PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a trade...Jericho 941 .40 for my Sig P239

Turbocharged
January 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
I have been wanting a Jericho 941/Baby Eagle for some time now. 9mm is pretty common, but I really would prefer a .40 S&W. Long story short...I found a Jericho 941 full size in .40 S&W in excellent condition today at a gun show and was thinking I might go back tomorrow to offer up my Sig P239 for trade. He is asking $495.

It's a first gen P239 (9mm) in DA/SA with standard sights that is in very good condition. It has a few little scratches and what not, but still very good. From what I can gather, they seem to be about the same value.

Any thoughts?

Cheapshooter
January 16, 2011, 12:31 AM
Read my sig. and buy the Jericho!!!

Delaware_Dan
January 16, 2011, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't make the trade. I prefer Sig any day.

_W_
January 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
I have a compact Baby Eagle .40. Awesome gun.The only problem is last I've heard Magnum Research dropped it, then it got picked up by Charles Daly. Charles Daly went bankrupt and now nobody provides support for factory parts/service etc. So I considered selling it for some time but held back only because it is a nice gun otherwise...also my first gun. It does however spend alot of time in the safe. I don't have a real uses for it other that shooting it at the range, too heavy for carry purposes.

Rugerismisticness
January 16, 2011, 06:38 AM
Why not take the CZ route? That seems to work purty good and be well proven to work. I also think that unless you have another similar sized gun to the P239 (perhapes this is your carry gun), you should trade for a similar sized gun. I personally have "classes" where if I were to trade one gun, I would have to replace it with something more capable with similar size and main functionality. Is this just going to be a range gun? In that case, 1911s are made in the .40S&W too;) (Joking, just to start something this morning:p). I like the 941, but it is heavy for a lot of tasks and the trigger wasn't very good.

chasesparks
January 16, 2011, 06:48 AM
the jerico is a slightly better looking gun.. but you need to keep the sig... it is the definate better gun.

Kreyzhorse
January 16, 2011, 07:04 AM
Ummmmmmm, no. I wouldn't make that trade.

sailskidrive
January 16, 2011, 08:55 AM
I have a Desert Eagle marked Jericho in .40 and it is pretty much a safe queen. The trigger on it is amazing and it is very accurate with its internal slides and polygonal barrel. How ever, keep in mind this is a very heavy handgun made from solid parkerized steel designed for use by the IDF. The Isaelis don't exactly have a humidity problem but here on the east coast I need to make sure I spray down lightly with oil on the bolt face and mag well after cleaning or a light surface rust will appear. Also the only magazines that work properly in it are the factory oem mags and there is no current source for new oem mags. I bought a few built by MagPro and all of them have feeding issues. The Jericho is basically a modified CZ75, if you want something to shoot every weekend or carry I would get the CZ instead.

Like I said mine is a safe queen.

Turbocharged
January 16, 2011, 09:00 AM
Cheapshooter: I would love to, but at this point it is either trade or don't get the Jericho at all.

Rugerismisticness: I prefer the look of the Jericho to the CZ-75...that is about the only reason that I like it more. Also, my carry gun is a HK P7 PSP, which I love and am very comfortable with. If I were to get a 1911 it would be in 10mm...always wanted a 10mm Gov't Model 1911 :).

I guess the main reason I am considering this trade (because I generally agree with Cheapshooter's signiture) is because I never shoot the P239 and actually don't much care for it. It was my fathers, but since he hasn't shot in years, he gave it to me because my girlfriend might enjoy shooting it. Long story short, she doesn't like it much either. However, there is no doubt that it is a fine pistol.

I also heard about MR not importing the baby eagle anymore, but then came across this at their website (http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse.asp?Category=Baby+Eagle+II:Pistols). It seems that they plan on reimporting it this year.

bigwrench
January 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
I myself picked up a 941 in .40 a few weeks ago, as I wanted a non poly .40 and was not interested in 1911 platform. Found one at local pawn shop and talked the guy down and ended up getting it for $400.00 OTD. Took the gun home, disasembled it and it was verry clean and I'm not shure it had even been fired. Well this thing is one heck of a shooter. Verry acurate, soaks up recoil, and flawless function. After a couple range sesions with it I've decided to pick one up in .45 also-if I can find one. I did a few searches on the WWW and did find that I.W.I. and Khar have partnered up and will again import these pistols to the US sometime this year. That is where the Baby Eagle II comes from, they wanted to make shure that the latest import was not to be confused with the poly Baby Eagle wich no one seems to care for. I also came across a place for replacement mags, and another for grip panels. I'll post links later if your still interested.

Cheapshooter
January 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE]Cheapshooter: I would love to, but at this point it is either trade or don't get the Jericho at all.[/QUOTE

I feel your pain!]

