PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a Kimber .45

BryanWalker
February 27, 2011, 01:55 AM
I recently got my CCW. I have a LCP in .380 for just throwing in the pocket and going, but on occasion I would also like to take my Kimber .45 out for a walk. It is larger, how do those of you that carry full size .45 keep them concealed effectively?

AZAK
February 27, 2011, 04:27 AM
I live in Alaska.

No problem.

But seriously, I have carried in southern states when traveling wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a short sleeve button up shirt with both IWB and OWB holsters. Not very difficult.

And yes, the LCP in a pocket is easier and there are times when I do pocket carry over carrying a 1911; when I am in front of an audience, I am just personally more comfortable when being stared at for a couple of hours straight by many sets of eyes pocket carrying.

Yet I carry a 1911 pretty much daily.
Biggest "challenge" is the grip sticking out if you bend over "wrong"; and with a good holster and belt, not too much of a problem even then.

Kreyzhorse
February 27, 2011, 05:54 AM
A 1911 is actually very easy to conceal even OWB. You will need a good leather gun belt and a good holster. If you go OWB, find one like the Galco Fletch that holds the gun high and tight to your body.

Any loose fitting shirt untucked will cover the gun up pretty easily. From there you are ready to go.

If you really want to carry that Kimber, don't buy a cheap belt and holster. The belt supports the weight of the gun and helps it stay where you want it to.

Chui
February 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
What they said...

BerettaBuckeye
February 27, 2011, 09:57 AM
What model Kimber? I carry a Kimber Ultra in a clip on IWB ( Aker or High Noon )with no extra steps other than making sure my shirt is untucked. And many guys do the same with full sized 5" guns. I find that I can carry a 1911 with an Officer's lightweight frame almost as easy as anything else but an all steel gun with a full size frame takes too much work. But that's me. Whatever you have I would say your best bet is to just start carrying it and see what works.

S_Constitutionist
February 27, 2011, 03:25 PM
Check out the Crossbreed Supertuck or KHolster Full Moon for comfy, fullsize IWB carry.

I carry a Browning Hi Power in them and they conceal surprisingly well. Your 1911 is even a bit thinner than my setup; thickness is really under-rated when it comes to concealment.