PDA

View Full Version : Found a ODI Viking Combat, should i buy it?

MYSTERT85
January 5, 2011, 09:01 PM
i walked into my local shop yesterday and i saw a deal that i don't think i can pass up. A ODI Viking Combat SS, 9 mags & 4 holsters for $575. i have done a little research but i am disappointed by how little info there is out there. i tried the da trigger pull and it is no where near the dreaded 16lb that i have seen its light and crisp. it has night sights. the backstrap safety does not work. well please give me all the info and advice you can....

DiCarnage
January 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
Did a quick Google search, and came up with a post from this forum, back in Jan 2008:

"ODI, which was based in Midland Park, New Jersey, began manufacturing stainless .45 autos with the Seecamp conversion installed sometime in the early '80's. SWAT magazine did an evaluation of the gun back in '83. While they were impressed with it's functionality and durability, they had reservations about the 19 lb. DA/12 lb. SA trigger pulls. Overall, they considered it to be a satisfactory weapon, with some improvements needed to the trigger and the sights."

MYSTERT85
January 5, 2011, 09:17 PM
thanks i saw that too. but the da trigger pull feels lighter than my taurus pt92 and i know that is no where near 19lbs.

johnbt
January 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
I just did some googling and there appear to be some stray slides floating around.

Cheaper Than Dirt did sell ODI Viking frame kits when the company folded.

I don't know enough about the guns to tell what an original factory-built one would look like compared to a gunsmith assembled one or a kitchen-table built gun.

JT

crazy charlie
January 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
Disabling the backstrap safety may account for the improved trigger pull. I don't know anything about that particular pistol, but a disabled backstrap safety could mean a broken part or someone fooled with it. I'd be very cautious.

WC145
January 6, 2011, 12:52 PM
The first 1911 I bought back in the early 80's was an ODI Viking Combat, it was a pretty interesting gun and worked well enough, lord knows what I traded it away on. I recently traded for another one to add to my eclectic collection of 1911's (and because you never forget your first girl;)). It works great, the DA trigger is smooth but probably 15lbs or so, single action is decent, about 5lbs. Except for the heavy pull, the Seecamp double action itself works well enough and allows you to carry it hammer down for a DA first or shot or cocked & locked. It's a good shooter, functions fine with ball and Remington JHPs. I replaced the sights with a set of 3 dots because the original front sight was bent. It's not a gun I'll carry or shoot much, I bought it just to have it, but I'd trust it for carry if I had to.

For $575 I'd say it's a decent deal especially with the stuff hat it comes with, though I'd try to talk them down. It's a niche gun with pretty limited appeal, plus you're going to have to have the grip safety sorted out (I would, anyway) so you might have some leverage there.

If you buy it and figure out what was done to lighten the trigger please let me know, the trigger pull is really the one thing that takes away from the gun.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/TRX9FXjnMAI/AAAAAAAACo0/bpUCROTe8u0/SDC11326.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/TRX9EtGsTZI/AAAAAAAACow/e7y_81Gjj1M/SDC11325.JPG

MYSTERT85
January 6, 2011, 01:06 PM
if i get it, i plan on using it as a daily carry. the nightsights look sharp on it. whats the worst case scenario with the back strap safety being disabled? i used to carry a feg 9hp cocked and locked so i am use to not having that extra safety. but i have been spoiled by my Colt Delta. i am just looking for something smaller...and i really like this gun for some reason.

WC145
January 6, 2011, 01:16 PM
My concern would be that the grip safety is broken. Also, if it was disabled, who did it, how'd they do it, and why? Either way the potential for problems is there.

MYSTERT85
January 6, 2011, 01:24 PM
the shop has a in house gunsmith. i will ask to have it looked at before i put any money down.

