PDA

View Full Version : question about .31 cal Pocket Remington

BConklin
February 10, 2011, 09:30 PM
Is there any way to ease up the tension of the main spring on these things? That's a pretty strong spring for such a little gun. It's for my wife and she has trouble cocking the hammer back with one thumb.

Doc Hoy
February 11, 2011, 03:43 AM
Only way I know of is to carefully take metal off of the spring. I have not taken mine apart yet so I don't know if the spring is wider (thicker) at the base (where it fits into the slot in the gripframe). I would start there rather than along the length of the spring.

I did a modification on a brass frame some time ago. It started out with an overly weak spring. I installed a screw in the grip frame like the 1858s which permitted me to adjust the spring tension.

I would try it with a second spring just in case something goes wrong.

Hawg
February 11, 2011, 06:37 AM
Take metal off the sides not from the flat part. Take it from the middle instead of at ends.

BConklin
February 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys -

That's what I was thinking - taking some metal off the spring.

The only other thing I can think of is altering the angle of the notch in the grip.

Doc Hoy
February 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
...I leave the frame alone.

BConklin
February 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
mind you - I didn't mean to imply that was the preferrable course of action ;)

Rifleman1776
February 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Never a good idea to mess with springs.
But Doc and HH have given the best initial advice.
I would also suggest you check with a gunsmith supply (Brownell's, etc.) for other springs that might work. And check with somebody like DGW for replacement springs on the chance theirs would come from a different company and not be as stiff.

Doc Hoy
February 11, 2011, 04:45 PM
Thinking it over, the relief of the slot might be a good idea but I would also want to do that thing with installation of a screw in the front of the frame. That made removal of the spring real easy. Back off the screw and the spring falls out.

Need a drill press, and the right size tap.

BConklin
February 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
Filing the spring down worked well. I think there was WAY too much spring there for that particular gun. It was difficult enough to cycle even for me - and dang near impossible for my wife to do it safely.

jimbob86
February 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
It's for my wife and she has trouble cocking the hammer back with one thumb.

Training remedy: Thumb Wrestling?