011, 01:15 PM
Well as I listed in my previous thread, I wanted to stay between 250-350 dollars. I found a few firearms for just over my price limit that I would prefer including a 360 dollar Sig P6 and a sub compact XD-9 for ~400 dollars.

My other option is a Ruger p95 for just under 300 dollars.

Poll time.

WVsig
March 7, 2011, 01:20 PM
Of your choices the Ruger because of its capacity the fact its over built and it look like crap right out the the box so you will not feel bad leaving it in the truck to get bounced around. LOL

Just kidding about the looks like crap part. They are tanks and if they fit your hand are perfect for the roll you are envisioning.

bossman
March 7, 2011, 01:32 PM
Sigma 9mm. Get the 2 free mags offer and the gun comes with 2 mags. Load them all up and you fight your way out of a small riot. ;)

WVsig
March 7, 2011, 01:33 PM
Sigma 9mm. Get the 2 free mags offer and the gun comes with 2 mags. Load them all up and you fight your way out of a small riot.

Only if you can manage to pull that 10lb DAO trigger. LOL Just kidding.

bossman
March 7, 2011, 01:52 PM
Only if you can manage to pull that 10lb DAO trigger. LOL Just kidding.

Don't have to be accurate in a riot.

HKFan9
March 7, 2011, 01:53 PM
I think if it is going to be a designated car/truck gun for whatever reason it should be a long gun.

Kreyzhorse
March 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
Ruger. It's well made, accurate, the trigger isn't terrible and it's cheap. What more do you want from a truck gun?

LakeCruiser
March 7, 2011, 02:04 PM
Some say it doesn't look good - I don't think so
Most all say it is rugged and will shoot anything you feed it. I think so too.
Comes with 2 15 rd mags. Whats not to like about that.
You can pick up a couple other mags (Ruger or Third party) pretty reasonable.
Mine shoots great...one of the most accurate pistols I own.

bearone2
March 7, 2011, 02:33 PM
any le trade-in glock

Leejack
March 7, 2011, 02:38 PM
The sigma!

stokesj19
March 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
For me it was a toss up between the sigma, and the ruger. I went with the Sigma because it is the cheapest out of the bunch.

38superhero
March 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
Sigma and extra mags...

Cemo
March 7, 2011, 03:14 PM
Any of the four would be an excellent choice. I would probably pick the Sigma too.

Smaug
March 7, 2011, 05:18 PM
Truck gun is a role for a "nothing fancy" type of gun. You should easily be able to do it for under $300.

How about a used Ruger P89? or P85? They're out of style, and no one wants them any more. They don't look tactical enough, I guess. I had a P90 that was DYNAMITE for 10 years, until I just got bored of it and sold it to fund something else.

I'd rather have a bit cheaper, but still accurate & reliable gun, and have some money left over for the lock box to lock to the truck.

hardhat harry
March 7, 2011, 05:24 PM
Two Hi-Point 45's?

defjon
March 7, 2011, 06:29 PM
If you can get the XD-9 for just a bit more than the P95, I'd go with that. It is a first rate service pistol, in a class heads and tales beyond the Ruger.

shiyfire
March 7, 2011, 06:59 PM
I like the ruger "P" models,i have the P 85 in 9mm

threegun
March 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
I think if it is going to be a designated car/truck gun for whatever reason it should be a long gun.

Best advise on this thread so far.

Xd if forced to choose one from the list.

Sharpsdressed Man
March 7, 2011, 07:59 PM
Truck/trunk gun is a folding stock 7.62x39 AKM with a Z-point sight. It WILL punch holes in the "other" vehicle. Lots of holes. :D

proxpilot
March 7, 2011, 08:02 PM
you could get the P6 but you will end up not wanting to leave it in your truck. you will end up wanting to carry it. ;)

38superhero
March 7, 2011, 08:02 PM
P-series Rugers have gone up in price...:mad:

Average Joe
March 7, 2011, 08:35 PM
Ruger P 95 is a great gun, at a great price.

Jeremiah/Az
March 8, 2011, 01:37 AM
Consider a Glock. They are almost indestructable with a very tuff finish. I'm not a big fan of the looks, but they always go bang.

AustinTX
March 8, 2011, 02:13 AM
The Ruger P95 is a great choice for a truck/car (hand)gun. Inexpensive, totally reliable, nearly indestructible, and probably not something you'll worry much about nicking and scratching up a little.

