PDA

View Full Version : Buying ammo for my 357sig

jproaster
February 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
So I've never bought ammo for any gun more powerful than 9mm; and only bought what Walmart carried. In our rural area the only gun store charges too much for the stuff.

Now I've purchased another gun - glock 31 with two barrels (sig and match 40). So before my friend gets his reloading system put together and I get 357 sig dies, I need to get some ammo. Since I don't know much about bullets, +P, etc yet, I thought I'd ask for advice on ammo and where to get it.

To be clear- I want to buy 50-100 rounds somewhere. Reloading will come later.

Thanks for any help.

john

SadistAssassin
February 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
you should go to the handloading forum section of this site under firingline forums

BigPoppa
February 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Walmart and your local gun shops are going to offer a limited variety of loads especially for personal protection. You can get a wide variety of personal protection ammo from the following online sites: www.ammunitiontogo.com or www.sgammo.com.

ClydeFrog
February 10, 2011, 02:55 AM
Please post what use or uses you plan to have the .357sig rounds for.

If you want general range or target use you can buy any of the common factory rounds.
For protection, carry or duty uses, I'd get a factory fresh box or 2 of Corbon's 115gr JHP, the DPX round, the 115/125gr JHP .357sig from www.Doubletapammo.com or some Winchester Ranger T JHPs.

See www.SGammo.com www.Natchezss.com www.cabelas.com .

jproaster
February 10, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I bought the only two boxes of .40 and 357 sig from walmart last night.

My friend's getting his reloading setup over the next week; start on that soon.

And since I'm pretty new to more powerful rounds, I'll be learning about the uses as I go along.

Thanks again,

john

AK103K
February 10, 2011, 09:04 AM
If you have the money available, I'd buy a case of each. You save a good bit of money right off, and youll have a good start on brass.

I know prices have gone up a good bit from what they were, but its still probably the cheapest way to go in the long run, and cost per box is about half that of what it is buying "by the box". I used to buy Speer Lawman as it was basically "training" ammo, and basically the same load as their Gold Dots.

I always had good luck with Ammoman, and while his prices may seem a little high at first blush, they include shipping. The others often dont, to suck you in, and then hit you with it at the last page. Ammoman also doesnt jerk you around with back orders, if its listed, he has it.

Another alternative, since youre going to reload, is buy once fired brass. Its plentiful and fairly cheap.

When you buy your dies for the 357SIG, also buy a carbide .40S&W sizer die, if you dont already have one available. It saves you the mess from having to lube the cases. Just size the 357SIG cases in it first, then run them through the 357SIG sizer.

You want a powder/load that fills the case up into the neck. AA #9 is a good one, and the load approximates factory. Its a compressed load, and wont allow the bullet to set back. It negates the possibility of the so called "neck tension" thing, which I think is a bunch of BS anyway, but it gets passed around a lot.

Watch your bullets. You can get away with some of the 9mm bullets, but some shapes work better than others. 357SIG specific 125 grain bullets tend to be a little pricer, but are really what you want and easier to work with.

jproaster
February 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks AK. I'll share this info with my friend; hopefully getting started next week.

john

benzuncle
February 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
I initially bought 500 rounds of Canned Heat from Georgia-Arms to shoot and to "build" my spent casing pile so that when I began reloading I'd have something to work with. Their stuff is rated at 1300fps. Very good stuff. As AK103K said the carbide 40S&W die eliminates the need for lube. And his advice about AA#9 is right on the money. I use 13gr behind 124/125gr.
Montana Gold bullets makes 357SIG bullets that are priced right. I also use Hornady 9mm 124gr FMJ's, buying them in bulk from Midway.
Be sure to jump over to the reloading portion of the forum and glean from those that have gone before you with reloading 357SIG. Good luck and happy shooting. The 357SIG is an awesome round.

Brian Pfleuger
February 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Georgia Arms is good ammo. I bought their "Canned Heat" in 357sig and it does makes very close to the 1,300 fps mark.... in my 3.46 inch G33. It's warm for sure. Good ammo, reasonable price, reasonable accuracy.

My G33 is for sale BTW, if anyone is interested.;) (I'm going to a 10mm)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439987

ClydeFrog
February 10, 2011, 09:46 PM
I, for 1, would strongly advise AGAINST using any reloaded .357sig or handloaded pistol rounds for protection or carry.

It's a hot topic on many gun/tactics forums but many legal & LE experts advise against the practice.

Many reloaders or "DIYers"(do it yourself) say $$$ or practical issues make reloads okay but a box or 2 of factory made, high quality ammunition could save you a lot of legal hassles or hang-ups later on.

BTW: I'd thought GA Arms went under but I guess they are still open. I'd still opt for CorBon or Ranger T.