RickB
January 6, 2011, 01:34 PM
I built a pistol on an ODI frame, when Gun Parts/Numrich was selling "frame kits" about fifteen years ago. The ad said, "the last 100 frames", and my comment at the time was, "Looks more like one of the first", based on the poor overall quality. The few complete pistols that I've seen at gunshows and on the 'net also look poorly build and finished, but they could have also been "kit guns" rather than complete ODI pistols. I never really stopped fiddling with the DA trigger on my gun, switching mainsprings to try to lighten the pull weight without compromising reliability, and altering the geometry of drawbar interaction with the hammer, to try to make the pull longer, as the release was very abrupt. The Viking is an unusual gun that isn't often seen, but if I wanted a DA .45 I'd probably get a SIG 220 or Colt Double Eagle, and if I want a 1911, I'd get one of those. "Pinning" the grip safety is a pretty common modification on 1911s, but as noted above, there are ways of doing it that are easily reversed, and ways that are destructive. The Viking does use a standard 1911 grip safety, so if the part has been altered or damaged it can be easily replaced. I put an Ed Brown beavertail on my gun.

MYSTERT85
January 6, 2011, 04:20 PM
hey there WC145, can you tell me more about the gun? you seem to be the only on on here that owns one. how many rounds have you fed through it? any feeding ejection or stovepipe issues? stuff like that...i really think i will pick up this gun and i want to know what im getting into.

johnj928
January 8, 2011, 12:11 AM
I purchased a ODI Viking Combat 45 Auto at a gun show a few years ago ,pure stock .I do not fing the trigger too tight & the sights are right on .

WC145
January 8, 2011, 08:14 AM
I've only had this one for a few months and haven't shot it much, maybe 150rds of 230gr ball and Remington green box 230gr JHP. No failures of any kind, shoots to point of aim. Except for the DA trigger the gun handles as you would expect - like every other Commander size 1911. The one I had originally got a lot more use and I can't recall ever having problems with it. If it didn't work right I'm sure I would have remembered (and not bought this one). Basically it's a solid, decently built 1911 that happens to have the Seecamp DA system. I'd say that if you keep it clean and properly lubed, use quality mags, and give it a thorough wringing out before you start carrying it you should be fine.

You know, they're pretty rare. I've read that only a couple of hundred were actually made by the factory. I think more commander size than full size, I've only ever seen a couple of them. Most people have never seen or heard of them. It will get you some attention at the range, sort of a functional conversation piece, I'm sure you'll be the only kid on your block that has one.

MYSTERT85
January 8, 2011, 09:00 AM
the store owner said he would have a gunsmith check out the issue with the backstrap safety. i think i am going to get it...i have been looking for a commander style 1911 and i am do like the exotic/rare guns. and with all the holsters and mags i think it is a really good deal. the guns previous owner claims to have carried it for 20 years and he wants to get something smaller and lighter now. its my first 45, i have shot plenty of them and i own a 10mm delta so i should be use to everything.

WC145
January 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
Make sure you post some pics and a range report!!!!!

pogo2
January 8, 2011, 03:01 PM
I bought an ODI Viking about 12 years ago in a Gunbroker auction, and I still have it. I had no particular use for it and bought it on a whim for $400, as I recall. I modified it a little with a Wilson beavertail and some new sights, and had the slide polished. It has a very heavy DA trigger but the SA trigger is reasonable with a little creep in it. I have shot it on occasion and it feeds FMJ ammo fine, but doesn't like hollowpointns. It is not particularly accurate as 1911s go.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ODIViking25.jpg

Sulaco2
January 9, 2011, 01:25 AM
I had one of the early ODI .45s some time ago, felt it was so/so and traded it off about 6 years ago. Shot ok but as noted above the trigger pull was a downer. Got a Para LDA same size and weight and am much happier (for now:rolleyes:)

MYSTERT85
January 11, 2011, 08:28 PM
well i am going to get it. i just have to wait untill payday (first of the month) the owner said he would hold it for me.

so will any 1911 part go in it? i hate the hammer, it does not give me a good grip and i think a spur hammer would look really good.

