PDA

View Full Version : PX4 or P250

Noreaster
February 2, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hope I made the right choice, I'd like to hear your opinions. I had two great deals. I won a Sig gift certificate at a competition, I love Sigs. I also went to a Beretta Armorers course and had a discount purchase option through Beretta, big savings! I really liked the PX4 and the P250 was the only Sig I could afford (already have a P229.) I heard some internet rumblings about the P250 gun and was concerned. Stopped by the Sig Store in Epping and all the P250's were out for refurb. None for sale. They wouldn't tell me what was being done to them. This was last month, the gun has been out for several years. Didn't like the sound of it so I left and ordered the PX4 C. Can't wait for it to come in. I'll let everyone know how it shoots. See if the rotary barrel holds up!

triplebike
February 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
Don't worry about the rotary barrel, it will hold up just fine. It has a long & proven track record with the Cougar series of the 90's & the Stoeger series in current production. I have/had two Cougar's and they have been flawless. Enjoy your new handgun, from what I read about the Sig 250 you definitely made the right choice.

LockedBreech
February 2, 2011, 06:46 PM
My PX4 is comfortable, very durable, and very reliable. I have about 1,400 through it and it looks basically new, with no problems so far. Enjoy!

proxpilot
February 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
i would have got the SIG SP2022 for $360

Marlin009
February 2, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have 2000+ rounds through my Px4, not the first hickup. Love it! You won't be disappointed.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/marlin009/px4.jpg

:D

BGutzman
February 2, 2011, 07:22 PM
Dont get the Sig, its too highly refined and reliable and they lead to Sig disease that results in more Sig purchases. The CX4 is a quality gun, no doubt but not really IMHO in the same class.

JCP281
February 2, 2011, 07:28 PM
The barretta looks like it would be VERY comfortable. It looks sort of goofy, but im all about comfort while shooting.

LockedBreech
February 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
BGutzman, I have shot the P226 and PX4 (which I assume you meant, CX is a carbine)side by side. In my perception, the PX4 shot more softly, and build quality seemed equal.

Only uneven thing was price!

Of course, that doesn't make me want a stainless P229 any less. But if we are talking SP2022 here, the PX4 is certainly on par. Better than the 250

Noreaster
February 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replys. Feeling better about the PX4. I really like the way the gun feels in my hand. Hey BGutzman I know what your saying. I'm a Sig guy. Currently carry the P229 in 357. Just not sure about the P250. I was at Sig and they didn't have any for sale, they were all at the factory being upgraded/fixed. Didn't see any recall for the guys who already own one. Sig has a history of not admitting when they are wrong, (example is MA State Police 226 DAK not working. Sig blamed everyone including disgruntled troopers, turns out there was a defect that they quietly fixed.) Can't wait for the PX4 to arrive. I bought it in 9mm. My oldest is getting tired of the Ruger Mark II. I'll get him shooting the PX4 this summer.

ghost556
February 2, 2011, 09:51 PM
the PX4 is a much better gun

BGutzman
February 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
Get what you want, who am I to judge, you asked for an opinion I gave one. I admit both pistols are good but as far as equal build I disagree.

Just remember in the end I warned you about Sig Disease.

As yes I am preferential on this one.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l513/bgutzman/Guns/SIGP220CarryInternet.jpg

Micahweeks
February 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
The 250 is a fine weapon, no doubt. I've shot two variations of it and find to be exemplary. However, I would still get the Beretta. It isn't better or worse to me, but I'm concerned that the plethora of slide/frame combinations on the 250 is going to result in holster manufactures not wanting to craft holsters for the gun. Would you? Full size 9mm/.40, compact, sub compact, then the varying barrel lengths of each, and that still doesn't include the .45. It's daunting. As good as the gun is, I just don't foresee much support.

BGutzman
February 2, 2011, 10:24 PM
There are open ended holsters able to pretty much whatever slide barrel length combination you could ever buy.

Galco and others make em right now today.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp

But whatever you get enjoy! :)

Micahweeks
February 2, 2011, 10:31 PM
Galco, as I understand it, does not make holster for the larger frame sizes, namely the .45s, or the sub compact models. If I'm not mistaken, their holster only fit the full and compact 9/40. A shame, really. It really is a first class firearm. But, then again, what Sig isn't?

AustinTX
February 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
You made the correct choice, without question. Totally unimpressed with the P250. The PX4 is an outstanding pistol, and it's easily superior to the P250 (though that isn't saying that much).

Noreaster
February 3, 2011, 03:29 AM
BGutzman that is a nice looking setup. Did you buy it like that or build it, frame and slide seperate.

group17
February 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
Both Beretta and Sig make great guns. The biggest difference is the Beretta is DA/SA while the Sig has a DAO trigger. Nothing at all wrong with the rotating barrel works great on my Cougar and PX4.
I would take a DA/SA pistol every time. If you wanted a plastic Sig look into the Sig pro 2022 in DA/SA not the 250 IMO.

Rugerismisticness
February 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
I would have gotten the sig, but the Beretta sure shoots nice and is very purty. Beretta itself only expects these px4s to last 30,000rnds (barrels were expected for 15-17,000rnds, frame was 100,000-120,000rnds), not even half a lifetime for some of us. The "new and improved" M92 locking block is only projected to last 30,000-35,000rnds, but the sales rep was enthusiastic about telling me this:mad: I really like the Px4, but I don't like the "positive" news Beretta told me.

