PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 19 Shoulder Holster

Buffalo Wing
February 18, 2011, 12:19 AM
Hey guys,

I am going to be getting myself a 4" S&W Model 19 pretty soon and have been looking around at shoulder holsters for it, but I'm not really sure what to get. I want something that will work well for carrying while hiking and camping - so I'd be wearing the gun for a long time with it on. I'd ideally like it to have pouches for some speed loaders on the opposite side from the gun. Also, I'm not really a big guy and I think I'd prefer a vertical holster so the gun doesn't go poking through whatever jacket I'm wearing over it.

Here's what I've been looking at so far:

Galco's "VHS Shoulder System"

Bianchi's X15

I've bought stuff from High Noon in the past and really like their work, but they only make a horizontal holster. I'm still not so sure that's what I want. Money isn't really an issue - I'd rather buy a good holster once than several cheap ones.

Thanks for any suggestions!

freedom475
February 18, 2011, 12:54 AM
This is the best system I know of for the outdoors. I sure works well with a backpack... http://www.7xleather.com/chest_holster.

I make holsters for a living and I spend a lot of time in the mountains of MT, So I have made and tried just about every design there is in an attempt to be comfortable carrying my pistol... this chest holster is what I carry my pistols in.

I have Bianchi X15 and can say that it just does not work very well with a backpack's shoulder straps and waist belt, and it is no where near as comfortable as my chest holster.

I carry a 4" N-frame 44mag in mine with a 6 round cartridge slide and forget I have it on... with the 19 K-frame it will be a real compact package. I am kind of biased here since I make it...But if you order one and love it, please write a review...if you hate it, you just send it back:D;)

Buffalo Wing
February 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
That looks like a great idea! I will definitely consider getting one from you.

Here's my one big concern though - how well does it conceal if you put a jacket over it? I'm in Colorado so I can OC if necessary but I'd rather conceal given the opportunity. It seems like it might be a little awkward under a jacket.

Of course, the convenience of it may win me over in the end either way. I just want to get a good look at the options. Thanks!

ClydeFrog
February 19, 2011, 01:28 AM
For a old school model 19 S&W revolver, I'd check www.Deltaforce.com for the Aker comfort style shoulder rigs. The Aker model is very good and comes in brown or black leather. I'm not sure about off side pouches but you may them directly from Aker for the shoulder holster.

Galco rigs are highly rated. DeSantis & Bianchi may have holsters you'd like. For field or outdoor use, I'd lean towards a basic black nylon Bianchi Ranger holster. They sold a X and Y type harness but I think Bianchi(now a part of Safariland) only markets the x shoulder harness in the US.
www.Bianchi-intl.com
The black treated leather STU shoulder rig from Lawman Leathergoods; www.Lawmanleathergoods.com could do well for extented outdoor conditions. They are not cheap but have a lot of + reviews. They market the "Dirty Harry" shoulder holsters.

Clyde
ps: for general carry of K frame DA revolver, I'd look into the Bianchi UM84R models. The flap style milspec holster could protect your 19 4" and be worn different ways. I don't think it fits the Bianchi M12/UM84 shoulder rigs but it works with other system belts/pouches/etc.