PDA

View Full Version : take-down Winchester kinda loose....

Pathfinder45
January 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1929 vintage 30-30 Winchester take-down lever-gun,( model 55). But the barrel-receiver joint is somewhat loose. How should this be fixed? I want to know what my options are before I make a deal. All advice will be appreciated...... Pathfinder

Scorch
January 5, 2011, 02:51 AM
Call John Taylor at Taylor Machine. He specializes in old Winchesters.
253-445-4073

dahermit
January 5, 2011, 07:31 AM
A small cape chisel can be used to carefully peen the interrupted threads forward...it you have the skill to do it.

Pathfinder45
January 5, 2011, 06:54 PM
Or, perhaps I could use my MIG welder to spot-braze a few dots of fairly-hard phosphor-bronze alloy that could then be carefully filed and fitted to a tight lock-up? It wouldn't heat the surrounding metal very much; nothing like a torch would. Has anyone here dealt with this kind of problem before?

Ideal Tool
January 5, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hello, Pathfinder45. It has been a long long time since I read up on the Win. takedowns...but by any chance, are there three slotted head screws fitted flush on the barrel section, as seen when both halves are apart?

hickstick_10
January 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
as Ideal tool says, there is a way to tighten up the joint on a take-down winchester. There is eather a bushing of screw(s) which can be turned to tighten up the joint.

Pathfinder45
January 7, 2011, 03:54 PM
Did I inspire this?: Please don't try out your new-found gunsmithing skills with a dremil tool..(the new bridgeport ?) , a cape chisel, or a mig welder on an honest to good antique Winchester or double shotgun! If so, the point is well taken. I'm still looking for clear solutions, though. A vintage Winchester tends to out-live several owners if one of them doesn't do something foolish to it. Therefore you will only own your guns for a little while. We should try to leave them to the next generation in a worthy manner. I am good with tools but am not a gunsmith so I look to others that have gone before me for advice before I, "fix", something the wrong way. Hopefully we can keep this thread going long enough for me to get all the information I need. Thanks y'all.