PDA

View Full Version : First day with the new .308

WWWJD
February 19, 2011, 06:04 PM
I've not shot a high power rifle in years, and never owned one. Here lately I'd been feeling the bug to get something put together. I want to go deer hunting, but I also just want to have fun through the summer target shooting. I wound up with a SPS tactical. Burris Extreme rings, Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 MIL/MIL (from Midway USA), and EGW single piece picatinny rail. I also installed a Karten Kydex cheek rest, and Harris SBRM bipod. Today, the weather actually got nice enough for me to brave out to the back of the family farm and put some down range.

http://i52.tinypic.com/9860dw.jpg

I got it on paper with some Federal soft point 150gr (308A), and then switched over to Federal GMM 168gr (GM308M). The best group I shot at 100 yards:

http://i56.tinypic.com/kb1ys7.jpg

I really was humbled by how much trouble I was having holding still, even with the bipod. I was shooting prone with the bipod, (called myself) controlling my breath, and trying to settle between shots. I was still dancing all over the place. At 100 yards, those little 1" squares are really little! I must do this again next weekend. Just wanted to share.

http://i53.tinypic.com/256hitl.jpg

~Mark

Fullboar
February 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
For someone that hasn't shot a large cal rifle much before you cant complain about that group. Nice rifle as well

BIGR
February 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
Nice rifle and some pretty good shooting for someone thats not shot one in a while.

Sturdyman
February 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
Great pictures.

I stopped by a gun shop today and they suggested I purchase the Remington SPS Tactical with a few modifications. I was dead set on a Savage but will pull the trigger on this set up. I just might have to get both. Without the bipod the SPS Tactical would make a great all weather hunting rifle.

Good weather is just around the corner. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Seven1
February 19, 2011, 07:04 PM
Nice rifle and scope combo, I have the nearly the same setup except mine is a 10FP Savage. Good shooting, should've brought a coyote call with:D

CMDrew6115
February 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
I wish I had your land, I don't have anywhere to shoot.

gunmoney
February 19, 2011, 09:04 PM
Nothing wrong with a bi-pod but I prefer to shoot off of a pack or sand bags. I have a little better luck with stability that way.

brmfan
February 19, 2011, 09:06 PM
"I really was humbled by how much trouble I was having holding still, even with the bipod."

Couple of tips...
1. Learn how to 'load' the bi-pod.
2. Use a pinch/ squeeze bag or monopod under the heel of the stock.
3. Practice practice practice!

Nice setup! Have fun!

jhgreasemonkey
February 19, 2011, 09:09 PM
Nice set up. How do you like the bushnell elite?

WWWJD
February 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
Judging by what I've read, the scope is as good or better than what a $200 scope should be. It has a bit of chromatic aberration, but it didn't mess with me too much. Perhaps sometime in the next couple of years I'll throw down on something a little better. I wear glasses, so that might be playing a part as well. I also wish it had about 1 more inch of eye relief.

38superhero
February 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
nice first group....

hootey
February 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
Nice, Nice, and Nice. You could have done a lot worse. Work on your breathing, trigger pull, and add a top of the line sling. Try shooting some 168gr match rounds and some 175gr match rounds. Your rifle might like them better than the 150's, especially if it has a 1/10 or tighter twist. Just a suggestion from a grey haired guy. Precision shooting is a lot harder than it looks on tv. Practice, Practice, Practice.:)

grubbylabs
February 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
That is a nice set up, and nice shooting.

WWWJD
February 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the tips guys; looks like I might have started to dig a new money pit. :D

Rimfire5
February 20, 2011, 04:21 PM
I would recommend that you first get used to the new rifle and the trigger. Try some of the match ammo mentioned. My Savage 10 FP loves Federal Gold Match and Black Hills Match with the 168 grain Sierra Match King bullets. Fortunately, I didn't have to mess with the Savage to get it to shoot accurately.

Then after those steps with your SPS, if you're still not happy with the accuracy at 100 yards, then consider a trigger adjustment or change.

You didn't say how your trigger was in the SPS Tactical.

