PDA

View Full Version : a birthday gun?

hemiguy
January 16, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hey. Guys today is my 23rd bday...
And I was thinking to myself why not buy me a new gun...

I am open to choice... this isn't a specific purpose weapon...
It can be a semi auto... a revolver... sub machine... or rifle.. no shotties though... and no bersas

Ok.. with that in mind ...... GO!!

Uncle Malice
January 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Happy birthday. :)

Since you're 23... why not a Glock 23, Sig P238, or an AR-15 in .223... :p

gak
January 16, 2011, 02:29 PM
More parameters? Price ceiling? Proclivities? Single action western six shooters vs DA self defense-oriented revolvers, target/range vs carry/SD auto pistols? Big game hunting rifles vs classic "military" vs plinking or home defense carbines? Price limits and basic likes will make our job of vicariously spending your money that much easier!
Oh, and happy birthday to a fellow January baby--and same week too! :)

S_Constitutionist
January 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
9x18 CZ82!!

Sounds like you just want something for fun (though the 82 can certainly serve as an SD pistol), so why not make it cheap? 9x18 ammo can be found online for cheaaaaap as well

http://wardragon.com/cruffler/pics/cz/cz-82_c.jpg

egor20
January 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
For a fun gun, just get a .22 (revolver, auto, rifle) inexpensive ammo, and hours of fun

FoxtrotRomeo
January 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
Sounds like you want a "fun gun"

I'd go with a MPA Defender. Go 9mm and have some fun trying to dump the ammo as fast as you can pull the trigger at the range.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA30T&cat=27

gak
January 16, 2011, 04:36 PM
"Everybody" should have:
- For plinking, small game and "just because" - A Ruger Single Six .22
/.22 Mag convertible single action revolver
- For home/self defense: A basic reliable 9mm auto pistol - take your pick of old school (Browning HP, CZ75 series, older Smiths) or new school Ruger SR9C, S&W M&P, Glock, Springfield XDM, CZ, FNP, Walther, etc)
- "Just because" - Old school .45 auto - 1911 - RIA Tactical if budget, maybe the new Remington, then Springfield GI or Milspec, Springfield Loaded, on up to Springfield TRP, various Kimbers, Dan Wessons, and now we're getting up into $$.
- For self defense and trail/camp, a good mid-frame .357 revolver - Smith (K/L frame) or Ruger (GP100).
- For a reliable carry or BUG, a J Frame Smith or classic (disc) Colt Detective Special .38 or Ruger SP101 .357 (loading .38+Ps mostly) or .327 Fed Mag
- For shooting skills development/maintenance, small game and fun plinking: A nice bolt .22 rifle - maybe a newer CZ or older Win, Rem.
- For ultimate fun plinking: A .22 autoloader - Ruger 10-22, Marlin 60, maybe an older Rem Speedmaster.
- For short-to-medium range deer and truck gun, and just because: A lever .30-30 - Pre-64 Win 94 (ca 1941-63 incl.) or Marlin 336.
- A good all around deer rifle in .270 or .30-06 - Rem 700 CDL or Win 70, or one of the nicer Savages.
- For home defense and range/target fun: A .223 autoloader... Ruger Mini 14 or AR-15
- For history, home defense and "just because" - an M1 Carbine, preferably a nice original GI.

FoxtrotRomeo
January 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
I don't "roll" like that.

This is the way i "roll"

- For plinking, - Glock 27, XD-40, .45 1911s

- For home/self defense: See plinking + AR-15 or AK or 870 Express (tactical mods)

- "Just because" - See self defense + Tantal, S&W 460V, .44 Desert Eagle

- For carry, one of my .45 1911s, XD-40, Glock 27, on occasions the .44 Desert Eagle

- For shooting skills development, any of them. They all have their quirks.

- For ultimate fun plinking: AK with drum

- For home defense and range/target fun: Tantal, AK, AR, plus any pistol I have.

- For history, home defense and "just because" - 1911, AK

No where to do hunting around here. Too many scared lil grannies thinking there should be laws against everything including if you can put up a cheap ugly looking fence around your yard (I'm not making that part up either. One of them goes around criticizing everybody property/house/whatever.)

hemiguy
January 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
HOLY CRAP!

THAT MPA defender is sweet!

Is that full auto or semi auto?

An M1 carbine might be cool...
I don;t have a budget I would say that $800 is my max.. my wife would kill me so for reasonalbe sake lets go with $600...

a lot of rifels are out from that price range though.. a lot of my friends would rather waste their $$$ on a AK-47 vs a AR-15....

There are are a few brands in a AR-15, what is the best brand as far as reliablity, service, field strip you know the basic little things that really make a gun worth the extra $$ or sanity of buying?

I don't really want a "fun gun" but rather to build my collection, I don;t have a specific purpose b/c in Nevada I can also open carry... and I am a bigger guy still so conceal carry is still hard either way... I have weight limits.. but I already have 2 handguns.. so a sub, or rifle or something like a nice S&W nightguard revolver...

Turbocharged
January 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
- For carry, one of my .45 1911s, XD-40, Glock 27, on occasions the .44 Desert Eagle

You carry your .44 Desert Eagle?

I carried my .50 Desert Eagle ONCE....then I realized that 4.5lbs of steel and the shear size of the thing was way to much to conceal for my 6'3" 175lb build. Props to you, if you can pull it off.

On topic...I would highly recommend a H&K P7. They are fun to shoot and unique as hell. Definite must for any collection in my opinion.

omahahaha
January 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
you can get a tokarev and a cz-82 for $600. that is what I am doing right now.

tok
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IQ-lmrkyaylXjM:http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/images/rtt33.jpg&t=1

danber9546
January 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'd go with an XDM 9mm 3.8, a Kimber Ultra CrimsonCarry .45, and an LCR in .357! Then, I'd look at getting a S&W AR-15 with all the bells and whistles!:rolleyes:

Ben
January 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
Im a little over 33 (400 mos to be exact) so maybe I will go ahead and pick up that Glock 40 I've been eyeing. These are the sorts of justifications we use. Lol

Ben

OJ
January 17, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm a very lucky guy - my wife is actually grateful if I find a gun I want and she can buy it for me for my birthday - saves her the problems of trying to figure out what to get me and do the shopping - By the time you've been married over 30 years, you run out of ideas - plus, at this age, we have most everything we could want.

These are examples -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/PISTOLS/IMG_2401.jpg

Series 70 Colt's Government Model 45 ACPs

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

Winchester 95 in 30-06

Works both ways -

FoxtrotRomeo
January 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
You carry your .44 Desert Eagle?

Yes I do. I like the 180 grain rounds. Not trying to take down a Grizzly so 180 grain will do just fine.

I carried my .50 Desert Eagle ONCE....then I realized that 4.5lbs of steel and the shear size of the thing was way to much to conceal for my 6'3" 175lb build. Props to you, if you can pull it off.

I'm 6'0 tall and built like a tank. lol I carry it in a chest rig (easiest way to carry the monster without your pants falling down) AND there is a way to do it without broadcasting to the world you have a monstrous hog leg under your arm and not wear yourself out at the same time.

The guys that taught me to shoot were/are military snipers. There's a way to do it. :)

old jeff
January 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
Why not go for the gusto?

Get the best of the best and be the envy of everyone at the range.

Classics...

There are three examples that most collectors regard as the "Triple Crown" of primitive German autos the Borchardt design of 1893, the Mauser C96 Broomhandle and the Bergmann M1910.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/bergmann-bayard-m191021#ixzz1BLGjVwEg