PDA

View Full Version : PMR-30

Sizmo
February 11, 2011, 07:38 AM
I'm thinking of taking up indoor range shooting with this Kel-Tec model. I'm guessing it's new because I find none available to actually put my hands on. I'm going 22 due to the less expensive ammo and I like the idea of a 30 rd. mag that doesn't require repeated reloading. Possibly the Magnum would enable better possible marksmanship at longer ranges??
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this model and/or this manufacturer.

Sevens
February 11, 2011, 08:26 AM
It's a good idea to choose a .22 cal pistol for less expensive ammo and volume shooting. But then... choosing a .22 Magnum pretty much defeats that purpose.

Find yourself a nice target .22LR pistol and your ammo will cost 1/3 to 1.4 as much and your pistol will likely be more accurate.

This model is so very new to market that there aren't a lot of folks who have hands-on, long time experience with it.

It would be fun as a new pistol to play around with... but if you want indoor paper punching for small groups and target work, this is not likely to be your best choice.

rdmallory
February 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
I am on the waiting list for a PMR-30 also but it would be a lot more expensive to shoot than a 9mm. You can get 9mm for $10 a box now and 22WMR is around $15.

Doug

highcaliberprovider
February 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
As reported to me by one of my suppliers; Kel-tec has been having some issue with the PMR30. thats why they are impossible to put your hands on. I have at least 5 customers on the waiting list for one. apparently they are having problems with the barrels over-heating from 30rds of hot 22wmr being fired too quickly. From what I've been told, not by Kel-tec themselves mind you, they are getting too hot and subsequent rounds are stripping the rifling and causing other issues as well. They are trying to refine this, but haven't done it as of yet.

Speaking of Kel-tec, has anyone seen the new Kel-tec shotgun?

S_Constitutionist
February 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Never have I been so confused by a weapon designers intention. It is obviously intended as a defensive pistol with its 30 round mag and rail.. why and for whom I am not sure? Rimfire ignition is spotty at best and while I dont doubt that it can be used for defense there are much better options.

CDNN always has pretty low prices on them; seems to be enough stock. You may want to give them a call.

A .22lr would probably serve you better. Check out the Beretta NEOS if you want something futuristic/cool looking. The Walther P22 looks like a modern handgun as well as the Sig Mosquito (I've always heard gripes about them).

highcaliberprovider
February 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
Constitutionist,

CDNN Has not had any in the year that I have been a registered dealer with them. Do you know something I dont?

derekb
February 11, 2011, 11:52 AM
It is obviously intended as a defensive pistol with its 30 round mag and rail

Because no one enjoys high capacity magazines at the range?

jheitertusa
February 11, 2011, 02:58 PM
I am on the waiting list for a PMR-30 also but it would be a lot more expensive to shoot than a 9mm. You can get 9mm for $10 a box now and 22WMR is around $15.

Doug

.22mag runs around $8.99 a box for 50 round boxes of Fiocchi or Armscor, and up to around $13.50 for 50 round boxes of the Winchester Supreme hollowpoint stuff. This is at the online sellers like Midway USA and Natchez Shooters Supply. If you are paying $15 a box for .22 mag, I would say that's a rip-off. Still a lot more expensive than .22lr, though.

Bill DeShivs
February 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
The gun was designed for hikers.

Sevens
February 11, 2011, 10:27 PM
Rimfire ignition is spotty at best and while I dont doubt that it can be used for defense there are much better options.
I agree that there are much better options... but the idea of 30 rounds and the recoil of a rimfire do make this an intriguing options for the old or elderly. I think it would be quite a decent setup for my mother, in fact.

But what I wanted to comment on is that yeah... rimfire ignition is spotty in cheap, bulk .22 LR ammo (Remington more than anything, I think) but most .22 WMR is a lot, LOT higher in quality than cheap bulk .22LR and doesn't typically suffer from the same priming woes.