I'd say no to the P6. Capacity is only 8+1, and older models will not feed JHP reliably. Furthermore, it's a Sig. Dings and nicks on Sigs, Berettas, HKs, and the like would bother me a lot more than on a P95, Sigma, XD, or Glock.

Consider a Glock. They are almost indestructable with a very tuff finish. I'm not a big fan of the looks, but they always go bang.

So do any number of high-quality pistols.

Ac1d0v3r1d3
March 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
I voted for the XD-9. IMHO the best choice for your budget. I carry an HK USPc in 40S&W, so I guess that's my truck gun.

Leejack
March 8, 2011, 07:31 AM
To the original poster:

All the guns you are considering are good guns and will do a good job, be it a truck gun or not, and there are many more that fit the bill too.

Having said that consider this: A truck is somewhat a confined space, meaning you might not be in an ideal position if you deploy this beast. This is why I like the idea of a no frills, no safety gun. They are easier to operate under these conditions.

Be advised that the polls run in gun forums, regardless of the question, usually turn into a popularity contest. We tend to vote for the one they like best whether or not it's the best one for the intended purpose. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good gun and don't worry about scratches and wear.

All good guns on your list, let us know what you choose and good luck.

microman
March 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ruger p95

NJgunowner
March 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
I love sigs, couldn't leave one in the vehicle :D

The ruger will fit the bill very nicely and get the job done. That would be my choice. Or a used Ruger gp100. If all else fails you can beat them down with that thing :)

Shipman515
March 8, 2011, 06:30 PM
Went with the subcompact XD for 375 OTD. Figured this was a reasonable price and if I wanted to carry it instead of keep it in the truck, it'd be much easier to do so with this than the P95. Thanks for all the replies.

proxpilot
March 8, 2011, 06:53 PM
very good gun the Springfield is! enjoy

bigrebnc1861
March 8, 2011, 08:04 PM
Two Hi-Point 45's?

I agree Hardhat harry now thats real value.

Pico
March 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
I agree with the underfolding AK mentioned earlier mainly because I want one. But for a handgun any used .357 magnum. Somehow it seems a truck gun should be a revolver.

Pico

rshanneck2002
March 8, 2011, 09:05 PM
Kel-tec PLR-16., 10 to 30 rds of immense firepower if needed. People say overkill, B/S, in a hot situation its never enough. cops hate them but if you have a Concealed weapons permit nothing can be said unless you live in commiefornia or NYC. scares most people because it resembles a small submachine pistol which it isnt,although you can empty thirty in 5 to 7 seconds 10 at the most with rapid trigger pull and very accurate for its size with just about any red dot. Overkill? matter of what you think i guess. Good truck gun for under $500. stripped $600 with shoulder strap and forearm. TRY IT? YOU will like.

stand watie
April 1, 2011, 03:22 PM
to ALL:

imVho as a long-service (now retired) LEO,when i think of a "truck-gun", i think of a 12guage Remington Model 870 riot gun
OR
a 2/4 inch Model 10 S&W.
(something REALLY simple to use, dependable & CHEAP.)

fwiw, my "truck guns" are:

1. .38SPL Colt's Cobra in the glovebox,
2. Savage double barrel 12guage "sawed-off"
&
3. 4" (1960s vintage) Model 10 S&W in the toolbox.

those are in addition to the Sig P6 that's always on my belt (if i'm dressed).

yours, sw

ET.
April 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
I don't have a truck, therefore I don't have a truck gun. I do have a Jeep, so I do have a Jeep gun. I have experience with only one gun on your list. My Sigma has been 100% reliable for 3 years now. I carry it on occassion in my Jeep. If I'm staying in Georgia I will usually just carry my Glock27 in my holster.

I own a Hi-Point (a poster said to buy 2 of them for the money). Yeah...no I wouldn't do that. My Hi-Point sits in my tool chest in the garage. If I am traveling where I can't carry then I take either the Sigma or my Taurus pt111 mil pro. Neither have ever had a failure to feed or fire in thousands of rounds. All in all I think any of your 4 listed guns would be a good truck gun. Good luck.

