PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Kel Tec

Yung.gunr
February 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Im still trying to decide what to get next and Kel Tec was suggested. I have a cousin who pocket carried one for a while but has said he is overall not happy with it. What are your feelings about them? I was wanting to stay with a 9mm.

tynimiller
February 18, 2011, 02:34 PM
PF9 is a sweet little set up. I personally don't carry one, but a good friend of mine has for 2 years and loves it. I'd recommend starting there.

Uncle Malice
February 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
If I didn't already own and love my Walther PPS, I'd be carrying a PF9 for sure. And at about half the price of the PPS, it's a good little gun. It's not as pretty. It's not as good of a trigger. But the PF9 is a good little shooter for the money - and pretty much the lightest of the single stack mini 9mm's.

The trigger might take a little getting used to and you may or may not need to do a little fluff and buff, but I'd bet if you get a PF9 at under $300, buy a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and get yourself acquainted with the gun, you'll probably love it.

You'll especially appreciate the weight (or lack thereof)

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/KTPF9/IMGP4687ModS.jpg

bamiller
February 18, 2011, 03:34 PM
Switched my pocket carry to the Keltec P11 from my Kahr PM9. P11 has been very reliable thus far, is just a tad larger than the PM9, 1/3 the price, and holds 10 rounds versus 6.

Japle
February 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
Kel-Tec guns aren't pretty, but they're very dependable and their customer service is first rate.

I carry a P3AT daily as my BUG and have one of their 9mm folding carbines. Both are ugly. Both fire every time. Both are plenty accurate for their purpose.

angel71rs
February 18, 2011, 03:47 PM
My P-3AT is a great little pistol, take it with me everywhere it's legal, so easy to slip into a pocket in the El Paso Saddlery holster I got for it. But the machining is a little rough, finish on KTs has a well deserved rep for being less than durable. Still no way would I get rid of my little P3.

Just bought a PF9, like it too, felt recoil is stiffer than the P3, but don't think it's too bad. Surprisingly accurate too. It's having some teething pains, hopefully will get to range this weekend to see if it's good to go. Pic of my KTs:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/angel71rs/Kel-Tec/Kel-Tecs2.jpg

eviltravis
February 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
I bought a p3AT for my wife. It functions reliably and hides away well. On the flip side it's to small to hang onto. It whacks me in the trigger finger with the trigger guard every shot and I can't hit squat with it. It's one of those guns that my wife doesn't have to worry about me borrowing. :-D

rickit
February 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
i have the 32, p11 and pf9 never had a malfuction with none of the three they wont win any awards on looks but consider what hey cost they dont look to bad

iblong
February 18, 2011, 05:06 PM
I had a couple of Pf9's for a while Mine had 1500 rnds and no issues the wifes had 800 with a couple do to limp wristing, recoil was brisk but accuracy was not bad.My P3AT has been 100%since day one and though I rarely carry it I wont part with it,Its nice for those times you cant really carry.

michael t
February 18, 2011, 08:38 PM
Well I have 380 and wife and daughters have the p-32's . All happy with the KelTecs I want a PF-9 one of these days

t45
February 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
My main carry gun is my PF-9 if that means anything.

Cornhusker77
February 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
I have the PF9 and the PT3AT, both good guns and easy to carry.
I'm actually more accurate with the P3AT.

I bought a p3AT for my wife. It functions reliably and hides away well. On the flip side it's to small to hang onto. It whacks me in the trigger finger with the trigger guard every shot and I can't hit squat with it. It's one of those guns that my wife doesn't have to worry about me borrowing. :-D

I had that problem with mine, but discovered that if I pull the trigger and consciously hold it back for a second instead of releasing right away, I don't get a sore finger.

JCP281
February 18, 2011, 10:04 PM
Im also seriously contemplating getting a P3AT.. iv always been an LCP fan, but it seems Kel-Tec has smoothed out a lot of their issues over the years from my previous research.

i already have a list of mods for it if I decide to snag one...seems like the fluff/buff, a grip pad and some shock absorber around the trigger guard would pretty much correct every issue with it.

leathermarshmallow
February 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
Another vote for the PF9. I carry one daily and have close to 1000 rounds through it without a hitch.

gb_in_ga
February 19, 2011, 01:21 AM
I have a PF-9 (bought it NIB about 3 years ago) and I'm happy with it. After initial clean/lube, mine required a 100 round break-in session and after the subsequent detail clean/lube it has been 100% reliable. Light, easy to carry, easy to conceal, reliable. No complaints. It has been my EDC for, well, about 3 years now.

LarryFlew
February 19, 2011, 08:56 AM
+1 for KelTec. P32, SU16 and SUB2000 all work great and customer service is super.

SDF880
February 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
My PF-9. PLR-16, and SU-16 have been flawless. I'm very happy with my Kel-Tec's

SDF880