View Full Version : S & W serial

tomlav
February 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have a Police Regulation, 5 shot revolver patented oct 8 01
serial 10834.

Can anyone tell me anything from this?

Winchester_73
February 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
Well for one, its known as a "Regulation Police". Caliber is 38 S&W, I think/based on what you told me (5 shot). I'd have to check a reference for production year but its certainly pre WWII. It was on S&Ws I frame which was later discontinued in favor of the J frame for 38 special (the 38 special was too long for the I frame). The gun eventually became the model 33, much later, after 1957.

Not much of a demand compared to some S&Ws but if original nickel, odd barrel length or in fantastic shape, it wouldn't be worth $100 either. Probably worth $150 to $400 depending on condition and features.

Should have wood grips without medallions, IIRC.

Thats about all I can say without my book. I hope that helps.

Winchester_73
February 2, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the the grips over up the butt, where the SN is. The SN is also on the rear of the cylinder and underneath the barrel when its opened.

The number inside the crane is NOT the SN, just so you know. I wanted to verify that you got the SN from the right place.

carguychris
February 2, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure the the grips over up the butt, where the SN is. The SN is also on the rear of the cylinder and underneath the barrel when its opened.
The serial number on a .38 Regulation Police is on the frontstrap under the trigger guard because the stocks normally cover up the butt. It's one of the exceptions to the rule. :)

If that number is indeed the serial number, the gun was probably made around 1920.

Winchester_73
February 2, 2011, 09:28 AM
The serial number on a .38 Regulation Police is on the frontstrap under the trigger guard because the stocks normally cover up the butt. It's one of the exceptions to the rule.

Ah yes. I forgot that detail. Thanks.

tomlav
February 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
The serial on the barrel is B 10934

Thanks to all

Winchester_73
February 2, 2011, 02:08 PM
The serial on the barrel is B 10934

Thanks to all

The B prefix on the barrel indicates blue finish, while no B or letter at all indicates nickel. The B is not part of the actual SN.