PDA

View Full Version : 35 remington for hogs

shooter43
February 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone. Im about to go to my uncles hunting camp and we'll be hog huntin. correct me if i am wrong but i think deer season ended here in florida so hogs are really the only thing. Wondering if a 200 grain hornady is enough to drop a big boar?

JerryM
February 3, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yes.
Jerry

Buzzard Bait
February 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
absolutely but a hogs vitals are not in the same place as a deer look at www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html there are several other sights that show the placement of the vitals. I had a hard time when I first went hog hunting because I shot them like they were deer. It really makes them mad if you shoot them like they are deer. Look at the diagrams and pictures of where their vitals are once you know where to shoot them they are not all that hard to kill.
bb

phishisgroovin
February 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
i am just itching to take something with mine, havent even shot it yet lol! have had it nearly a year.:D

Saltydog235
February 3, 2011, 04:41 PM
Absolutely. I've shot a couple with mine and its been DRT. Hogs aren't particularly hard to kill if you hit them right but it is about shot placement like mentioned above. Learn the anatomy and the round will do its job. Of course our prefered shot is in the ear from a tree stand.

mete
February 3, 2011, 05:04 PM
If you want more penetration try Buffalo Bore 220 gr .

EVERLAST
February 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
What's the reason I got my Desert Eagle in .44 mag?

Hogs are mean.

Hog Buster
February 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
With a good shot it’ll drop a big hog with power to spare.

markj
February 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
Saw a girl on TV do a 400 lb wild hog using a dog and a long knife :) we used to use pit bulls back in the 70s.

Abel
February 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
Here is a video of a guy killing four hogs with two shots from a 35 Rem:

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/TARJARBAR/?action=view&current=Doubles.mp4

I originally found this video here:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31944

bamaranger
February 4, 2011, 12:57 AM
The .35 rem is on my "favorite grand old ctg" list and was a family favorite back in the day, in Rem 14 and 141 pumps so chambered. Strange, I do not have one, but would love to have one of my Grandad's or great uncles pumps for sure.

Anyhow, the .35 will be a great, maybe ideal hog rifle, especially at "hog" range, usually pretty short.

What rifle are we talking about??

waterboy68
February 4, 2011, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the normal loadings for the .35rem on a hog.

paknheat
February 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yep. It will get the job done.;)

GeauxTide
February 4, 2011, 09:20 PM
Smackdaddy.

Jim243
February 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
Cooked pork chops on the bone.

Fat White Boy
February 4, 2011, 10:03 PM
I use a 130gr .270...

shooter43
February 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
hey thanks 4 all your info! that hog video was awesome! Ive heard of that buffalo bore 220 grain but im not sure where to buy it. i dont think basspro carries it and the lakeland walmart doesnt. Id like a box of it though.

Abel
February 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
Ive heard of that buffalo bore 220 grain but im not sure where to buy it. i dont think basspro carries it and the lakeland walmart doesnt. Id like a box of it though.

Regular old Winchester Power Point works fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, Buffalo Bore is like $60 a box.

Tbag
February 10, 2011, 08:01 PM
So where are you huntin the bacon? And if you want to save a bit of meat go for behind the ear. DRT

hornetguy
February 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
depends on what you consider "big"... but I imagine the 35 rem should be enough for just about any hog.... IF the range is ok, and IF you put the bullet where you are supposed to. I've taken two smallish (140lb or so) pigs with my SKS, which is considerably less powerful than your 35. Both were under 50yds.
I agree that you should carefully look at an anatomy drawing of hogs, as the heart/lung area is much lower in the chest than you would think.
I might be a little leery of using a thinner jacketed "deer" type bullet, as hogs are very densely muscled, but if you manage to get it behind a shoulder, angling forward, it should do the job.

ThomasT
February 11, 2011, 04:47 PM
No your SKS is not "considerably less power" than a 35 remington. If you check you will see that the 7.63x39, 30-30 and 35 rem are all in the same ballpark energy wise. If you think you need more penetration then use 154gr soft point bullets. I have seen pictures of a couple of hogs shot with 123gr hollow points from an SKS and the wound cavity was huge.

The video of the double kills was cool. I had a buddy that did the same thing with a ruger in 6mm remington. The difference was that he killed THREE pigs with one shot. He said each pig behind the first was just a little smaller and he didn't know there was more than one pig. At the shot all three ran just a little ways and fell over dead. Surprised the crap out of him. He was using the rem green box express ammo with a 100gr bullet.

I wish I could find a 35 remington. A friend has an unfired remington 760 he bought for a hundred bucks. He won't sell it for $300. Or even more. He knows I want it and just does this to aggrevate me. I like it because it has standard rifling instead of the microgroove rifling.

Since I have found that I can get a little over 2000fps from a 200gr 44 mag from my Marlin 1894 that has kinda cooled my desire for a 35 remington rifle.

603Country
February 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
I used a 35 Remington for many years, and it never ever let me down. I used Remington CoreLokt 200 grain bullets and I was good to 150 yards. Beyond that, unless you shoot it all the time, it's hard to judge the bullet drop. The rifle was a Marlin 336. I sold it many years ago, and I wish that I hadn't done that. I use a 270 now, but except for the longer range the 270 has, I can't see any significant difference in how well it kills deer and hogs. You'll be fine with that cartridge.