Daekar
April 1, 2011, 05:04 PM
I've always felt that a vehicle gun should be a revolver or a long gun. Revolver because of simplicity and zero mag springs. Long gun because the vehicle affords enough space for one. A short shotgun or a pistol caliber carbine are good choices. I bet you can find a short pump action, a Hi-Point Carbine, or a Keltec Sub-2000 for relatively cheap. My car gun, once I have money for such a thing, will be a 357 revolver more than likely.

If I had the space to keep a long gun it would probably be a 357 levergun, but I like the idea of pump shotgun. Would probably load it with slugs, but there are compelling arguements for buckshot. That upcoming keltec bullpup 12-gauge looks like a great candidate, but a bit on the expensive side. Of course, the SKS is a good candidate too.

grumpa72
April 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
I can't believe that there aren't more votes for the Sig P6. Built like a tank, trade-in (so you don't have to worry about its newness), Sig reputation, and always fires, always.

AustinTX
April 2, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've always felt that a vehicle gun should be a revolver or a long gun. Revolver because of simplicity and zero mag springs.

Have you ever looked on the inside of, say, a S&W revolver? They're far from simple.

I can't believe that there aren't more votes for the Sig P6. Built like a tank, trade-in (so you don't have to worry about its newness), Sig reputation, and always fires, always.

It's not terribly hard to believe that people wouldn't want to use a Sig as a truck gun. Even bought used, a lot of people will want to keep nicks, dings, and gouges off of a Sig.

Then there's the fact that the gun only holds 8+1 while all of the others offer 15+1 or 16+1 capacity. Also, older models of the P6/P225 will not feed JHP rounds reliably. Finally, Sigs with stamped sheet-steel slides are far less corrosion-resistant than an XD, stainless Sigma, or stainless P95.

Onward Allusion
April 2, 2011, 11:27 AM
Ruger P95 if it fits your hand and you only shoot traditional SA/DA. Sigma if you have smaller hands and you prefer DAO revolver type triggers. Both are dependable.

MrWesson
April 2, 2011, 11:51 AM
Kel-tec sub 2000 is the perfect truck gun(assuming you CCW)

Folds very small(16")
33rds of 9mm or 29rds of .40
longer barrel accelerates bullet by 200fps or more(if you handload for it)
deploys quickly
cool :cool:

chadstrickland
April 2, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lol...come on fellows..I know this isn't on the list...but I personally use a old springfield gi 1911...its rattles its scratched up..and the sights are old low profile military ones..I leave my sig sauer 226 tac ops inside by my bed layin on a blanket so it doesn't get scratched by the wood ( who cares about the table :) )....I would find some old abused 1911 with a good frame and rebuild it...it would be the best truck gun ever...or a used glock...probably get them pretty cheap...but who knows..don't know much about the guns listed on the poll

stand watie
April 5, 2011, 12:21 PM
AustinTX; all,

to Austin: greetings from the Alamo City. - how many hundred/thousand rounds of various HP have you run through a P6 of ANY vintage?

to all: fyi, my "dead stock", 04/82 vintage, P6 has happily digested every sort of bullet that i've fed it & i have carried it 7/365 for over 6 years & literally fired thousands of JHP through it with nary a problem.

my favorite is Winchester stock number "9JHP", as it is a "ballistic twin" of the government hardball that i get FREE in any normal quantity.
(i bought my P6, after i retired from USACIDC & became a SC State Constable = SC law & SLED regulations forbid Constables from carrying any caliber except .38spl/.357mag OR a 9MM, so i could NOT carry my Colt's Government Model at work.)

wouldn't take love or money for my "chunky little fellow".= if i'm dressed, it's on my belt.

yours, sw

lawnboy
April 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just read the thread and noticed a couple comments about the P6 FTF issue when using JHP's. I've experienced this as well. I'm told that its easily fixed by a gunsmith.

I wouldn't know because I elected to keep trying ammo until I found some that worked well in my P6. I've put about 200 rounds each of Remington R9MM1 (115gr JHP) and the UMC equivalent L9MM1 through the gun with nary an FTF.

Don't get me wrong, this was an expensive process, and I might've been better off just having a gunsmith machine the early 1980's feed ramp. It jammed once or twice per mag with Winchester PDX. It was better with Hornady Critical Defense with that little plastic tip but still jammed every couple mags. Hydra shok was a disaster. The flying trashcan profile of the bullet caught on the right corner of the feed ramp on every other round. But the rounded profile of the Remington rounds works perfect.

