PDA

View Full Version : Wally World gun counter

Yung.gunr
March 2, 2011, 07:29 PM
So I was at Wally World today looking at the .22 bolt actions and he was telling me that the Savage guns had a floating barrel from the factory. Has anyone heard of this? I was looking on the site and I didn't see anything about it. From my understanding it can lead to better accuracy and would kind of be like bedding it because the only point where it makes contact is the action. Is that right?

M.O.A.
March 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
my 93r17 was and all that i looked at where

mc223
March 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
Its true. I have a Mark I and a Mark II that are floated. Accutrigger is way cool too.

Incognito
March 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mark II here, and yes, it is.

Fullboar
March 2, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yes all else being equal a floating barrel will generally be more accurate, especially if it is a wooden or laminated stock thats being used in extreams of the enviroment like heat, cold, wet and dry.
You can usually tell if a barrel has been floated by getting a dollar bill holding it either side of the barrel and sliding it between the barrel and the stock all the way up near the action. If it makes it to the action it's floated if it doesn't it's not.

bigautomatic
March 2, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yes, the Savage barrels are floated. A barrel that doesn't make contact with the stock is generally more accurate. Is it the same as bedding the action? Nope. MOST factory stocks are not tightly fit to the action, leaving room for movement from shot to shot, which affects accuracy. Some are way worse than others. I haven't handled the Accustock (or whatever), but the premise seems good.

Jim243
March 2, 2011, 10:01 PM
Can you imagine that, it is not fair to us mega gun manufacturers like Remingtom, that keep buying up all the competition so people will not realize that our products keep getting worse and worse.

Can you believe that Savage even installs aluminium blocks into their stocks that are bedded so the barrel wouldn't move and use stocks that wouldn't warp or or swell when wet and air gauge their chambers to check that they are the right dementions and tight, then they install that Accurtrigger and free float the barrel, really unfair to us junk makers.

And if that wasn't bad enough they even price and sell their rifles at a reasonable price well below what everyone else overcharges for.

Unfair I tell you, really unfair.

Jim

Have to go now and clean all my Savages, this will take some time.
Jim

mrgoodwrench76
March 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself Jim. Do you have much experience with the accustock (aluminum bedding)? I picked up a model 10 last year with this feature. This is the only rifle Ive ever shot cloverleafs with fresh out of the box with factory loads. Well, except my other 3 Savages :D. How do you think this compares to traditional (glass, pillar, full......) bedding?

Yung.gunr, Savage has a lot of good videos explaining all this on their website

http://savagearms.com/accuracy/

Heres their .22lr line, my preference shown first of course :cool:

http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I dont think their taperd barrels are full floated. The ones I've seen have forward pressure points which is typical of this type of barrel.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Their customer service is great too. Mainly because I've never had to use them for more than answering annoying questions (for which they sent me a t-shirt).

Not all models come with these features mentioned so be sure of what your buying.

Fullboar
March 3, 2011, 12:46 AM
Can you imagine that, it is not fair to us mega gun manufacturers like Remingtom, that keep buying up all the competition so people will not realize that our products keep getting worse and worse.

Can you believe that Savage even installs aluminium blocks into their stocks that are bedded so the barrel wouldn't move and use stocks that wouldn't warp or or swell when wet and air gauge their chambers to check that they are the right dementions and tight, then they install that Accurtrigger and free float the barrel, really unfair to us junk makers.

And if that wasn't bad enough they even price and sell their rifles at a reasonable price well below what everyone else overcharges for.

Unfair I tell you, really unfair.

Jim

Have to go now and clean all my Savages, this will take some time.
Jim .

Hi Jim
Not trying to be a smart ass or bash Savage but there cheaper line like the Edge/Axis well for a little more you can get something alot better. Over here we pay around $480 for the Edge/Axis and you can buy a Weatherby Vanguard for around $570 or a Howa 1500 for around $650 both Blued/Synthetic Sporter. The Vanguard stock feels better (not as flexable near the foregrip) but the barrel isn't floated and it doesn't have a bedding block like the Savage. The Howa has a Hogue stock with a bedding block and the barrel is free floated and IMHO the Hogue stock is miles ahead of the Savage. The Savages could do with a stock upgrade but I can't find one (I think it may be because the Savage has the Recoil Lug built into the stock). IMHO the Howa/Vanguard's trigger is miles ahead of the Savage (it wouldn't be if the Axis/Edge had a Accutrigger like the more expensive Savages). Also I don't think the finish is as good as the Howa/Vanguard but the finish on the dearer Savages are up there with the best of them.

Jim243
March 3, 2011, 01:16 AM
No problem, Savage is not everyone's cup of tea. And the Axis/Edge is the lower end of the Savage line, use to be the Stevens. I do like the idea that if I burn out a barrel, I can swap it out myself for little dollars.

By the way the Axis/Edge on sale goes for $329.00 USD here. You must be paying an import tax on them.

My best friend, who is on perminant disability was able to purchase two, one in 223 and one in 308 which he always wanted but couldn't afford. He loves the stocks, (?) not sure I would agree, but they are supper accurate (no Accurtrigger). I would not buy one without the Accurtrigger (I have three, 223, 243 and 270). I checked out the Vanguard and was not impressed with what it should be for a Weatherby ($399.00 retail here). I looked at a Howa 223 w/ Axion stock and it was selling for $1,000 here. (had to pass on that) but I really liked the gun, had a really nice scope on it. I would go with the T3 but the prices are way too high here (must be the import fees).

There are a lot of good guns out there and Savage is just one of them.
Jim

Here's a picture of my 223, not an axis as you can tell.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0245.jpg

Fullboar
March 3, 2011, 08:14 PM
No problem, Savage is not everyone's cup of tea.
I do like Savage's, I think there rimfires like the 93 BRJ, 93 BSEV are **** hot. Whats not to love about them, yes my next 22 Mag or 17HMR will be a Savage.
By the way the Axis/Edge on sale goes for $329.00 USD here. You must be paying an import tax on them.
No it not the taxes it's the importer is a money hungry rip off prick. We have a free trade agreement with the USA so there's no import taxes, we only have 10% GST (Get Screwed Tax). At the moment the Aussie dollar is worth about $1.02 USD but we are still paying between 50 and 100% more then you. It works that way with everything we buy. For instance, the Hodgdon Varget you buy over there in the USA is made here in Australia and you pay around $20.00 per pound over here we buy 1/2kg (about a pound) for around $42, I cant work out why other then we get ripped off on everything.

Jim243
March 3, 2011, 08:52 PM
And here I thought our distribitors here were money hungry A##es. I did not know Savage made a mod 25 with an Axion stock. (I am in love), but want the winter camo Axion stock with that cooler than cool fluted barrel.

Now you have done it, I was on a gun diet (just purchased a AR carbine), I now have to go on a spending diet till I can afford one. (THANKS)

Good luck.
Jim

Aah, I found it a Model 93.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

M.O.A.
March 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
ha jim you said that the edge/axis use to be the stevens does this mean there droping the stevens?

M.O.A.
March 4, 2011, 04:59 PM
oh and by the way nice rig looks a lot like mine but i have a plastic stock still

hooligan1
March 4, 2011, 05:29 PM
WOW!!!! Jim 243, has a bedroom full of reloading gear !!! wow man your my hero dude,(my wife would never entertain this idea):eek:;) beautiful man!!