I switched out my trigger in my SPS Varmint (.22-250 caliber) with a Timney because the factory trigger pull was over 5 lbs. :(
It took me some amount of time to get comfortable with that stiff a trigger when I was trying for accuracy.
After finding out that I was not going to be able to get past that trigger hurdle, I finally replaced the factory trigger with an easily adjustable Timney set at just over 2 lbs 3 oz.
The new trigger improved my groups quite a bit.

Personally, I decided not to mess around with adjusting a Remington trigger so I bought a Timney drop-in trigger that can be adjusted without creating fears of surprise hammer strikes. The drop-in required a bit of grinding to accommodate the added width of Timney trigger and then a bit more when I found that dropping the pull weight on the Timney meant that the adjustment screw protruded a bit further into the stock area in front of the screw. With a bit of Dremmel work, I was done in 30 minutes, ready to shoot.
I thought it was an easy improvement and I am no gunsmith.

My group sizes improved quite a bit and it now shoots smoothly and regularly manages to group under 0.6 inches and with its favorite weights it is pushing down under 0.5 with two loads averaging around 0.45. :)

WWWJD
February 20, 2011, 09:19 PM
I suppose the trigger is ok. I don't really have anything to compare it to.. so... *shrugs* :).

Rimfire5
March 6, 2011, 07:22 AM
WWWJD

If you don't have a trigger guage, you can get some idea of the trigger pull by:
1) making sure the rifle is unloaded
2) making a weight rig with a gallon milk jug you can cut the side out of and add water to
3) Close the bolt so the rifle is ready to fire and stand the rifle up and put a hanger on the trigger making sure it is touching just the trigger
4) put the empty milk container on the hanger
5) slowly add water to the container until the trigger releases
6) take the container and hanger off the rifle and weigh them together.

That is a rough measure of your trigger pull.

If you want to be sure do it 5 times and take the average.

My SPS was about 5 lbs 6 ounces from the factory with a Lyman Electronic trigger guage and it had a bit of roughness in the pull. Rather than mess with a Remington trigger amidst all the controversy, I bought a Timney trigger on sale for just under $ 90. It improved my accuracy a lot.
With the Timney, I set it at 2 lbs 2 oz to match up to my other rifles.
After about 400 rounds, the Timney is now a very smooth 1 lb 8 oz so I'll probably tighten it up just a bit.

Good luck with your new rifle. I shoot a lot but I am a recent convert to .30 cal centerfires and it took me a couple of sesions to get comfortable and learn each new rifle as I added the last 4 to my growing arsenal.

Loading the bipod really works. You simply put pressure on the bipod in the direction opposite to the way the legs fold. If your legs fold forward, that means pressing forward slightly, pressing them backward, to make the legs stable against the ground. It works even on concrete.

TPAW
March 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
brmfan posted:

Couple of tips...
1. Learn how to 'load' the bi-pod.
2. Use a pinch/ squeeze bag or monopod under the heel of the stock.
3. Practice practice practice

What does it mean to "load" the bi-pod?

Thanks

gearhounds
March 6, 2011, 05:14 PM
Nice first group, especially for an out of the box weapon. Give it some time and break in before any cosmetic surgery!:D

hootey
March 8, 2011, 08:15 PM
Take all the advise offerred here, read every book you can lay your hands on by David Tubb, and practice, practice, practice!. If ya can't find anythingby Tubb, go to MidwayUSA.com, they have a good selection of reading material. Also get yourself a copy of "Slings & Things", very informative book. Never stop learning or looking for info on how to do better.
I shoot prone when I can. Off a rest or a bypod, when I get everything dialed in, ie: grip on weapon being fired, sight picture in scope or sights, breathing, and trigger pull, I know if I hit my target 90% of time without looking. With practice you will do everything automaticly without thinking.
One rifle I have is equipped with a 36x scope. When I get set and ready to fire, there is no movement in my optics as I look at the target. I use my hold on the weapon, my breathing, and my sling. At 100yds, 200yds, or however far I am shooting, there is minimum movement of the target dot on the target. Takes practice. I won a few matches years ago but, there are a lot good ole boys and girls doing better now than I ever did. Didn't mean to write a book, read all ya can, try all ya can, and retain what works for you. Good luck.:D