StrongSideArmsInc
February 11, 2011, 10:57 PM
I have had 5 PMRs at my shop, and sold them already. However, the first one I received, I put 250 rds through it and the person that owns it now is a good friend of mine and we have put another 500 rds through it since he bought it. It is a marvel of a pistol and it has a fun factor that reminds me of my 5.7 USG. The 22 mag is a very potent round and is very underated in a defense pistol. The round its self is not as deadly as the fact that the gun is easy to keep on target and the trigger is next to nothing. I can shoot 3 rounds out of the gun in less than second on the shot timer. All that, plus keeping the rounds inside a Skoal can at 10 yards. The second pistol I received had trigger issues after about 50 rounds. It was returned to Kel-tec and fixed in less than a week. Other than that, all five have produced great smiles and I am following up with every customer to make sure they are not having any issues. Kel-tec does not recommend overseas made ammo for the PMR, and a disclaimer comes with gun stating that. We have had stoppages with overseas ammo, but have never had any issues with the american made stuff.

bamaranger
February 12, 2011, 04:29 AM
I believe Kel-Tec is trying to capitalize on the intrigue of the 5.7FN. An affordable, ultra hi cap, small caliber zinger. New, novel, but not cheap to feed.
I saw the initial ads and thought, "neat" but not ready to make room in the safe for one.

A Ruger MkIII std model, or similar would be the ideal starter, affordable range pistol. The .22 Mag may offer higher energy and velocity at longer ranges, but not inherent accuracy increase. The .22 lr ctg itself is pretty well noted as being very accurate in certain loadings and pistols.

FamilyTruckster
February 12, 2011, 12:54 PM
I've been number 4 on the list at my LGS for about a month now. Hope to be able comment on it one day.....

Bill DeShivs
February 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
George Kelgren's idea of a 30 shot .22 mag pistol far predates the FN 5.7!

chris in va
February 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
.22mag runs around $8.99 a box for 50 round boxes of Fiocchi or Armscor, and up to around $13.50 for 50 round boxes of the Winchester Supreme hollowpoint stuff. This is at the online sellers like Midway USA and Natchez Shooters Supply.

Plus shipping.

ripnbst
February 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
Whoever said FN 5.7's are cheap is wrong wrong wrong. The Five-Seven is a gun I'd like to have.

jheitertusa
February 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
Plus shipping.

It's about the same price locally here, depending upon where you go. Plus tax. Buy in bulk online and the price is about the same. $15 for 22mag is still rip off pricing.

Natchez Shooters Supply:
10 50 round boxes of Winchester Dynapoint .22mag at $8.33 each plus $13.41 shipping=$96.71

If the local price was $10 a box it would be $107 with tax, it would still be cheaper to order it.

varoadking
February 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
I like mine just fine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/PMR-30001.jpg

nefprotector
February 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
Lucky SOBs.

bikerbill
February 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
What are people paying for them? (the gun, not the ammunition) I love the 22mag round and this looks like it would be a great range gun and something my wife might enjoy shooting ... as for reliability, I have never had a FTF with a .22mag, while it's a common issue with .22lr ... and I see Hornady is coming out with a .22mag in their Critical Defense line; it will be in my NAA Pug as soon as I can test its accuracy ... an excellent round for a variety of uses ...

threegun
February 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
Like Biker Bill I have NEVER had a FTF "dud" with 22mag ammunition.

Bill DeShivs
February 13, 2011, 07:43 PM
I paid $350.

JohnFLand
February 14, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm going 22 due to the less expensive ammo and I like the idea of a 30 rd. mag that doesn't require repeated reloading. Possibly the Magnum would enable better possible marksmanship at longer ranges??

The Magnum won't really help your marksmanship at longer ranges with a pistol -- the limiting factor is going to be you, in most cases.

Get a Ruger Mark III and an Auto .22 Ultimate Cliploader (see one here - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS127-1.html). You save a huge amount of money shooting .22LR instead of .22WMR, and you can load 3 Mark III mags SIGNIFICANTLY faster with the Ultimate Cliploader than you can load the PMR mag.