PDA

View Full Version : Milt Sparks-Are they worth it?

Nick70
February 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
Well, here I am on month 3 of trying to get through to Milt Sparks to place an order. I actually took off work this morning so I could do nothing but hit the redial button on my phone over and over (pathetic, I know). I know they're one of the best holsters and in high demand, but this is ridiculous. I'm about at the point that I'm going to settle for another option. Anyone else been through this?

Sgt Pepper
February 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
I have Milt Sparks holsters, and I have others. If you are wanting one of his really custom skin holsters, then I say yes. If not, then it probably is not worth it, because you can source similar holsters from elsewhere. All of the top end shops have major backlog these days.

tjhands
February 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
They're great holsters, yes, but there exists a line of inconvenience in obtaining one over which I'm not willing to walk.

I believe you're well over that line. :)

This is the free-market in action. If one guy isn't delivering, someone else of equal or better quality *will* be. Shop around.

BikerRN
February 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
I think Brownell's carries Milt Sparks.

If they have one for your gun, as long as you don't mind Brownell's color choices, you're good to go.

Biker

Nick70
February 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
UPDATE - I actually got through and placed my order. Guess persistence pays off. Now for the 6-7 month waiting period.

JCP281
February 1, 2011, 10:57 AM
I personally think crossbreed makes a more usable holster. Iv seen the Milt Sparks holsters and to me, functionality wise, i might as well buy a galco or something cheaper.

MadHatter1
February 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
For me, its well worth the wait and effort for a VMII or any Milt Sparks product. They may make a similar product, but Galco, Bianchi, or any other mass produced, off the shelf holster isn't in the same time zone as far as quality, attention to detail, and fit goes.
I also like how they implemented a monthly quota of orders. Instead of having a 3+ year backlog (like some other premium holster makers), they only accept orders they know they can fill within their 6 month window. They haven't raised prices to an obcene level. They put out a superior product at a fair price point.

JCP281
February 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
Whats more important, nice stitching and leather....or actually functionality. You can get the same exact thing basically(minus the fanciness) from a cheaper company.

For the same price I can get something like the supertuck that will support/hide my pistol better. But to each his own. They are def nice though, ill give him that.

MadHatter1
February 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
Whats more important, nice stitching and leather....or actually functionality. You can get the same exact thing basically(minus the fanciness) from a cheaper company.

Nice stitching and leather will last a lifetime or more. A basic MS product if NOT fancy. A thin, cheap Galco will hold a pistol. A well made holster will hold it much better, more firmly, and in place. Quality typicaly FUNCTIONS better. They aren't even close to being the same.
I've used cheap holsters. They shift, they're loose, they're less comfrotable. they don't hold their mold long. At best, they last a few years of daily use.
I personaly don't like kydex IWB holsters. I have a slight build, and its too ridged for my liking. As was said, to each their own.
Nick70- If for whatever reason you don't like your MS, you can at least break even, and probably profit, by reselling it.

JCP281
February 1, 2011, 12:07 PM
LOL my whole comparison was based of actual side by side inspections of the milt with a Galco. Galco basically ripped MS off with their design. To me, they looked identical and held the pistol the same.

I just personally dont see the point in having to wait forever to get a holster when you can get an identical copy for less and have it now, or spend the same money and get a structurally better holster now also. Seems more like a name thing than anything else.

redrick
February 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
I really like the VMII. The last 2 that I bought took me 9 months to get. If you need a holster now, then they are not worth it.

Check out TTgunleather, he makes a great copy of the VMII, with about a 5 month wait.

ATW525
February 1, 2011, 04:52 PM
I've considered ordering from them, but the whole monthly quota thing seems strange. Price adjustment would seem the more logical solution. Ultimately, though, I found other holster makers who make designs I like more, with less hassle and better turn around times.

P97
February 1, 2011, 06:19 PM
Don't judge a Milt Sparks until you've carried in one. I've carried in a lot of different Holsters and none of them compared to the Milt Sparks VM2HS for me. Just like guns, two can look alike but function differently when used.

AK103K
February 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
I think they are worth it. They are one of the few leather holsters I use anymore, and so far, have been more comfortable and concealable, than the Galco Royal Guards I used to use.

