PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions...

Fuzzyinline
January 20, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ok, so heres the deal... ive looked, and looked, and looked some more at a BUNCH of guns.. i just started hunting this year... and i love it.. Mainly hunting wild boars at a range of no more than 3oo-4oo yards... I have no more than 15oo dollars i can spend... what is some of the best rifles out there to look at getting... either Bolt action or semi-auto... but i know i Do want either a 27o or 308 calibur... ive looked at the Remington 7oo's, which i love... savage rifle in .308.... a browning 27o, which was ok... and an FNAR in .308... and i love them all, but 15oo is a lot of money to spend, and i wanna make sure i get something i will truly love... been researching all these, and just not sure.. any suggestions? Any other kind of rifles i should look at?

4EVERM-14
January 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
One way to approach the question is to spend just enough to get a quality gun and the rest on ammo. Of the choices mentioned I think the Savage to be the best value. Good quality at reasonable price. They even offer gun/scope package deals. That leaves a lot of $$ for practice shooting. Just a thought.

David

jmr40
January 20, 2011, 03:35 PM
Savage rifles shoot as well as guns costing hundeds more for sure. But they are also the butt ugliest gun out there.

With a $1,500 budget you might as well get something you will be proud to pass on to your grandkids. Right now the new Winchesters are building he best rifles for the money. Not as cheap as some, but the quality is there. For around $700 you can get a great rifle. Spend $400 on a Leupold scope and you still have plenty of money for ammo.

stokesj19
January 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
If it is mainly a boar gun. What about a DPMS LR308 you can get one for about 800, and are just as accurate as most bolt actions.

gaseousclay
January 20, 2011, 03:59 PM
it looks like you've narrowed your list down a little, so that's a good start. You might wanna look at the Winchester Model 70, Weatherby Vanguard or Mark V, Sako or Kimber. If I had $1500 to spend i'd probably go with a Winchester or Weatherby and use the rest of the money to get a decent scope. I have a Browning .270 which I haven't fired yet but they're supposed to be good rifles. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a crappy rifle, although, I think with the negative press surrounding Remington i'd avoid their 700's for now.

JiminTexas
January 20, 2011, 05:08 PM
If it's just or primarily for hunting hogs, that is ferral pigs and not European Boars, a completely different animal then why not tru a realy inexpensive ex-military bolt action like a Spanish or South American Mauser in .308 or a Swiss K31 straight pull bolt action or even an M91 Russian Moisen Nagant that you can pick up for under $90? They are all good servicable guns. People may laugh at you for hauling around an antique, but I personally just smile and remind them of how little I paid for mine ( I have 6 and the grand total of what I paid for the lot of them is less than what some of these guys high priced shiny new toys cost) and then I remind them that I kill just as many hogs as they do.

PIGMAN
January 21, 2011, 04:09 AM
For around $800 the DPMS 308 is a great dual purpose rifle for hunting hogs,deer and varmints.This rifle is a great self defence weapon as well;however,this rifle and cartridge would not be my first choice for shots over 300 yards at a hog.

Remington makes a semi auto in several hog thumping calibers including 30/06plus you can pick up a used 742 for aroung $300. For shooting over Hogs over300 yards away the 30/06 would not be my first choice either.

Since you are shooting hogs at long range the 7mm mag would be the ticket as far as cartridge selection goes. 7mm mag is almost excusive to bolt rifles.

Any of the Rifles suggested on this thread are fine choices for general hog thumping;however, in your price bracket a couple of bolt rifles come to mind that have not been mentioned.

I am a fan of Mauser and there are lots of fine used Mausers for sale right now. For a wide selection of used Mausers check with Cabella's Gun Library on line, they have some real beauties in stock.If you are only interested in a new rifle take a look at a Mauser clone such as Sako with a 28'' barrel for those long shots. If you reload or ammo cost is unimportant go with a used Weatherby Mark V chambered in 7mm Weatherby Mag. manufactured back when when Roy was building them in California.

As for a scope I like Nikon.They make a very good product for a reasonable price. Since you will be shooting in excess of 300 yards at somthing the size of a hog go with a 6x20 varible power. The Sample List has about the best deals on optics around so you may want to check them out.

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx

Feel free to message me if I can be of further assistance.

Abel
January 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
I'd get a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in 280 Remington. Top with a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42mm and Warne bases/rings. You could do alot worse, but you won't get much better for this price.

pabuckslayer08
January 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
Abel is right on, He said the x bolt and im more of a A Bolt guy but both are great guns, come glass bedded with detach mags and free floated. The .280 Caliber is a very nice one also, and its different. I have a .270 and love it as well as a .280 and both shoot nearly the same. Im personally not a .308 fan at all as I would rather just get the 30-06 if I were going to 30 cal guns

taylorce1
January 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
Well what are your tastes in rifles? Do you want synthetic stock or wood? Stainless steel or blued barrels? Semi auto, single shot, bolt or lever action rifle? Are you stalking these boars or are you shooting from a blind?

$1500 is a great budget for buying a factory rifle, you don't have to go cheap and sacrifice features and you can buy a pretty complete package for that kind of money. If you are stalking your hogs then I'd recomend a light weight short barreled rifle that is easy to carry and points quickly and naturally. If you are hunting mainly from blinds over open fields then get yourself a precision rifle where weight isn't a concern.

.270 or .308 will get the job done at the ranges you described. Plus they will give you a lot of factory ammunition choices to find what shoots best in your rifle. I think you are on the right track you just have to narrow down your tastes to refine your choices a little more.