Turbocharged
January 16, 2011, 03:13 PM
Ends up, wasn't meant to be. I showed up with my P239 and I found out the pistol was a new (post Magnum Research) model. The reason I thought it was used and price would be negotiable is because it had some scratches on it...scratches that the dealer didn't seem to concerned about for a "new" firearm. It just wasn't the trade that I had dreamed up last night.

I would still like to get one at some point...or maybe even the CZ-75B in .40 S&W and 2-tone. Looks beautiful if you ask me.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/21/21612.jpg

Can't tell which I like better....that or the awesome utility look of the Jericho/Baby Eagle. Plus the Baby Eagle would compliment my black .50AE Desert Eagle nicely. Not worried about the performance of either...I know they are both great guns.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/49/49149.jpg

bigwrench: That would be helpful...post them up.

dondavis3
January 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't trade.

Sig are special guns IMHO

Someone mentioned the CZ 75B

I carry this one or a Sig daily.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/CZ75Compact.jpg

But I encourage you to buy the one you want.

:cool:

bigwrench
January 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
Here is the link to hogue fro the grip panels, and I will have to do some pokin around on my computer here and see if I can find the sight for the mags.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=13&sort=20a&page=2

Turbocharged
January 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks...this setup looks pretty awesome to me...

http://www.hoguestore.com/images/products/76171L.jpg

NJgunowner
January 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
As already mentioned, parts are scarce on the Jerico's. After market is almost non existent. Until that changes, I wouldn't buy one.

Incognito
January 18, 2011, 02:45 AM
The only problem is last I've heard Magnum Research dropped it, then it got picked up by Charles Daly. Charles Daly went bankrupt and now nobody provides support for factory parts/service etc.
The best you can do is find parts interchangeable with the EAA Witness (it's the same gun).

Tanfoglio of Italy makes the Jericho, Baby Eagle, and the EAA Witness (link (http://www.tanfoglio.it/)).

serf 'rett
January 18, 2011, 07:33 PM
Got a Baby Eagle, 40S&W, a couple of years ago and really enjoy shooting it. Carry a Kahr P9, but at home my go to handgun is the Baby. The Baby Eagle simply outshoots my 9mm's - Kahr and XDm. Good DA/SA trigger, tighter groups. Have even used the Baby for a few IDPA shoots for fun of shooting it in competition.

I was on new gun probation a few months ago when I saw a Baby Eagle 9mm for $429.00 (new!). Still kicking myself for not selling off a shotgun, the cat, a kid or something ... to get 9mm version.

_W_
January 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
The best you can do is find parts interchangeable with the EAA Witness (it's the same gun).

Tanfoglio of Italy makes the Jericho, Baby Eagle, and the EAA Witness (link).

Scratch that altogether. I was browsing some random site's gun stuff, and saw a banner at the top..."Magnum Research - Back by Popular Demand" and a pic of the Baby Eagle. Clicked the link, and there it was, Magnum Research now carries the IWI Baby Eagle.

Speak of the devil eh? :)

Incognito
January 19, 2011, 01:38 AM
PEARL RIVER, NY – Kahr Arms and Magnum Research are proud to announce that they will be reintroducing the popular Baby Desert Eagle handguns for 2011.

Magnum Research, Inc. imported the Baby Desert Eagle model handguns, also called the Jericho, from IWI in Israel for 22 years. Then, three years ago, MRI stopped selling the popular handgun, and consumer demand for it has grown ever since.

Kahr Arms will reintroduce the Baby Desert Eagle models to U.S. markets in the first quarter of 2011 at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Baby Desert Eagle II handguns will be available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, with steel or polymer frames in black only. The full size and semi-compact models will include a tactical rail—resulting in a total of 19 model variations.

Pricing for the Baby Desert Eagle II series ranges from $616 for the polymer frame models to $630 for steel frame models.

Orders will begin shipping in early Spring 2011
Interesting... that's good information to know.

FALPhil
January 19, 2011, 05:37 AM
A lot of Sig cool aid in this thread.

Chances are, you will shoot the Jericho a lot better since the axis of bore is lower in the hand. Follow up shots tend to be faster, too. The Jericho just has a better human factors design, since it is based on the CZ75. I'd jump on it.

Turbocharged
January 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
What is the partnership with Kahr about? They will still be made by IWI in Israel right?

Turbocharged
January 20, 2011, 02:18 PM
??? Really curious about this.

Incognito: Where did you get the quote?

EDIT: Ahhh nevermind...I see that Kahr has purchased Magnum Research.

http://www.kahr.com/kahr-news.asp

Not sure if thats a good thing or not.