PDA

View Full Version : First Gun...Help!

Tyrrell109
February 3, 2011, 09:27 PM
With tax returns comming up, i plan on getting my first piece of protection.
After i pick which i'll be getting, im going to get my concealed so i can carry.
Im down to 3 different guns(all compact) im leaning tward the .40 cal, but wont decide till i shoot all 3 guns.
What do you guys think of these:
H&K-USP45
H&K-USP40
H&K-P2000 .40cal

Anyone who is fimiliar with these, any input is appreciated

Stephen Tyrrell

pilpens
February 3, 2011, 10:11 PM
I have a USP 9mm and had an HK P2000 9mm LEM.
All three are good pistols. For most, the USP is too big for CC. CC consideration would force me to pick the P2000.

JCP281
February 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thats quite a first gun! H&Ks are pretty big though, even their compact guns.

greghalliday
February 3, 2011, 11:13 PM
H&K as a first gun? Can't say that I disagree with them as a choice as they are really nice, but they're mostly all pretty big too. The USPs are thick as a brick (which isn't necessarily a bad thing); you may have difficulty concealing one well. The P2000 would probably conceal okay, but there are soooooo many choices in that size and caliber of pistol, the H&K wouldn't be the first on my list, but to each his own. And happy shooting.

Micahweeks
February 3, 2011, 11:55 PM
I have to agree with the previous sentiments. The HK makes for a GREAT duty weapon. But CC? It might be a bit too bulky. I can do it, but I have to dress around it. With a 3/4 length jacket and good IWB holster, it is easy. Of the ones you mentioned, is say the USP 40c.

microtech
February 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
i personally don't see anything wrong with going for the best. My first gun was an HK USPc 9mm and i love it. Never a single problem. I, like you, went into the gun store wanting to buy the full size USP 9mm. But once i got to holding it, i realized the gun was just too big for me. So, i decided to get the USP compact instead. The compact is much more comfortable to grip, and would be a lot easier to conceal. The p2000 wasn't available when i got my gun. So, to you, if you plan on carrying your gun, consider going with the p2000 or USP Compact. If you are just going to go to the range and have it for home defense, get the USP full size if it fits you. All the HK's are equally great guns.

LDSGJA
February 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
How much do they run for in actual prices? I see the MSRP for the USPs is about $900 - sure looks great though.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usp_general.asp

orionengnr
February 4, 2011, 12:42 AM
Since you are in FL, a lot of what I have to say may resonate, as I live in TX.

A lot of us who have carried for a number of years, and have tried a lot of different options, have come to conclude that any double stack is too fat to comfortably carry and conceal. I have owned a number of them and currently own none.

Some others may disagree...and that is their right.

But of all the people I know with a CHL, nobody carries a double stack. One keeps one in his truck.

I carry a .45 year round.
In our short winter, it is an S&W M25 in .45 LC.
The rest of the year it is a Kahr P45 or a Commander-sized 1911, either steel or alloy-framed.

Tyrrell109
February 4, 2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys.
Since you guys are definately more experienced in this field give me your opinions on a good .40, .45 for carrying.
Im going for the shoulder holster, and i dress in baggy clothes(what can i say im an 80's baby). I really want somthing reliable.
Thanks again guys/gals.
Stephen Tyrrell

CWKahrFan
February 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm aligning with the general direction of the comments so far... appreciating a light single-stack for CCW more as the years go by. Since you're specifying .40 or .45, I suggest the Walther PPS in .40 or any of the polymer Kahrs in .40 or .45. The Kahr CW series is one of the very best values in handguns... the more expensive Kahrs are excellent too. I like the "idea" of carrying larger calibers, and have them, but must admit I carry a 9 or even a .380 most days... Definitely appreciate thin light polymers in my old age!

reticle
February 4, 2011, 07:31 PM
Buy the HK. I have several. Of all the guns I've owned, Hks have never had even one glitch. I carry a USPc .45 the difference in width between a single stack and a staggered stack USP mag is around 1/4 inch. Not enough to be concerned IMO. If you have access, shoot one. You'll love it.

Microgunner
February 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
I owned a HK USP 40 and although the pistol was absolutly reliable and very accurate I found the DA trigger reach a bit too long for my medium sized hands. Single action reach was just fine so I carried it condition 1 only. Not a problem but something to consider.