Not sure how well they might hold up come summer, since I go back to my Blade Techs to get me through the sweaty months. So far, I have yet to find any leather holster to be acceptable in that respect. If you sweat, kydex is your friend. :)

You dont always have to wait months for the VMII's either. Depending on model of gun, they can be had on a pretty regular basis from Top Gun Supply. I've bought all of mine there, as well as a couple for gifts, and have yet to have to wait more than a couple of weeks to get one. You do pay a bit of a premium though.

MEATSAW
February 1, 2011, 06:47 PM
The one I had made for my S&W Model 60 was impeccable. This was 6 years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

HKGuns
February 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
They're great holsters and worth what he charges. They are NOT however worth a 7 month wait. I'd look at FIST or some other reputable maker well before I would even consider waiting 7 months.

Jack19
February 1, 2011, 07:22 PM
They're worth every penny. I've owned six and everyone of them them performed flawlessly, fit comfortably, and held up to real world handgun use for years.

I've never waited "months" for delivery. I've never had to hit redial for "months" to get through to place an order.

Milt knew what gun fighting was about, as did a lot of the men in LE of his era. His holsters, and those developed by those in his shop who have carried on his designs, reflect that understanding.

napg19
February 1, 2011, 07:30 PM
Mitch Rosen answers his phone and makes quality holsters and belts also. I like mine.

P97
February 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
Not sure how well they might hold up come summer, since I go back to my Blade Techs to get me through the sweaty months. So far, I have yet to find any leather holster to be acceptable in that respect. If you sweat, kydex is your friend. Cowhide don't take the Sweat very well, but the Horsehide does a lot better. I wear mine all summer, and my Gun stays fairly dry. I have a Stainless gun which helps, but the Horsehide don't absorb the sweat like Cowhide.

Double Naught Spy
February 1, 2011, 07:43 PM
The only thing I have not liked about my Sparks holsters is the wait to get them.

They are a tad pricey, but the quality is definitely there. When the time comes for a new one, I will order again.

I currently own 3.

I had a 4th, but the gun it was for got sold. The wife sold the holster on eBay and it went for more than what the same model went for brand new. I was shocked. It was in very good condtion, but definitely not new. The purchaser did not want to wait on an ordered holster.

That is part of the reason Sparks has their limits. There is a secondary market for their holsters where the pricing is crazy (at least that is m impression).

sdj
February 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
To me, they are. I have moved away from Comp-Tac 2 O'clock holsters because the clips broke frequently: they could not be relied upon. I replaced 2 EDC Comp-Tac 2 o'clock holsters with a Milt Spark Summer special and have found the Milt-Sparks much more comfortable. No going back, now. A big difference in comfort, for me. As AK103K mentioned: we'll see how the MS performs in the heat of the summer.

Good luck.

AK103K
February 1, 2011, 10:06 PM
Cowhide don't take the Sweat very well, but the Horsehide does a lot better.
I didnt have much luck either way. My Royal Guards were horsehide, and I used to use two of them in rotation in the summer, to no avail. Both were quickly soaked through and stayed wet. They just dont dry out quick enough.

If you are active, sweat a lot, and dont work in a controlled environment, kydex is what you want between you and your body.

ghost556
February 2, 2011, 03:17 AM
get the stronghold phoenix instead

NWCP
February 2, 2011, 05:51 AM
Milt thinks so. :D I placed an order (when he was still accepting them) with Matt Del Fatti and received my holster 2 years later. That's a record for me. That being said I had previously purchased one of Matts holsters and a couple of gun belts and liked them so much that the time didn't matter. The first items only took 9 months or so. I f you like the holster and it's not imperative that you have it in short order for duty carry, or some other reason then why not wait to get what you want?

Kreyzhorse
February 2, 2011, 07:43 AM
Now for the 6-7 month waiting period.

I'd really like a Milt Sparks, but I just can't see waiting that long. I mean I've no doubt they are worth the money, but I can't see them performing much better than my Galco's. But that doesn't mean I don't want one badly however.

WESHOOT2
February 2, 2011, 09:47 AM
I've been using one Sparks for sixteen years (a 1AT for my Witnesses), and another for at least a dozen (an HSR for my Redhawks).
I had to wait.

Similarly, certain guns have been sent to certain pistolsmiths for their professional ministrations.
I had to wait.

Fast food comes fast, but it really isn't very satisfying; know what I mean?

Where oh where is Disraeli when we need him?

