PDA

View Full Version : Value of Israeli Mausers

darwins
January 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
I find myself wanting to convert part of my gun collection into more modern firearms for practical purposes. But I've been away from the collecting world for a couple of years and feel I've lost contact with real values for some of the guns I have. Two in particular are Israeli Mausers, one a rework of a German Mauser and the other an FN contract Mauser with the IDF crest on the receiver. I would appreciate some opinions on their current value. You can see pictures here:

Israeli K98 (http://picasaweb.google.com/dhsass/Israeli_mauser?authkey=Gv1sRgCKfcpPjK0syvkgE&feat=directlink)
The sling pictured with the rifle in the above link is a reproduction but the sling currently with the rifle is original and in very good condition. The rifle itself is in excellent condition, post-rebuild to 7.62mm. This is such a beautiful rifle, I never thought I'd ever consider selling it.

FN Israeli Mauser (http://picasaweb.google.com/dhsass/FNIsraeliMauser?authkey=Gv1sRgCIatuvvOiomlVQ&feat=directlink)
Likely refinished. the metal is not pitted below the wood and is in very nice condition overall. The wood is rough and has nails in the sling slot likely used to fasten a sling at one time.

Again, I appreciate any opinions on value. Thanks.

DoctorXring
January 29, 2011, 05:07 PM

Darwins -

I collect this type of K98 rifles.
If you can provide these details, I can give you a value.

Do the bolts have number on them that match the receiver number ?

What is the condition of the bore ?

thanks, Chris

jonnyc
January 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
The first, nice condition, looks like one of the earlier Armscorp imports. If so, they were in nice shape and matching. Depending on detail condition and matching, they seem to be in the $350-$450 range. The second looks like the more recent imports from Guatemala. Their condition is generally pretty low, and I wouldn't give over $250 for any of them.

eastbank
January 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
i have two rifles just like yours, a dot-45 post war rebuild and a FN made rifle for the israelies with the israelie crest on the reciever ring.both rifles are pit and rust free, the dot-45 was imported by armscorps,the FN has no visable import marks. both are the best shooting 98 mausers i own. both were rebarreled by the israelies in 7.62x51 and were unused when surplused. i got a israelie bayonet and garnade launcher for the dot-45. mine are not for sale. eastbank.

eastbank
January 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
here are two pictures of the recievers of the above rifles, eastbank.

darwins
January 30, 2011, 12:26 AM
The condition of the first one is excellent. No pitting whatsoever and the bore is perfect. It looks unissued since rebuild. The stock has no dings or scratches. The bolt is not numbered to match the receiver. I guess it would have surprised me if it had been. The finish of the bolt matches that of the receiver in color and condition. The ball of the bolt handle is hollowed out.

Regarding the FN Mauser, the metal is also in very nice condition. I would highly suspect that the metal has been arsenal refinished and the new finish on the action is still very strong. There is no pitting in the metal. The bore shows wear but is still quite shootable. The wood is dark and has many dings and the "embellishments" evident in the picture but the wood intact and has no cracks or repairs. Again, the bolt's finish is the same color and condition as the rest of the action but the bolt is not numbered to match the receiver. I just noticed for the first time that the magazine baseplate is German marked (byf).