PDA

View Full Version : Loving my 1858

ak-kev
January 1, 2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, Im really loving this thing. I shot another 75rds today and it all went perfect. Just as it should have. The lubed wads I made from the info on this site worked perfect as well. Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys how much fun I had. The smoke and boom were just great. Great site, great gun, great fun. Thanks all. Kevin.

sewerman
January 2, 2011, 12:39 PM
you bet!

my buddy & I ordered a set each for christmas.

we have been impressed by them.

they will easliy hit a clay skeet disc at 20yds.

they look good too!

our load is 20g FFFG .451 ball. the 15 g load shot low.
will be trying a .454 ball soon some folks say this ball shoots better.
enjoy!

S.M.

ak-kev
January 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'm using .454 balls that I cast myself. CCI #10 caps and Goex FFFG powder. I tried 25grs, and 30grs. Both shot fantastic! I then started chrono'ing the loads. Im already thinking of what will be my next one:D

Fiv3
January 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
As a newbie to BP, I too really have gleaned a lot from these fine folks over the last 7 or months. My main BP shooter is an 1858, and I adore the thing. There is something so satisfying about loading up 6 careful shots, capping them, and watching a 2+ pound hog leg belch fire and smoke without breaking your wrist. The gravy is seeing a nice even .454 hole punched pretty much where you wanted it to go. On top of all that, it only cost you pennies to shoot:D

My wonderful wife bought me both a ball caster and some pure lead for Christmas this year...she also went ahead and picked me up another 100 balls so I could still shoot a bit while I figure out exactly how to cast these things. I can't find .454 balls locally short of going to Gander Mountain, and they price simple swagged lead balls like they were high tech copper jacketed hollow points:rolleyes: And paying shipping on a box of ammo is just silly. I'll start casting in the spring I believe;)

Now my next decision, do I cave and buy an 1860 for my birthday next month, or do I save my pennies for a Walker for Father's Day;)

wogpotter
January 3, 2011, 09:49 AM
If you're using wads in your loads protect the chronograph with something, those wads can do harm at 10'!:eek: