t3079
January 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
What's the best bet out of this lot?

Willie Lowman
January 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
Sig P226

t3079
January 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
Can't argue with the Sig! I'm really trying to keep about $500 range, maybe $550

wbw
January 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
I voted FNP because you didn't have FNX listed. ;)

I tried the PX4 at Bass Pro and it was too large and blocky for me.

I've not tried the SR9 or P99 so I can't comment.

I've not tried the SP-01 Phantom, but I have owned two CZs before, and liked them quite a bit, but couldn't shoot very well with either.

I just recently purchased the FNX-9 and love it. It's light weight but doesn't recoil any more than my heftier 9mms. It's DA/SA and the SA is pretty nice. Big ol' dot for a front sight and changeable backstraps. It's a keeper.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/FNX-9006.jpg

t3079
January 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'd really like to shoot the FNP but range doesnt have it.

Anyone know how much the new Walther PPQ will be and when it will start shipping?

p99guy
January 29, 2011, 07:24 PM
Walther P99 magazines are expensive....the FN FNP9 or FNX9 is a much better buy, and comes with 3 mags...and extras are reasonable. very reliable.

t3079
January 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
FNP definitely seems like a great value, feels like a really high quality gun

Ruger is really affordable too, but I'd probably say FNP feels like a little bit nicer otpion

Bamashooter
January 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
I voted FNH becouse I really like those guns.

Marlin009
January 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
Can't tell you the best but I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Beretta. I really like mine.

Ludarue
January 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Can't tell you the best but I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Beretta. I really like mine.

+1

I have a px4 sub compact in 9mm and absolutely love it.

tomwalshco
January 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Voted for the PX, but for the range, would rather have a 92FS. Very accurate, smooth as glass, could shoot it all day if I had the dough....

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
Can't argue with the Sig! I'm really trying to keep about $500 range, maybe $550
than how about the SIG Pro 2022. can be had for $400. IMO you cant beat that.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/69931

armoredman
January 29, 2011, 08:36 PM
I also have not fired the others listed, but I am very fond of my CZ SP-01 Phantom. Accurate, reliable and dependable.:cool::D

t3079
January 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sig 2022 would be a good buy too. I haven't been able to find one in person. I'd really like to at least see how the gun fits in my hand before buying it.
That said. I have shot the Sig p228 and it was a good experience. Feels like a rock solid weapon, and I shot it well (for me, I'm new to handguns so that's not saying much).

How's the polymer Sig compare to all the others? Especially grip, I've heard it's a little on the large side

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 09:03 PM
i believe the SIGPRO has interchangeable grips

t3079
January 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, I think it does have 2 sets of grips. That's just not a gun you see much of at any shops or ranges so it's really hard to know much about it.

Would you suggest it as a somewhat comparable, quality, and more affordable alternative to other Sigs?

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 09:18 PM
from what i have read and have seen for myself. the SP2022 is the most underrated gun SIG has. some say the trigger is better than the trigger on the p226. Also i think they just brought it back into production so i think that's why they are not around much. The one i played with at my LGS seem to have every bit the quality as any other Sig i have owned or seen. Infact as soon as my income tax comes in I will own one this week. my biggest problem is 9mm or .40S&W. :D

t3079
January 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I seem to be adding options, instead of narrowing them down.

There is definitely some appeal to going with the Sig name, though I really do think all the options I listed are pretty quality options

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
yes all good choices. but it's better to make sure you make the right choice. rather than get a gun that you wanna sell in two months cuz you found something else you like, like i do all the time. lol like going, man i just wish this gun was thinner, shorter, more powerful, lighter

Wishoot
January 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
No Glock 19?
No CZ75B?
No Browning Hi Power?

Ouch。

t3079
January 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
Haha nothing against glock, cz 75, or hi power.
I'm trying to keep the price around the $500 range.

Not a fan of the glock grip, CZ would be a nice option though

Mosin44az
January 30, 2011, 02:28 AM
I voted for the Px4 because my .40 functioned perfectly and was obviously high quality, very solid for a polymer pistol. It comes with 3 mags also.

I eventually sold it to a buddy because even with the smallest backstrap, the trigger reach was a bit too long on double action, and the DA pull a bit too heavy, for good accuracy for me on the first shot. Just didn't fit.

I also found the safety on my F model to be a pain to deal with. The FNX safety/decocker is frame-mounted and easy to reach, and springs back up instead of having to be pushed back up like the F model Berettas. If you want the Beretta I would recommend looking for a G model, decocker only, for this reason.