It always fed FMJ flawlessly (I've never had a stoppage with FMJ) and like I said above, I've gone through several boxes of my Rem JHP's with no issue yet. And stopping power is only very slightly below standard pressure Hydrashok on the tables I've seen. I imagine it would also feed R9MM6 or R9MM3 one of which which is the +P version of the same JHP round. But in a 30yr old gun??????? Call me soft but I'm leery. Sig says it will be fine though.

I'd have picked the P6.

loose_holster_dan
April 5, 2011, 05:40 PM
Stay away from sigma!!! They are complete and utter trash!!

AustinTX
April 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
to Austin: greetings from the Alamo City. - how many hundred/thousand rounds of various HP have you run through a P6 of ANY vintage?

to all: fyi, my "dead stock", 04/82 vintage, P6 has happily digested every sort of bullet that i've fed it & i have carried it 7/365 for over 6 years & literally fired thousands of JHP through it with nary a problem.

While I'm glad that you have experienced no problems whatsoever, our individual experiences don't do much in the way of supporting or contradicting the well-known fact that the P6s with a feed ramp angle of 52 degrees instead of 54 degrees often, in the aggregate, have difficulty feeding JHP ammo reliably.

AustinTX
April 5, 2011, 10:00 PM

Nah. I wouldn't want one, but they're solid, no-frills, durable, reliable guns with unimpressive triggers.

stand watie
April 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
AustinTX,

pardon me, but what you stated is, at least imVho & that of numerous LEOs (who shoot them), rather than fact, a MYTH. - i suspect, but do NOT know, that the MYTH was dreamed up by people who want to sell you NEEDLESS gunsmithing.

fyi, a KNOW a whole flock of LEOs who carry the P6 because it is both fully reliable & (at least a couple of years ago - NOT so cheap now. = around here the price for a decent-looking one is now well over 450.oo. - fyi, i wish that i had bought several, rather than one, as the Constable Assn's "group buy" price was, i think, about 275.oo each.) dirt CHEAP, for what it is.
(when i was a State Constable in SC, i knew at least 20 SCs who were shooting P6, without problems, with hardball/WC/lead HP/JHP/cheap reloads.)

once more, have you ACTUALLY fired several hundred/thousand rounds from the P6 or are you stating someone else's opinion?

yours, sw

stand watie
April 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
to ALL:

at the tender age of 64YY, i never thought that i'd ever wear a police uniform again
BUT
i'm about to be appointed as a Special Ranger for one of our local historical TX shrines
AND
i NEED a LEFT-hand basketweave, black, "duty holster" to fit my P6.
(NOBODY around here has any NOR do they seem to be interested in "special ordering" just ONE holster.)

IF you have such a good used "duty holster", i would be a buyer.

yours, sw

Cornhusker77
April 7, 2011, 07:43 AM
For a truck gun I'd say the Sigma.
I like the others, but if I was gonna leave one in the pickup and take a chance on it being stolen or confiscated after an accident or whatever, I'd want something inexpensive but dependable.
The SW9VE Sigmas are reliable, accurate, light and tougher than wang-leather.

stand watie
April 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
to ALL,

fwiw, evidently we have some REALLY great members here! = within 24 hours of posting the need, i was offered TWO duty holsters to fit my P6. - BOTH at great prices. = problem solved!

yours, sw

ET.
April 13, 2011, 10:36 AM

The first generation of Sigmas were "complete utter trash", but after S&W realized that they had rushed the Sigma to market to counter Glock they concentrated on fixing Sigma's problems. With the 2nd generation S&W now had a reliable weapon. The problem was that the word had already gotten out that Sigma was "utter trash". Nobody wanted a Sigma. S&W killed their chances with the LEO market because they wanted something to counter Glock & didn't wait for a debugged version of the Sigma. Idiot marketing department!!!

Sigma has a 12 lbs. trigger pull. Some people do not care for such a heavy trigger, but in this case a heavy trigger is a good thing in a truck gun. You want a gun that won't fire until you are actually aiming it at something you want blown away. Grabbing a gun from the glove box, arm rest or under the seat means that you might not always grab the gun in a safe way. With the Sigma even if your finger inadvertantly slides into the trigger guard while you are grabbing it, it isn't going to fire. I like this gun for that reason & the fact that Sigmas are now a very reliable gun to carry with you. S&W took the trash out years ago with their Sigma line of guns.