PDA

View Full Version : Saber Defence Guns

Wrath of Firepower
February 9, 2011, 04:24 AM
Just read in newspaper that ATF raided the manufacturing plant of Sabre Defence today for conspiracy to smuggle guns to foreign countries. Saber Defence is located in Nashville, TN. I wonder how this will affect sales in gun shops and warranties?
The raid occurred Feb. 2010 but indictments were just handed down for five company officials. My bad.

10mmAuto
February 9, 2011, 06:55 AM
At the time of the raid supposedly the company leadership was working with the ATF to find one, emphasis singular, employee who was doing this.

Now it does look like they just threw him under the bus to keep from getting caught.

Lordofbarbeque
February 9, 2011, 07:21 AM
I had met them at Shot Show and was really looking hard in acquiring one of their rifles, but the printed information isn't looking good for them. ( However, I am assuming newspapers are getting it right which is HUGE assumption ).
If the Tennessee paper has it right this is a huge legal and financial mess for Sabre Defence.
In trying to be fair in this situation the individual should read the information themselves and make their own decision before purchasing.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
Sabre Defence is defunct now. That is how it will effect their business - one of their creditors has seized all their assets and is selling them off. The good news is it is effectively a running business making a profit with contracts and everything else already in place, so it shouldn't have to much trouble finding a buyer.

I think there is a $100,000 deposit to bid if anyone is looking to buy a gun business :)

tirod
February 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/02/09/sabre-defence-owner-guy-savage-arrested/

I'm not sure where he was arrested.

Sabre USA is up to be purchased, and will continue to produce during the transistion. http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/129681235669yzs4rx03h

I don't see much to worry about the retail sales side of the business, a lot less controversial than Uncle Sam owning General Motors.

As for the "trafficking in illegal arms" stuff, the BATF has been chasing a local cigarette pack tax stamper because of sales to Indian smoke shops. Much ado about nothing, the charges were dropped. He's still got his 12,000 foot house and Ford Mk4.

"They" are tossing around some broad charges, specifics like what exactly happened aren't out yet. Unless there's a confession of smuggling arms to Somalis or something silly, I imagine it's going to be about paperwork and not putting a check mark in the right box.

Tax law kind of thing - import/export to a papered end user, something like that.

10mmAuto
February 9, 2011, 12:38 PM
They are accused of intentionally mislabeling boxes to avoid import/export restrictions as a practice. Not something that becomes practice as an accident.