I have read that the FNX is improved over the FNP in a variety of ways so would hesitate to recommend the older model, which also may not have the decocker/safety setup I like.

I can't stand the Walther 99 magazine release, or its grip feel, and find the safety on the Ruger SR9 to be too far back and a bit slippery and tough to manipulate reliabily.

My point in all this: all choices are from good brands, but you have chosen a variety of trigger setups and safety setups among them. Maybe pick the setup you like the best, don't worry about quality so much. Trigger reach and DA pull are key also.

For ME, going with what your choices are, I would go with an FNX 9 because of the safety setup, grip feel, and relatively compact size.

Tactical Jackalope
January 30, 2011, 03:16 AM
Browning Hi-Power :) or Sig P226

wpcexpert
January 30, 2011, 03:17 AM
You forgot the Ruger P Series. The P95 and P89 are both great shooters. You really limited yourself with only those pistols. Unless those are the only ones, then I might would go for the Baretta out of that bunch.

dlb435
January 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
No Glock?
No Browning High Power?
No S&W 59XX?
I voted for the Walther P99; I have one and it's great at the range.
I carry the Glock.

t3079
January 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Nothing against the Ruger P series, I've heard reliability is great in these models. I definitely prefer the thinner grip and overall look of the SR9 though

Like many other people, the Glock grip angle just doesn't line up well for me.
I've narrowed it down to these choices primarily based on fairly solid reputations, good brands, and reasonable pricing ( I really want to stay around $500)
I know every gun fits everyone different, each of these are fairly suitable to my hand size but unfortunately they range doesn't have most of them to rent.

Carter
January 30, 2011, 06:13 PM
I voted the CZ SP01 Phantom. I didn't expect a great shooter when I got it, but I was impressed. The trigger pull was a lot better than I expected, and can be made 1911-like with a few cheap upgrades from what I've read.

It ate every type of ammo I fed it as well.
Accuracy was also extremely good. Took me awhile to get used to the DA/SA switch. I'm used to glock like triggers.
Buds sold it for $450, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with night sights.

10mm4ever
January 30, 2011, 06:31 PM
If absolute reliability and a long standing track record are your main concerns, look no further than the Beretta 92, CZ75 or the w.german SIGs. I trust no others "out of the box" as much as those three. You can get some great deals on 3rd gen S&W's and Ruger P series and they tend to be a very safe bet as well. Based on my own experience, there's no plastic out there that I trust to the same extant, including the Block.

shortwave
January 30, 2011, 07:37 PM
9mm for home defense/range.

You didn't list the 92 series Beretta. What a shame!

With 17 rds., sic reliability, accuracy and one of the smoothest actions around. Also, cost appropriate.

overkill0084
January 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
CZ.
You don't need the SPO1 to have a nice CZ. the less er..."tactical" 75 series guns are very nice as well.

redsrtturbo
January 30, 2011, 08:11 PM
Since I have never owned any of the listed guns, I will not vote in the poll- BUT, I do have to say something.

The past few months I wanted a CZ-75B in a real bad way. Almost bought it. I decided to take a closer look and over 1 week went to the gun store a few times to look at it and hold the gun and see if it was really for me.

Found a few things that would have made the gun less than ideal for me, and decided not to spend my money until I found a gun that was more in tune with my specific needs. From a comfort level the trigger was way too far up, the slide stop was not in reach without adjusting my grip. Overall, although it was extremely comfortable, I was able to convince myself that I would regret the mismatch and while using the gun, it the downfalls would force reliability issues between myself and the weapon.

Next up is a Hi Power, although the capacity is much lower, the grip is similarly comfortable and the trigger is nice and close. The slide stop is still a tad difficult to actuate, but they are an inexpensive and easy replacement.

Basically what I'm getting at-

You really should have it more narrowed down on what you want. Picking 1 gun out of 5 guns without evaluating each on its merits and ergonomics (assuming you haven't held or fired) is a bad idea and will not lead you to the best choice.

Good luck, hope you like the one you settle on. :)

tjhands
January 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
Glock 17, but of the ones you listed, I'd go with either thr Ruger or the Beretta.

But Glock 17.

t3079
January 30, 2011, 08:25 PM
All good advice guys, I really appreciate it.
Being new to handguns I really do appreciate any input from those with years of experience.

I have shot a Beretta 92 and definitely do like this one a lot. I think the only real reason I've been looking at the polymer designs is price.
Maybe a used Beretta might be closer to the right range, what sort of pricing have you guys found for the Beretta? The lowest I've seen have been some used ones in the $450 to $500 range. Don't know if it would be better to go with a cheaper new or a potentially nicer (metal) gun used.