Claddagh
February 2, 2011, 09:51 AM
FWIW, Milt Sparks only has about 5 or 6 (at most) folks who make their holsters: to-order, by hand and one at a time. Many of the other top custom shops (such as Iron Oak and Del Fatti) are basically a one-man show. IMHO, speculator orders make up a good deal of the reason that backlogs get so lengthy at many of the best-known and respected custom outfits, and lots of "I insist upon instant gratification" types are out there fueling them. So long as they're willing to pay a hefty premium over list via Ebay, etc. to do that, there'll be other folks angling to take their money. It's a vicious circle.

fredneck
February 2, 2011, 11:05 AM
You know what's more important than a holster.....A GOOD sturdy belt. I'm talking double width leather with a stiffener. Aker makes a decent cheap one, Galco and Hellweg a little pricer. I hate to see somebody put a high dollar handgun in a good quality leather holster then put it on a flimsy Wal Mart belt...or even worse a high dollar gun into a flimsy Uncle Mikes nylon holster on same belt.

Ken - Oh
February 2, 2011, 02:11 PM
I've considered ordering from them, but the whole monthly quota thing seems strange. Price adjustment would seem the more logical solution.

You do NOT have to wait that long, and there is an easy "price adjustment".

Sparks has decided to keep prices semi reasonable (nice of them, IMO). If you are willing to pay a premium, Topgun Supply and Lightning Arms Sports are authorized resellers, at a premium price. Both are good people to deal with.

Of course their stock is on allocation but Topgun will advise you by email when they get new stock in. I've bought that way and it has only taken a month or two.

Also, Brownells stocks the Summer Special if that's what you are looking for.

Yes, there are other great holsters out there. The known big names have long or longer waiting lists. (Don't believe what some of them put on their websites about 3 or 6 month waits. I'm sure some are truthful, but others are just fantasizing.) Or you can go with a lesser known outfit and maybe get something just as good....or maybe not.

Ken

michael t
February 2, 2011, 10:05 PM
I wanted one for years got a summer special couldn't stand it sold 1 week later to a cop friend. He carried less than 2 weeks He sold it also. Theirs better holsters at lower price and less waiting time.
I now use http://ubgholsters.com for my holster needs.

WVsig
February 2, 2011, 10:09 PM
They are good holsters but I think that they are overrated. I have owned a few and none of them stayed. I always felt that I paid too much and sold them quickly for what I paid for them.

There are other makers out there that are just as good, cost less and do not have the same wait time. Holsters are like underwear. Boxers or briefs. LOL

It sort of makes me laugh that people argue over something so subjective. If you like them buy them but they are not the only high quality game in town.

The Master Chief
February 2, 2011, 10:23 PM
As others have said, if you don't mind the wait, they are worth it. I have a #1 Heritage (IWB) that I use to carry a 10mm 1911 daily. Back in August I ordered 2 Versa Max @2's. One for the same 10mm and one for a Sig P226R in 9mm. I find the Versa Max 2 (also IWB)to be more comfortable to carry all day that the #1 Heritage but I like them both and will still use the Heritage when the situation calls for it.

Ken - Oh
February 3, 2011, 07:05 AM
I will agree that holsters are very personal and what works for one person (or one gun) maybe isn't ideal for another.

To me, the Summer Special is okay, but nothing to write home about (although is it somewhat easy on/easy off). The VMII is really their flagship. There is no reason why others of similar design won't work, but with Milt Sparks you get a known quality. As I said earlier, other well known and respected makers usually have long waiting lists too.

I do give Sparks a lot of credit for not jacking up prices to the sky and for trying to manage the backlog :)

Ken

dajowi
February 6, 2011, 12:21 PM
I waited for about three months for a Haugen Handgun Leather holster. It was worth the wait but I wouldn't wait 6 to 7 months for a holster made by anyone.

I recently purchased a IWB leather holster for a PPK/S made by Stoner Holster. The quality of materials and workmanship is as good as any I've seen. The price was $44 and I received it within a week.

Has anyone else noticed that the prices for holsters have gone up in the last year?

los
February 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
A Holster is a tool box.

What type of mechanic are you..? ;)

KyJim
February 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
I have two Sparks holsters for 1911 carry, a SS-II and a VM-II. I got both mine without waiting. I have been pleased with both.

