PDA

View Full Version : Marschal Grips for CZ SP-01 Shadow

DarkRayz
February 5, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Gents,
Recently took delivery of two pair of Marschal grips for my CZ SP-01 Shadow. I needed light grips to bring the pistol's weight down for IDPA competition. Heard good things about the grips.

Just got them yesterday, after about 2 months (1 month due to US Customs delay!). They are mighty pretty, but darn thing is, they don't quite fit. The wood grip has a flange undersurface that (I'm pretty sure) is supposed to press up against the front edge of the pistol's metal frame. That's how all the other grips fit this pistol, including the slick (but HEAVY) aluminum grips from CZ Custom.

There is just one screw to hold these grips to CZs, and on the Marschal grips, that hole lines up a fair amount farther back, so that when the screw fits, these two edges (the grip's flange and the frame's edge) don't match. Result it not surprising: no matter that I've tried loctite on the screw, and some no skid material between the frame and grip, it wiggles (pivots back and forth) ever so slightly during firing. It's the same on both sets of grips. Suspect the CNC wasn't quite set perfect for the milling. I've contacted the vendor by email, awaiting a reply and hopefully a solution to this.

Anyone with other recommendations on fixing this? I'm okay with keeping the grips if I can create a durable and functional fix for this. Hungary is a long way off and I'd like to start practicing with the grips I'll be using!

Any other comparably light grips for this gun that folks have used for IDPA?

Thanks

DR
Arizona

DarkRayz
February 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
Well, in lightening fast fashion, the vendor has emailed me after doing some very meticulous research. Turns out, unbeknownst to him or me, the SP-01 Shadow and Tactical have a few variant differences to the grip frame that likely explain this ill-fit of these grips. He offered me an immediate refund and/or the opportunity to help him derive the info needed to create proper fitting grips for the Shadow. I will help him do this.
In the meantime, I think I'll need to change guns for IDPA since I can't get my Shadow Custom Target under 39.9 oz....

DR

Distortion
February 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
According to the chart at the top of the grips (http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-85-TS-Grips-Aluminum-Plastic-Rubber.aspx) page at the CZ Custom Shop, the plastic factory grips are the lightest, followed by the Coco Bolo wood grips. I actually own 5 full sized CZ 9mm handguns, but none of them came with the factory plastic grips. I do own a couple pair of the full sized Coco Bolo grips (the half checker and full checker grips). They are excellent.