PDA

View Full Version : best .22 rifle for backpacking/hiking

checkmyswag
January 29, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thinking ruger 10/22 with folding stock, but maybe don't need the folding stock as the 10/22 isn't that long to begin with...

what do you think?

Wuchak
January 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'd want a takedown of some type. Check out the:
1. Marlin Papoose
2. Browning semi-auto takedown
3. Marlin 39a
4. Remington 572 Fieldmaster

Personally for hiking and backpacking a pistol is much lighter and handier. If I was going to carry the weight of a rifle it would be in something much more powerful than a .22.

silvercorvette
January 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
How about a AR-7 Henry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmpy_PLZGic)

StrongSideArmsInc
January 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
Try looking for a Springfirld Armory M4 Survial Rifle in 22 Hornet over 410.
This is an awesome pack rifle and the hornet is one of the finest cartridges ever designed.

Art Eatman
January 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
I gotta admit I'm partial to the little Browning take-down .22.

HiBC
January 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have to admit,new out of the box,it needed some tuning,extractor was not right,etc,but now,I have a real soft spot for my 22 WMR Chipmunk.I consider it a serious pack rifle.The extra thump of the magnum has value,IMO

silvercorvette
January 29, 2011, 10:46 PM
I gotta admit I'm partial to the little Browning take-down .22.

I don't know if we are talking about the same gun but I have always wanted the Browning easy take down that loaded through the stock and ejected through the bottom. It's a beautiful gun and the wood stock is much to nice to have it get all messed up that is why I would go with the AR-7.

I bought a used one recently that was about 30 - 40 years old it cost a couple hundred dollars, the new ones are almost $700

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=022B&cat_id=021&type_id=001&content=semi-auto-22-grade-i-firearms#center

hodaka
January 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
I'd forget the rifle and take a Ruger Mk2 or a Buckmark. Near rifle accuracy and much easier to tote.

BusGunner007
January 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
I read this article with great interest:

http://www.usrsog.org/surfire.htm

Very informative.
I also increased the font size to make it easier to read for my old eyes. :D

bamaranger
January 30, 2011, 02:00 AM
The synthetic Cricket is available for about $100 bucks and takes down w/ one coin slotted screw. But.....the diminutive Cricket, assemled, could just as easily be lashed to the outside of a pack frame like a take down fishing rod.

I like .22 handguns, who doesn't, but I shoot the Cricket better than any handgun, especially past 20 yds.

essohbe
January 30, 2011, 02:02 AM
^ Yea, Cricket!

hickstick_10
January 30, 2011, 02:08 AM
A rifle to fit in a pack.............................if only they made a pack rifle :confused:

They do!!!
http://www.packrifle.com/

Bamashooter
January 30, 2011, 06:10 PM
10/22 with a collapsable stock like the tapco might fit in a pack. If not, it could strap across the top of the pack and not stick out if it was collapsed. The crickett is a good idea if you dont mind single shot. I bought one for my daughter a couple years ago and it is a good shooter and very small. I would prefer something better than single shot if it were me.

overland
January 30, 2011, 06:23 PM
What's your reason for taking it on a hike? Small game hunting, plinking, or self defense? If its the latter, then consider a heavier caliber.

jhgreasemonkey
January 30, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'm with Hodaka. I would rather carry a browning buckmark camper or ruger .22lr pistol along while backpacking. If your set on a rifle then you could get a ruger 10/22 and put a folding stock on it. Or if your'e thinking protection then I would look at a larger cal.

smith357
January 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
I prefer a handgun for the backpack, rifles are just too darn big and bulky. The country I'm in dictates the caliber, here in OH my S&W kit gun is just about the perfect hiking companion, out west in the rockies I prefer something a bit bigger and it's still smaller and lighter than a rifle.

ozarkrecluse
January 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
If it has to be a .22, it would depend on how much you want to spend. I'd suggest buying a Ruger 10/22 Compact which has a 16" barrel. Combine that with a folding stock and it will work with most packs and does not require assembling to use. I like the Springfield Armory 22Hornet/410 suggestion but since I already have the Ruger it's what I carry on my trips.