Peter M. Eick
February 9, 2011, 05:43 PM
Yes.

My VM2 is 10 years old. I use it regularly. I have never done anything to it other then use it and it works well.

I would replace it with another if I even suspected it was damaged.

Mello2u
February 9, 2011, 08:19 PM
The holster pictured is the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/cbob10mm008copy.jpg

I ordered it by phone about a year ago. Guess I was lucky only made one phone call. I find it to be a great quality holster and a good value.

2Old2Change
February 9, 2011, 08:44 PM
I have a Milt Sparks holster, unfortunately I find it uncomfortable to wear. It's an IWB, very well made, but maybe it's because of my build, I don't know. I'm built like a big funnel. Big on top, narrow hips, etc.

orionengnr
February 9, 2011, 08:48 PM
No, they do not damage the finish on my pistols...although, if you have blued guns, a certain amount of holster wear is inevitable. A leather holster is nothing like the wear a kydex holster puts on your gun, though.

I have owned three Milt Sparks holsters; two VMIIs and a Watch Six.
Having owned almost one of everything, I can say: yes, they are worth every dime you pay for them, and worth every month you wait.
I really prefer the Watch Six for an my alloy 3" and 4" 1911s. For the steel 1911, the bulkier (and IMHO, somewhat less comfortable) VMII supports the additional weight better.

If you are impatient, go to Top Gun Supply or eBay and pay a premium to get one right now.

Ken - Oh
February 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
I have recently gone back to getting the soft suede in the waist holsters, they are reasonable priced, and comfortable to wear and they do not destroy the finish on my guns either.

My understanding is that the suede holsters, over time, will cause MORE wear on the gun. Over time, the suede traps dust and dirt and wears down the finish like fine sandpaper would do.

If a gun has a good finish on it, a well fitting, smooth leather holster should not cause significant wear.

If you find the suede more comfortable, that's great, it shows that there is no single answer. I do not find them more comfortable, they do not stop the gun from digging into me like a good stiff full grain leather.

Note the Summer Special II shown a few posts back is a lot lighter, thinner holster than the more popular VM II. I have both. The SS is easier to put on but the VM II provides more support for a heavy gun.

Ken

AK103K
February 9, 2011, 09:21 PM
A leather holster is nothing like the wear a kydex holster puts on your gun, though.
Ive found over time, leather is usually harder on your gun, and wears on its finish more "overall", where kydex only really wears on it at a few contact points and doesnt affect the rest of its finish. Kydex also pretty much eliminates the rusting issues too.

No matter what you use, if you use your gun, it will show it in some fashion. If you dont want that, dont carry it.

KyJim
February 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
A good leather holster should be "hard" so to speak. You don't want supple leather for a gun holster. And, if you use it and draw from it, there will eventually be wear on your gun. If that bothers you, buy a gun you don't mind putting some wear on. If you go to resell it, it may not bring collector dollars but most knowledgeable shooters don't mind honest wear on their shooters.

Rinspeed
February 11, 2011, 06:41 AM
I'd really like a Milt Sparks, but I just can't see waiting that long. I mean I've no doubt they are worth the money, but I can't see them performing much better than my Galco's. But that doesn't mean I don't want one badly however.

I own several of both and there is quite a difference in quality.

BlueTrain
February 11, 2011, 07:20 AM
I've seen used guns that were worn bright in places but they had no rust at all. And I've seen guns in the box that look like they had never been touched that had rust spots on them. So maybe rust is not such a big problem for something you actually use. However, if you live in a place like I do where it is extremely humid all summer long and if you sweat like I do (if you work like a horse, then you will sweat like a horse), you may need to give a little extra attention to most firearms. Just don't leave anything in a leather holster overnight.

I think that plain leather, especially un-dyed natural leather may cause more rust problems than the sort of commercial leather like that typically used for police equipment, at least the black stuff with nickel hardware.

Actually, I've had more problems with ammuntion not holding up when carried in leather loops and small pouches. Brass cased ammunition will turn green in two days; nickel plated holds up a little better.

That reminds me of a description of an old broadsword being offered for sale, that supposedly had a "finish consistent with being hung on a wall for 800 years.

P97
February 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
Some people don't like bright stainless for a carry gun, but if showing wear bothers you, you can't beat it. I've carried a stainless pistol for years in a leather holster, and you can't see the wear, because it all looks the same.