PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot a semi for sport / pump for defense?

70extreme
February 1, 2011, 06:58 PM
I am curious if any of you shoot multiple type of shotgun actions for different purposes?

I have 18" and 28" 870s. The short barrels are for home defense. I have hunted and shot clays with the 28" barreled 870s. But, for skeet and hunting, I was thinking of going to a semiauto. I just shoot them better at flying objects.

Do you mix up your action types or just stick to one platform for everything?

zippy13
February 1, 2011, 07:09 PM
I prefer O/Us for clays and wing shooting. I use an auto-loader as a rainy day gun, but don't own a pump. For HD, I have several .45 handguns.

Deerhunter
February 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just got a Browning Maxus this year for hunting. I use that for birds and at the skeet field. I use my Remington 870 Express mag for deer (rifled barrel) and I use a Sig 229 in 40 for HD

jmr40
February 1, 2011, 07:54 PM
I use both pumps and autos for hunting, but the last few years the pumps have seen less and less use.

For SD the pump is more reliable in theory, but in practice I've found the semi is more reliable. If I had to pick one I'd say I would rather use the semi for most SD situations as well.

If I had to pick only 1 shotgun to last the rest of my life with no chance of spare parts, it would be an 870. With good repair and quality ammo the semi would be a better choice. But if you throw in neglect, and crappy ammo, the pump is more likely to keep working.

poortrader
February 1, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have a Winchester SX3 for gaming, but I keep a Mossberg 590 for HD.

mwar410
February 1, 2011, 08:10 PM
when I shot in competitions it would be o/u's, Sporting clays is usually a semi, For duck hunting a semi, upland birds usually is a 28 ga. 870 or it's little brother. So yes different actions for different reasons.

Oh, yeah. HD was an o/u (always go bang) but now is a pump.

TheKlawMan
February 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Good question. Right now all I have is an 870 with and 18" barrel and have been thinking of getting the 28" for sport, but am now wondering if I shouldn't keep it as is for HD and get an auto loader for sport. One reason for the semi being to reduce felt recoil

BigJimP
February 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, Klawman, you should do that ....( see my response on your link above please ...) ...

My primary shotguns for sport (clays and birds) are Over Unders ...and occasionally, I will use a semi-auto. I used to shoot pump guns a lot ...but all of my pump guns in 12ga and 20ga are 28" barrels as well. I have, and still occasionally will, use them for clays and hunting.

Any short barrel on a shotgun - is not the best for clays or birds / swing characteristics on a short barrel are not conducive to your best scores.

So yes, I use different platforms of shotguns ....my primary defensive weapons are handguns.

Recoiljunky
February 2, 2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know about all of you but all I used these days is marlin 120 for clays and hunting, I do have a sxs A.H model b but never use it. And I got a super redhawk for HD

rantingredneck
February 2, 2011, 02:23 PM
I primarily use an 11-87 for most of my hunting these days. Mostly because of chronic shoulder issues and the gas gun being much more gentle on the back end.

My dedicated home defense shotguns are 870's of various flavors. Though I have sporting barrels for all but one of them as well.

I'm only a rare participant in clay sports and I use my 11-87 or an 870 Wingmaster for that. Usually the 11-87 (that darn shoulder thing again).

rburch
February 2, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a mossberg 500, but often shoot my dad's 1187 when we go out to shoot clays.

So I use both, only issue I've noticed is a tendance to try to pump the 1187, which really throws me off trying to hit doubles :D

The pump is my HD gun, so it's not a huge problem. Now I mostly shoot pumps, so the problems I have are trying to run a semi like a pump. Which affects my scores on the range.

I do feel if that situation is reversed, and you're having the problems with your defensive gun, it would be a bigger problem.

markj
February 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
I use a winchester 1300 for deer and HD then the remington 11-87 light contour for upland game. Either one will put a hurtin on anyone chooses to do the wrong thing. Also have a 1100, a mossburg 500 a side by side 410 an ithaca pump and more I cant recall now. 2 safes full :) then we move over to the rifle safes...... and the handgun safes.......

pinetree
February 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
I don't own a pump. I have a Beretta semi that is my duck, goose, dove and turkey gun as well as my HD gun. I also have OU's for clays and quail.

I just can't see owning a single purpose HD gun unless I was doing Three Gun competitions.

44 AMP
February 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
Winchester Model 12 pump and Ithaca Model 51 semi for hunting, along with an Ithaca SxS for special days. I have a Model 12 with a riot gun length barrel on it, just for fun.

Home defense shotgun is a cheap Chinese 12ga SxS coach gun. It'll blast a hole through almost anything so I can get to one of my numerous handguns or rifles.

jrothWA
February 5, 2011, 04:53 PM
got involved in prospecting here in pacific NW.

Was looking thru a shop, found a Browning A5 12ga MAG for $300, out the door it went.
had a cracked wrist, that never bothered me.

When if the bush, panning it leaning against the gear, stoked with 00 Buckshot ready to go. Also have a .357 in shoulder holster.

And I use it for shooting trap too. Just a little more oil on tube for good cycling with 1-1/8 oz trap loads.

jna142
February 6, 2011, 02:06 PM
I shoot a beretta 303 auto in comp. Going to national championships in texas this year.

Signcutter1
February 6, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have an 870 a Moss 500 and a converted saiga 12, all totally dependable.

NightSleeper
February 8, 2011, 12:12 PM
I use semi-autos for hunting, pump for HD.

Nemsis
February 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have an 870 for HD and used an 11/87 for hunting and clays for years but I just bought my first O/U so we'll see what happens.

Hardcase
February 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
I use my old Winchester 1897 for clays and everybody looks at me a little funny. But it works for me! Dad and Grandpa took an awful lot of ducks and pheasants with it, too.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it as a good choice :D