PDA

View Full Version : Best 9x19mm factory defense load

Para Bellum
January 22, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Folks,

given these test results: http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

147gr bonded JHP seem to be the best choice for a 9x19mm.

What other products apart from Winchester are out there if you want a 9x19 147gr bonded JHP?

Forseti
January 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
Only marginal wound differences between modern brand name self defense loads within the same caliber. Don't worry about that.

Worry and test more about how it feeds in whatever you are shooting. Reliability over minuscule wound potential differences.

Worry and test more about how good you are with followup shots while shooting "hot" self defense ammo.

The "best" ammo is what reliably feeds, and allows good control...for you and whatever you use to shoot. That may be different for each individual and class of weapon.

There is no single overall best, other variables factor in.

rjksx1
January 22, 2011, 01:33 PM
best answer i've seen yet to this "burdensome" question

scorpion_tyr
January 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
I agree with the two above me, and I'll add that unless you think you might be shooting through windshields you probably don't need anything bonded.

Forseti
January 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
rjksx1, thank you...

I think I will make a post for how to pick the best self defense ammo...but with slightly different criteria than the usual....

Para Bellum
January 24, 2011, 04:43 AM
Only marginal wound differences between modern brand name self defense loads within the same caliber. Don't worry about that.
Worry and test more about how it feeds in whatever you are shooting. Reliability over minuscule wound potential differences.
Worry and test more about how good you are with followup shots while shooting "hot" self defense ammo.
The "best" ammo is what reliably feeds, and allows good control...for you and whatever you use to shoot. That may be different for each individual and class of weapon.
There is no single overall best, other variables factor in.
Thank you for your time, but we all know that.
The question was a different one though.

WESHOOT2
January 24, 2011, 07:11 AM
The question suggests the 147g projectile is best, but the real world offers no similar reflection of that assumption.

So, to answer the question, any manufacturer offering a bonded 147g projectile; Remington Golden Saber? Speer Gold Dot?

bdb benzino
January 24, 2011, 07:34 AM
I really like the Speer Gold Dot HP! Gold Dots are my all around favorite for all calibers.;)

Para Bellum
January 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
I prefer "HPs" with a cover over the HP preventing it from being clogged. Is there anything out there with this feature in 147grs?

ClydeFrog
January 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
The best carry/duty round for general use in 9mm/9x19 is the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP. ;)
This round is rare and hard to buy for many citizens but is very popular with US police agencies that issue or allow the 9x19mm caliber.
Other good common rounds include the Remington Golden Saber bonded 124gr +P JHP, the Hornady TAP & Critical Defense loads, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP(another well respected LE duty round), the Corbon DPX.

nefprotector
January 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
I like CoR@Bon, Buff Bore, and the NEW Winchester Bonded ammo.

DannySeesUSMC
January 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't specifically go after bonded handgun ammunition unless there was a really good sale price on them. It's for law enforcement/barrier penetration and not needed for defense rounds (hopefully).

If it's what you want based on your environment and performance demands by all means. Border Patrol (many times over more violent action in a year than any other agency) likes 9-11" inch of penetration and FBI prefers 14-16", both are just fine and all in between.

Bonded you can just grab Winchester or Speer, non-bonded you can grab the HST's. To me it's so trivial in the long run that I would just match the recoil and shot location of practice FMJ ammunition with any modern HP from big 3 and test reliability of the round in my pistol/s.

It's fun to watch for all the testing data and updates on what people issue/purchase though.

AustinTX
January 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
given these test results: http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf

147gr bonded JHP seem to be the best choice for a 9x19mm.

That conclusion is not necessarily and conclusively supported by the data provided. Kinetic energy does matter.

ClydeFrog
January 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
One of the last few member posts made a good point about bonded pistol rounds but I disagree to an extent.
In a real, dynamic, violent use of force incident you(as a armed citizen, NOT speaking as a sworn LE officer or armed security) may be forced into a shooting event where you need to shoot at common barriers(wood, metal, auto glass, etc) the same way a sworn LEO or security guard/EP agent would.
I read a few months ago how a KY state LE agency reported that about 90% of their documented shootings were near or involved auto-glass.
I'd want to base my carry/protection rounds on what working LE units show works well in REAL critical events. If bonded handgun rounds work better then that is what I'd choose.

pgdion
January 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
147gr may not shoot well in all guns (mass vs spin rate, ect). I like the 124/125gr loads for defense myself. Still have a good velocity and pretty much should shoot well in almost everything. I have to admit I haven't ever tried any of the 147gr though. I don't like the lower velocities and they pretty much show a lot less energy for that reason vs the 115 & 124gr bullets. The 124gr American Eagle are what I currently use however I may switch to the 124gr Hydrashock (JHP) once I have time to test some in each of my guns.

peacefulgary
January 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Permit me to ask this question. If someone pointed a pistol at you, would it really matter what it was loaded with? I think not...

Would it really matter if it was a .380 or a .45 as well.
If caliber and load didn't matter then all of the police and military around the world would be carrying .22 pistols.

Bamashooter
January 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
I use remington golden saber in both my .45 and 9mm. Never had any feeding issues with them. YMMV

Gary L. Griffiths
January 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
For a full-sized pistol, I would carry 124-gr Federal HSTs.
For a short-barreled pistol, I would carry 124-gr Federal Tactical Bonded or Speer Short-Barrel Gold Dots.
For a lightweight concealable pistol (e.g., Kel-Tec PF-9) I would carry 115-gr Cor-Bon DPXs.

Any premium defensive load will do, but I tend towards the original 9mm loading (124 gr), with the lighter stuff for lightweight pistols to minimize muzzle flip.

YMMV