PDA

View Full Version : Colt Commander and Colt Compact

NWCP
February 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
Are the overall dimensions of the 1911 Colt Commander and the 1991A1 Colt Compact the same? I'm looking at a holster made for the Commander and am wondering if it will fit my Compact. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on the holster to check the fit.

Dfariswheel
February 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
The are not the same size.

The Commander has a full length grip like the Government Model with a 4 1/4" slide and barrel.
The Colt Compact is basically an Officer's Model ACP, which has a much shorter grip and a barrel and slide only 3 1/2" long.

A Commander size holster will fit the Compact, but the slide and barrel will be much shorter than the holster.

Aguila Blanca
February 23, 2011, 10:08 PM
^^^ What he said.

M1991A1 Compact = Officers ACP with less fluff-n-buff to the finish.

KyJim
February 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
The grip length doesn't normally matter in fitting holsters. However, the Compact has a three inch barrel and the Commander has a 4.25 inch barrel. Usually, the Compact will fit in a holster for a Commander but not vice versa. Still, if you want a holster for a Compact, get one to fit. No reason to have a holster more than an inch too long. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Compact.

M1991A1 Compact = Officers ACP with less fluff-n-buff to the finish. Not exactly. As noted above, the true Compact has a three inch barrel and the Officer's ACP has a 3.5 inch barrel. I learned that when I was over 40 years old.

NWCP
February 23, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks to all. Juist what I needed to know. I've wanted a DelFatti ISP/LP for my 1991A1 Compact. I already own one for my HK P7M8 and another for my USP 40. It would be the ideal holster for the Compact (JMHO). Found one for a decent price only as you have pointed out it isn't the the correct size. I should have ordered one a few years back when I had him make one for the USP. As it is I waited two years to get my holster for the USP. Now he's not accepting any new orders. Bummer.

Aguila Blanca
February 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Quote:
M1991A1 Compact = Officers ACP with less fluff-n-buff to the finish.
Not exactly. As noted above, the true Compact has a three inch barrel and the Officer's ACP has a 3.5 inch barrel. I learned that when I was over 40 years old.
Sorry, Jim, but he asked specifically about an M1991A1 Compact. I don't know what you're thinking of as a compact, but I happen to own two Colt M1991A1 Compacts, plus the complete upper assembly for a third. It has a 3-1/2" barrel and slide that are mechanically identical to an Officers ACP. Some other manufacturers use the generic description "compact" to designate a 3" pistol, but for Colt the "M1991A1 Compact" is (was -- no longer offered) a specific model designation.

KyJim
February 24, 2011, 05:11 PM
Something else learned, I guess. :)