PDA

View Full Version : Ejector Problem - IAC Repro of Win1887 Shotgun

Wolf Lies Down
February 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have a Chinese IAC/Norinco reproduction of the Winchester Model 1887 Shotgun. (This is not an original Winchester firearm.)

Is anyone familiar with these reproduction guns?

The ejector on the weapon works every time, however it does not toss the empties out very well. Often they will simply spill over the edge of the open action. I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) and have seen other examples of these same reproduction IAC/Norinco shotguns with the same issue.

I have heard tell that the reason for this problem is that the Chinese cloned the original gun so well that the guns are chambered for the shorter, early day 2 5/8" shells rather than today's 2 3/4" shells and that the ejector does not work well for that reason. I do not know if this is a true statement, but if it is, I do not understand this reasoning or logic as to why a slightly short chamber would be responsible for weak or faulty ejector issues, unless the front of the hull is catching slightly on the chamber mouth....but that doesn't sound right to me. So, those are the questions:
- WHAT, EXACTLY CAUSES THIS WEAK OR POOR EJECTOR PROBLEM on the IAC reproduction Win1887?
- HOW DO I FIX IT?

My first thought was that IF indeed the chamber is cut short, will simply reaming it out to handle the longer shells fix the problem?

I am pretty handy working on my guns and I am capable of doing minor, but complicated work that does not require machining on my guns. So if anyone could describe the fix for this I am greatful.
Regards,
Wolf Lies Down

teeroux
February 16, 2011, 04:27 AM
May be a problem of design not chamber. If the action was designed to eject 2 5/8, 2 3/4 shells may be riding for too long inside the chamber once fired.

In other words what may be happening is when the ejector starts to kick out the shell the tip of it may still be in the chamber.

Wolf Lies Down
February 16, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you TeeRoux,
I had considered the possibility of this "timing" issue of the empty shell not having completely exited the chamber at the moment the ejector "pops" or attempts to throw out the empty shell.

If it is indeed a "timing" problem (and I don't know what else to call a condition like that), then there must be an adjustment to the ejector that can be made to correct it. However, I just do not know what is causing the problem. And, I am unsure as to how to proceed with performing such an adjustment to the ejector, although I will probably give it a blind shot if I cannot deduce another solution and if I do not get a decided answer here or from other sources.

Ideally, someone who has some experience with these reproduction shotguns and this ejection issue in particular, will chime in.
Wolf Lies Down

roklok
February 16, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have NO experience with this gun. However, I was surfing YouTube a while back, and ran across some videos about tuning the IAC 1887. Do a search there, and you should be able to find some useful information.