RickB
January 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
The hammer has a pin that protrudes on the right side to interact with the trigger drawbar; you can't use a standard hammer without adding the pin. I drilled a hole in a standard hammer and pressed a piece of drillrod into it with a vise. It works OK. Most all of the other small parts, other than those associated with the DA trigger, are standard "1911" parts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/se459.jpg

MYSTERT85
January 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
thanks. i think i will just leave the hammer as is for now.

do any of you that own this gun use it as a daily or constant carry?

fiftiate
January 19, 2011, 04:33 AM
I have one of the very, very few ODI Viking/Detonics/ASAI Combat .45 pistols. Purchased new in 1987. I have the ODI pouch and the instruction manual that came with it. Haven't fired it in 20+ years.

MYSTERT85
January 31, 2011, 10:56 PM
okay well today i picked up the ODI viking. and so far i have had good and bad results.

the good: the gun is damn sexy. its is as accurate as my Colt Delta Elite.

the bad: the only ammo i had on hand is 230gr LRN and the viking hates it. i had 5 failure to feed out of the first 18 rounds. i will be picking up a box of FMJ tomorrow to try.

RickB
January 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't expect bullet material to make any difference, but do report your results.

MYSTERT85
February 1, 2011, 07:45 AM
on the failure to feeds i checked the rounds and the top of the soft led bullets were chunked. if i had a camera i would take a pic. im hoping that a hard fmj would feed better. if not i might have to get a flute and polish job.

RickB
February 1, 2011, 12:28 PM
The bullet shouldn't be hitting anything sharp on its way into the chamber, so even if the FMJs are able to get past whatever it is, I'd expect failures, even if not as often.

WC145
February 1, 2011, 06:27 PM
If the bullets are soft lead it doesn't surprise me that you're having problems. The gun is made for jacketd bullets, they won't dig in when chambering. Mine feeds ball and Remington green box JHP just fine, the one I had in 1984 worked fine with ball as well.

MYSTERT85
February 7, 2011, 12:17 AM
just wanted to give everyone a update. i ended up getting 6 new mags at the local gunshow and a few boxes of fmj. everything is working perfectly. not one jam or failure to feed. plus the owner of the gunshop i got it from seemed so unhappy with my complaints that he offered a throat and polish job for free. i do have a galco shoulder rig (horizontal) and a italian made hip holster for sale if anyone is interested. message me for pics.

profkirby
May 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
I stumbled on this post and it brought back memories.
I bought one new back in the 80's (It cost $550.00 as I recall) and built it as a custom gun.
Just to note; they came with (at least mine did) with the grip safety pinned). It is double action and the grip safety is not needed if you're carrying with the hammer down.
I put about 400 of 1980's dollars in parts in it and 40 hours of a very talented pistolsmith's time and maybe another 20 hours or so of my own on it. I still have a copy of the work done on it because it was stolen and I had to list it all for the insurance company.
I hope I don't bore anyone, but I'll list what was done to it. (Feel free to skip ahead)

Frame and slide mirror polished. 40 lpi serrations on the slide top. Low mount Millet sights, Slide tightened, Commander hammer was lightened, Colt: firing pin, sear, disconnecter, and sear spring. I modified a spring to lighten the D/A trigger return. After polishing the daylights out of all the Seecamp conversion parts, the pistolsmith made a skeletonized adjustable delrin trigger. We ended up with a 3.5 lb single action trigger and a very smooth 10 lb D/A pull.
The port was lowered and beveled, the rear of the slide checkered 50lpi and the front strap checkered 20 lpi (it came with serrations on the strap and they were turned into checkering).
He fitted a BarSto barrel and bushing, throated it to match the frame, did a 17 degree polished crown, installed a Detonics triple recoil spring kit and hard chromed the recoil spring plug. Added a Safari Arms (remember them?) extended safety, a Pachmayr extended slide release and flat neoprene mainspring housing. I purchased a couple of Randall magazines (the factory mag was problematic).
When it was finished it was dead reliable (it would feed an empty case) and decently accurate. I carried it daily until I went to a New Years Eve party one year and knew I'd be drinking so I left it home and it was stolen that night along with a Charter Arms Bulldog (Magnaport Arms 'Back Packer' conversion) and too many other irreplaceable things.
Thanks for letting me go back to memory lane.
My main squeeze today is a Les Baer Stinger (Carbon slide, stainless frame, Bomar style night sights.)