ClydeFrog
February 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
If you ordered a NIB Beretta PX4 C model then you made the right choice.
I had a great deal on a new PX4 C 9x19mm in 2009. I had to sell the PX4 but it worked well and I would buy that brand(or maybe the C format of the new ambi-type PX4 series, ;) ).

The SIG Sauer P250 line has had a few problems and/or complaints from what I've seen. The modular format is a good concept but I think the pistols need better quality control or engineering.

Polymer frame semi auto pistols are more common and SIG will be passed over by other designs by Springfield Armory, Glock, HK, Beretta, S&W.

Noreaster
February 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
I took the PX4/92 armorers course and they recommended replacing some parts at 5,000-10,000 rounds ($11.00 in parts.) My Sig P229 was sent back to the factory for refurb about six years ago, it cost $60.00 to have Sig do it. One of the biggest problems the US military is facing right now is there rifles and pistols have two many rounds through them without the needed replacement parts, (the M9s are taking a beating.) One of the thoughts on the new carbine trials was a built in round counter so the needed maintenance could be done. 30,000 rounds doesn't sound to bad!

LockedBreech
February 3, 2011, 06:16 PM
Noreaster, what parts of the PX4 do they recommend replacing? Recoil spring?

Noreaster
February 3, 2011, 07:07 PM
The recoil spring was one of them. They had us compare it to other springs. My P229 had the refurb done at Sig and it's like new, whereas allot of other P229s on my job are going down with problems. The armorer has replaced several recoil springs this last year. Sixty bucks was short money for the job.

Ridge_Runner_5
February 3, 2011, 08:35 PM
The PX4c seems like it would make a great rock if you ran out of ammo...

iMagUdspEllr
February 3, 2011, 09:38 PM
I think the trigger on the PX4 is pretty decent in both single and double-action. However I don't like the safety it is difficult to flip off and easy to put on (the opposite of what it should be). I also don't like it because you can't carry it cocked and locked. The safety automatically decocks it when you put the safety on. So pretty much no matter what you are stuck with a double-action first pull.

The P250 is great because you can customize its size and caliber (for $250 every time you want a different size/caliber). Every shot is double-action on the P250 which is great because that means it is capable of a second strike if you believe in that school of thought. But the double-action is a tad too heavy for me. I'm not saying it is heavy for double-actions (it is light for a double-action) but 6.5 lbs is too heavy for me to feel comfortable placing accurate fire under stress. It also lacks a safety completely (the argument being that the heavier double-action trigger is the safety).

I really don't like either of them because those ergonomic features are quick kills for me. On the one hand you can't manipulate the safety well (PX4) on the other hand you will have a harder time hitting what you are aiming at (P250). But that is just because I prefer triggers in the 4 lb range.

If I had to choose one I would pick the SIG simply because I wouldn't have to worry about the safety and I could easily learn to adapt to its slightly "heavy" trigger.

Noreaster
February 3, 2011, 09:49 PM
I bought the PX4 C configuration, constant trigger no safety. Light DOA similar to a glock.

DougU
July 1, 2011, 09:34 PM
The P250 is an interesting concept. But why spend within $200 of 2 guns for the modularity and still have one functional firearm? also, it seems that some think that all Sigs are created equal, they are not; the 556 proves that. I would be suspicious of anything from Sig USA these days (although I am in lust with the 516). I also do not know why people harp on different control placement? That is a training issue, nothing more. Anyone who has served in the U.S. military in the last 25+ years should be familiar with the controls of any F type beretta. As for the C type, tell me how that is different from any other version of the safe, DAO, DAK, or constant action triggers in actual use besides they all have different weigths and reset points??

Misssissippi Dave
July 1, 2011, 10:26 PM
You probably did just fine with the Beretta. They work just fine.

I have a P250 made in Dec 2010 that works well. I will be picking up a compact tomorrow and have a couple of .45 kits coming in later in the week. The DAO trigger does take some getting use to. The trigger pull seems rather long at first. Once I got use to the trigger (a couple of magazines), I was able to place the rounds on target just as well as I could with my P226. This was a full size version. I hope to be able to report how it goes with the compact and the compact and full size .45 kits in the near future.

If I want to put a lot of lead down range in a short period of time I use the P226. With the P250 I take a little longer for each shot so I use less ammo per hour. I will say my ability to shoot double action on other DA/SA pistols has improved quite a bit since I got the P250. The P250 take down lever was a bit hard to operate at first but now it works fine.

I hope you will give a range report on your new pistol once you get a chance to try it out.

Logs
July 2, 2011, 06:17 AM
Many of the issues with the Sig 250 you hear about are from folks who have never shot one. :rolleyes:

My dad and I both picked up a sig 250 with night sites for $400. They were demo guns. I love mine, but my dad didn't like the trigger. We both bought the mid size model and I am looking at picking up the smaller frame also. I feel the trigger is smooth and the gun is accurate for me. Some folks like the Smith Sigma, I hated it. So when getting a new pistol try it for yourself and take the internet hype with a grain of salt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/moreammoplz/DSC03863.jpg