PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between a ruger and a cougar!

tsillik
January 29, 2011, 04:33 PM
Can't seem to make my mind up on my handgun purchase, It is going to be a SR 40 ruger or a stoeger 8040cougar. Lets hear the good or bad on both, also customer service if it is needed! Terry

triplebike
January 29, 2011, 04:52 PM
Both are very good handguns. My pick would be the Cougar. I feel your getting more handgun for the money. I also prefer all steel to polymer & hammer to striker.

Between my two Cougars (8000 & 8045) over 4500 flawless rds fired.

Carter
January 29, 2011, 05:59 PM
I think the ruger would be the better choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a cougar, but the ones I've seen are chunky.

My experience with the SR9c has been nothing but wonderful. I'd love to have the SR40.

They have a great feel to them, reliable, eat any ammo, extremely accurate, and its a breeze to take out the magazine disconnect safety.

Ozzieman
January 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
I agree with triplebike. Both good guns.
I also like the cougar and own an 8000 that matches the magazine that my Beretta storm carbine uses.

balance
January 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
I haven't shot the Ruger, but the Cougar I had was soft shooting and reliable.

Also, I think the frame is aluminium.

LockedBreech
January 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wow, that is a tough choice. Both of those are pretty high on my wish list. I vote Cougar. Beretta engineering with a more proven track record.

labhound
January 29, 2011, 07:49 PM
I had an SR9 and sold it when I bought a Stoeger Cougar 8000 F 9mm. Cougar was softer shooting, fit my hand better and I shot it more accurately. That being said, they're both good guns. I suspect the 40 cals are the same.

jmstr
January 30, 2011, 03:46 AM
Hmmm,

I own 3 Rugers, but I married a cougar. Does this count?;)

Seriously, I just had to through that in. I have no knowledge of the cougar. I will say that recent comparisons at the range have left me majorly impressed with the accuracy and reliability of the Ruger brand semi-autos. And I was comparing the P97 to a Sig P220, HK USP .45 compact, m&p .45, Kimber 1911a1 and Sistema [argentine 1911a1]. The Ruger grouped at least 1/2" better for me than the closest competitor-and at least 2" better than the Sig P220 Combat grouped for me.

This is just how they work in MY hands though.

Ruger is a very worth-while gun. I am tempted to pick up a Ruger 9mm to add, but I have to pay off some guns first. I don't really need 7 9mm anyways, do I?

jmortimer
January 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have good experience with Ruger C/S and really like the SR guns. Owner reports I have read, including review at Gun Blast make the SR40 a buy.

Forseti
January 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
The cougar is thick...is this for concealed carry?

Work backwards from a few other factors...

1. If not for concealed carry, a heavier pistol will "generally" be nicer to shoot than a lighter one in the same caliber, assuming equal triggers. But weight and bulk count against carry.

2. JUST in case...read the warranty card, or check the manufacturers website, and compare the warranty/return-fix policies of both companies. With all else being equal, I'd go for the better warranty/fix policy.

youngunz4life
January 30, 2011, 10:38 AM
ruger all day every day

B.N.Real
January 30, 2011, 10:55 AM
The Cougar is a great design with the barrel design giving great accuracy but the Ruger is a new handgun and I have yet to read a bad review of that Ruger.

I'll say for me,it would be the Ruger.

Plus,the Ruger was made by your neighbors.

ARick81
January 30, 2011, 11:04 AM
As far as cougars go, it all depends.. I have dated a couple in the past, and they can be fun at first, but eventually they want to introduce you to their kids and that can be a little awkward when they are the same age as you. Another problem with cougars is the ex husband factor, in which it would be a good idea to carry a ruger, just in case the divorce isn't finalized

gyvel
January 30, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, that is a tough choice. Both of those are pretty high on my wish list. I vote Cougar. Beretta engineering with a more proven track record.

Not to mention that legendary Turkish quality...:barf:

Walt Sherrill
January 30, 2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe you could cross a Ruger with a Cougar and get a Kruger?

http://phil-are-go.blogspot.com/2010/01/kruger-pistol-k-makes-it-affordable.html

LockedBreech
January 30, 2011, 02:30 PM
gyvel, you're buying Italian quality when you buy a Cougar. Stoeger is owned by Beretta, and the Cougar is made on Beretta machinery using Beretta components. They just moved the operation to Turkey to save on taxes. I have yet to read about any QC issues with the Cougar.

jmortimer
January 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
"...you're buying Italian quality..." from Turkey as opposed to Swiss quality, Austrian quality or American quality. For me the idea of Italian quality from Turkey make it an easy choice, American quality from Arizona - Ruger.

Cougarman
January 30, 2011, 03:09 PM
I did a lot of research before I bought my Cougar 9mm. It was my first handgun and I needed to get it right the first time. There are
many good guns out there but I don't think you can go wrong with the cougar. Like it so much I took on the name.
Cougarman

LockedBreech
January 30, 2011, 03:37 PM
See, I understand bad quality reputations such as those of Taurus - because there is a TON of anecdotal evidence from dealers and shooters alike pointing out flaws, breakages, and customer service issues. I have not heard one of these with the Stoeger Cougar or frankly the Stoeger brand in general. Have you?

shenny88
January 30, 2011, 04:37 PM
I was considering both the sr9c and the cougar 8000. To be honest, im sure id be happy with either one. However, i did end up going with the Ruger because should anything ever go wrong, Rugers customer service is outstanding and there is parts and service available almost everywhere. At the 3 main gun shops in my area, nobody deals Stoeger.

Moe Howard
January 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
I bought a Cougar a couple of years ago thinking it would be my bug out bag gun but I like it too much. Excellent workmanship, plenty accurate and fits my hand very well. I also looked at the SR but Rugers recent recall issues just turned me off, which is tough for me to swallow since I cut my semi auto handgun teeth on the Ruger P series of guns and loved every one I have ever had.

triplebike
January 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
tsillik ,
I've been at this whole gun thing for less than a year, so I'm pretty much a newbie like you. One bit of advise that I would like to pass on in threads such as this. If a poster " bad mouths " a firearm that they know nothing about, totally disregard what they have to say because they're talking out their butt.

There are plenty of decent gun owners that will give you the straight scoop. They will give you honest advice & really try to help you out.

tsillik
January 31, 2011, 06:00 PM
Gotter done today, weather had us not working, went to Bass Pro asked if they ever had the cougars on sale. Salesman said they never know what manufacturers are going to have on sale. But he said if you open a Bass Pro Visa card they give you 10% off your first purchase, so i said sign me up! In thirty days pay off with no interest. Got the .40 cal. all silver model. Now just need to run some rounds threw it. Want to thank everybody for their input. Terry Also what i saved with the card will pay for my 5 year CC permit. Also going to have to scare up some nice wood handgrips.

jmstr
January 31, 2011, 06:16 PM
Cool: congratulations!

Now, give us a range report after your first 100 rounds!:D

LockedBreech
January 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
That forty-cal silver is the exact one on my wish list. Mind throwing some pics up when you get a second?

tsillik
January 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Not the best camera or picture taker!But here you go !

triplebike
January 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Run it a little on the "wet" side, especially during the break in. Keep the cam on the barrel well lubed, as well as the block it fits into. Don't be afraid of a little extra oiling the gun loves it. Can't wait to hear a range report. I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprised at just how good the Cougars are. Enjoy!

PS - There are plenty of Beretta grips available for your new gun & CDNN sells replacement Beretta factory mags for 19.99.

HKGuns
January 31, 2011, 08:59 PM
How bout a Luger?

LockedBreech
February 3, 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks, tsillik! Nice looking gun!