My hands are somewhat smallish, I definitely don't want a grip any bigger than the Beretta 92 (this was right on the verge or too large)

t3079
January 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
One more thing, obviously reliability is a huge factor for any firearm. I do have other guns (shotguns) at home so I'm not solely reliant on the handgun for home defense, just nice to have it as a quick option

Jim243
January 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Beretta made the 92 famous, Taurus made it perfect.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_0823.jpg

Best shooting 9mm out there, big but beautiful. And in your price range.

Jim

Leejack
January 30, 2011, 09:02 PM
Right on the money Jim243!;)

t3079
January 30, 2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Taurus.
They do seem to have pretty mixed reviews (like any brand I suppose), but the prices are great.

They do at least make claims to have made their own improvements on the 92 design.

I also really like the look of the Taurus 917 in stainless, pretty much the same as the 92 just 1 inch shorter

t3079
January 30, 2011, 09:09 PM
Would you put Taurus in the same league as something like the Beretta PX4 or FNP or anything by CZ?

I think that's the most important question

SauerGrapes
January 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Would you put Taurus in the same league as something like the Beretta PX4 or FNP or anything by CZ?

In a word, NO. Don't get me wrong, I own 2 and carry one. Are they as good? Maybe. I don't know anyone that's worn one out. The PT92 and PT1911 seem to be two of their best products.

The Beretta is a really nice pistol. I also like the 2022! Don't own either but have shot both.
I'm still waiting to fall in love with a CZ of any kind. Nobody has showed up at the GC with one yet so I can "test" it for him......;)

You could buy any one of the pistols you listed and you'll be wanting something else to add long before you wear one out.......good luck!

Chet

Jim243
January 30, 2011, 10:01 PM
The PT-92 yes.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1221.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1495.jpg

Never tried a CZ - can't say.

Jim

orionengnr
January 30, 2011, 10:55 PM
HK P7

armoredman
January 30, 2011, 10:55 PM
Forgot to add the Phantom also comes with two different backstraps, didn't need to change the one I had on it. :cool: Love trying this thing at 50 yards.

mikerault
January 31, 2011, 12:05 AM
Since I haven't shot any of the pistols on the list I can't vote. I like the XD 9mm CD I have found it to be reliable, not particular about its diet, and deadly accurate out to 25 yards. As a companion I use the Hi Point 9mm carbine with the aimpoint sight. Again likes just about everything, reliable and deadly accurate in SD ranges.

t3079
January 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
I do like the option of a manual safety, maybe not a necessity but a nice plus.

The FNP is probably my front runner right now. I really like the look of the Beretta PX4 and have read mostly good things about it. The Ruger is probably the value play

I'm open to possibilities, wish I could shoot them all

Boats
January 31, 2011, 01:06 AM
PX-4

In 9mm one can get 20+1 factory capacity, which makes it a pretty potent nightstand weapon.

http://oi27.tinypic.com/2u77osi.jpg

Leejack
January 31, 2011, 06:58 AM

I think that's the most important question

Not every model made from every manufacturers have been a stellar gun.
Narrow it down. Taurus the company or the PT92 in specific?

The PT92, hell yes, it's as good as anything out there.

KJ-hunter
January 31, 2011, 03:10 PM
I have the PX4 in 9mm, and really like. I have not see the 20 round clips. Boats where did you find one?

peacefulgary
January 31, 2011, 03:43 PM
Don't overlook the Ruger SR9c....

With 17-round magazine for range and home....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6881.jpg

With 10-round magazine for everyday carry....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6884.jpg

Leejack
January 31, 2011, 03:59 PM
That's a nice looking Ruger! I like it!

peacefulgary
January 31, 2011, 04:19 PM
That's a nice looking Ruger! I like it!
Not only does it look nice, it shoots great too. :)

t3079
January 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
The Ruger compact would definitely be a pretty versatile gun, pretty hard to beat the value. I'm not really concerned about finding a carry gun right now, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have to option.

For Taurus I would probably look at the 92 or even the 917-I really like the look of this one (seems to be the same as 92, just 1 inch shorter)

PX4 with 20 rd option, that's a very interesting choice. Everyone seems to really enjoy shooting this gun (guess the rotating barrel is at least somewhat legit). I really with the range had one, I'd like to give it a shot. I like the safety/decocker too.

The ruger sr9 for around $400 definitely leaves a lot more cash for ammo, training, etc