Vt.birdhunter
January 30, 2011, 09:45 PM
The browning takedown is the prettiest, but it burns the inside of your wrist with bottom ejecting shells.

Marlins Papoose is the most practical.

The Henry is junk.

Ive owned all three for the same role your asking about.

dalegribble
January 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
a take down gun is useless once it's taken down. if you need a trail gun then you want it to go bang when you need it. a little ruger 10/22 would be nice, i also have a little henry large loop lever rifle in 22 that would fill the bill.

hornetguy
January 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
I know you asked about rifles, but I'm with the other guys that recommend a 22 pistol.
Actually I have given it quite a bit of thought, and have decided that as soon as funds allow, I'm going to get a Ruger synthetic framed pistol, used, cheapest one, and put a Pac-lite barrel/receiver on it. You can get one about 6" long, and with a synthetic frame would still be featherweight-light. Accuracy is supposed to be borderline remarkable with these uppers, and I can't imagine a more perfect backpacking gun.

JGant
January 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
Ruger 10/22....

SadistAssassin
January 31, 2011, 06:36 AM
When hiking you should think "lighter is better" get a revolver...you can feed it magnum loads too.

IrvJr
January 31, 2011, 07:11 AM
If you decide to go with a handgun, the Ruger 22/45's are nice because they are lighter with their plastic grip frame. Also, the Ruger Single Six is nice. You can shoot 22 LR or with the extra cylinder, shoot 22 magnum. a 5.5" barrel Single Six would be a nice blend between accuracy (longer sight radius) and packability. The Single Six has an aluminum alloy frame (the blued versions do) that makes it a little lighter to carry than an all steel gun.

There is an advantage that the rifle has over the handgun. In some states you might not be able to pack a handgun around (or it might require a permit), yet still port the rifle.

As others pointed out, the Marlin Papoose is compact yet a good quality semi auto. The 10/22 is good. Another gun to consider is the CZ Scout. It's a kids sized bolt gun (like a Cricket) but it has a detachable mag. You can replace the single shot adapter mag with a 5 or 10 round mag and have a little compact bolt gun to pack in your bag.

Claddagh
January 31, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'm another fan of the Browning .22. Having the same sort of concerns about the effects of constantly banging about in my truck or in the field on a beautiful and expensive little rifle, I happened across a like-new Norinco ATD copy and went from there.

I had it d&t'ed for a Lyman 66 that I had in my parts drawer, cobbled a Marbles FO front on and got a Galati padded case. So far it's worked out beautifully.

I've owned several versions of the AR7. The only one I was happy with was an original Armalite-made example. The rest of them pretty much sucked wind. Inspired design, but plain crumby execution, IMHO.

The last straw was when the extractor beat the crap out of the extractor cut in the breech face after fewer that 300 rds of use on a new Henry I bought and cracked the aluminum barrel shroud through at the bottom of the extractor cut.

As Henry demanded that the entire rifle (rather than just the barrel) be sent in for repair under warranty, and refused to spring for the shipping either way (which with all charges included added up to more than half of the cost of a new rifle. Shows what their vaunted "Lifetime Warranty" is really worth, IMO.) I ended up buying a replacement barrel instead.

When the plastic-covered replacement also bit the dust in short order, I gave up on them. It's lanquished at the back of the safe ever since.

I like my Springfield M6 .22 RF/.410 a lot, too. Handy, pretty versatile and rugged as heck. Sorta clunky, and getting harder to come by, but works well. Pricey now, which is a bummer.

I'm now looking at putting a Butler Creek folder on a Ruger 10/22 Compact I bought a few years ago for my youngest nephew to use when he visited. Just MO, but I think that'll make for a dandy little packer/utility RF.

booker_t
January 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
Consider the Ruger Charger? Small, light, packable, extremely accurate, .22 caliber.

http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/images/4901.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

HunterGuy
January 31, 2011, 01:31 PM
How about Thompson/Center's G2 Contender? They are highly modifiable from a 17HMR all the way to a 45/70 Govmt.

Comes in either pistol or rifle and can interchange barrels.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php