PDA

View Full Version : SIG p220 issue

proxpilot
January 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
I noticed the slide catches prematurely on the magazine i believe. the slide will catch and stop before the lever hits the notch in the slide. but when i eject the mag the slide will close. Also last trip to the range i noticed what looked like little slivers of brass in my slide grease. i had 0 failures or problems in this range session. any ideas?

grumpa72
January 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
Was there a question here?

If you are asking about magazine problems, does this happen with a spare mag? I have a Sig P226 that does not like aftermarket 10 round mags. They are only good for the range.

proxpilot
January 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
this happens with all 3 of my mags. all 3 are factory SIG mags, 1 is brand new.

proxpilot
January 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
this is were the slide will stop if i slowly pull the slide back. if i drop the mag the slide will release from here, but will not release if i lock the slide were it is supposed to be. last time at the range i seen what looked like some Brass shavings on my slide.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/002-2.jpg

balance
January 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
In that case, I'd take a guess and say that for some reason, the mags are riding too high. Is the slide catching on the feed lips of the mag, or somewhere else? Is this pistol new?

proxpilot
January 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
no it was purchased used. I cant tell if the slide is catching on the Mag or the slide release. Also the gun does not cycle rounds smoothly when cycling by hand the round catches a little bit while entering the barrel. that probably explains the brass shavings.

balance
January 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
This only happens on empty mags, right? Is the mag hard to pull out when the slide jams like this?

You should check the gun over and try to find exactly what the slide is catching on. If it is catching on the mags, I'd imagine that they would be harder to pull out than normal. Check to see if the mags have any play in the magwell when it jams like this. If they feel normal, then I'd imagine that it is the slide stop. I don't know about the brass shavings.

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 02:21 PM
what i seem to think after looking the gun over is the mag is pushing the slide stop up too far, and it is catching on the slide when the mag is empty. i think this is also causing my un smooth feeding. i think the little lip on the brass is catching on my barrel somewhere causing the brass shavings. anyone know what would cause the mag to go up too far?

bravo124
January 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
The only thing that can make the mag go up too far is the mag release button is not properly fit inside the magwell. I doubt that this is the problem. Take the slide off and insert your mag slowly until you hear the mag release lever click in the recess of the mag. At this point, the mag cannot go up any further. Even then, the floor plate would stop the mag. Turn the slide upside down and look at the rear of the slide. It should be dovetailed. If it is straight, the hammer could be hanging up.

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 02:58 PM
It should be dovetailed. If it is straight, the hammer could be hanging up.
but the slide releases itself after the mag is released or the slide stop is pressed down

bravo124
January 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
So you think that the slide stop is pushing on the slide when the mag is empty ?

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
yes it catches on the slide when the mag is empty. but im not sure if it's a mag issue or a slide stop issue. Im leaning toward mag issue because im not getting a smooth feed into the barrel.

balance
January 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well, I don't have much experience with Sigs, mostly because I'm a lefty, but if the slide is catching on something, and taking out the mag lets the slide release, then I'd imagine that it has to be either the mag or the slide stop that is riding too high and catching on something.

But if the slide releases when the slide stop is pulled down, I'd imagine that it is the slide stop that is the issue. Try getting the slide to catch, and then pulling the mag out while pressing up on the slide release. If the slide stays put, then I'd imagine that the slide stop is the issue.

If it was catching on the mags, the slide would be putting forward pressure on the mags and it would be harder than normal to pull them out of the magwell. Is it harder than normal to pull them out of the magwell?

bravo124
January 29, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, but you said that all three are factory with one being brand new.

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 05:01 PM
the slide closes after ejecting the mag while pressing up on the slide stop. so im guessing it's the mags pressing the slide stop up to high.

bravo124
January 29, 2011, 05:13 PM
Yes, but I would look at the slide stop being the issue more than the mags. It's just crazy to think that all three mags are defective. Anything is possible though.

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 05:19 PM
well someone mentioned the mag release button could be the issue with the mags if it's not inserted properly. when the mags reach the top of the mag well they do not insert how i would call smoothly.

bravo124
January 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
That was me. I just think it has to be the slide stop. Can you take it apart and see if the slide stop spring is on wrong. If it is not on right, it won't hold the slide stop down.

AK103K
January 29, 2011, 06:22 PM
Before you go and do anything drastic, I'd go out and shoot the gun left handed, and see if the problem still exists.

SIG's are notorious for problems like this, and its usually not the guns fault, but that of the user and the users "grip".

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
SIG's are notorious for problems like this, and its usually not the guns fault, but that of the user and the users "grip".
so me pulling the slide back and having it catch on the slide stop has do do with my grip when firing?:confused: the slide doesn't catch while firing cuz the slide has enough force to move the slide stop lever.

AK103K
January 29, 2011, 07:26 PM
I just reread what you said again, and see what I was thinking the problem was, is probably not the issue. You hear slide stop and mag issues with SIG's, and its usually the grip problem.

Have you disassembled (field stripped) the gun, cleaned it and checked things out yet? If something is causing the slide to hang up and retarding its movement, you should see wear on parts somewhere.

proxpilot
January 29, 2011, 07:46 PM
there is some wear on the slide stop were the slide catches it and i noticed some gold brass coloration on the rail that runs down the middle of the slide.

AK103K
January 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
That doesnt really sound out of the ordinary. The brass on the slide is normal, as long as its just basically color on the slide, and not shavings. If its just light finish wear on the stop, thats normal too, but if it looks like its wearing much past that, then its not. Seems if its dragging on the slide, the slide would show wear at that point to.

When the gun is apart, try slipping the mag in the gun and see what goes on with the mag follower (empty mag) and the slide stop. Id also look at the slide stop and see if everything seems right and moves easily.