PDA

View Full Version : Need education on a AK-74 Pattern

M4Sherman
December 30, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have decided I want a AK-74 as my next rifle and I know nothing about them soooo. can anyone educate me on the current manufacturers,quality,price ect?

candr44
December 30, 2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know much about current manufacturers, quality, or price since I built my own AK74 but I do know some have been recalled. If I remember right, it was the Lancaster built ones.

essohbe
December 30, 2010, 11:37 PM
Don't buy Lancaster...
Try not to buy a CAI Tantal...
The Bulgy 5.45's are "okay" but aren't the best quality for the price...
Get a Russian 5.45 Saiga.

:D

raftman
December 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
Any AK-74 you're going to find is going to be a mix of foreign and US-made parts (for legal reasons), what varies is who does the assembly, what kind of parts do they use, and most importantly, quality control. There's only two that I know much about that.

On the cheapest end of the spectrum we have the AK-74's assembled by Century Arms, these cost between $350 and $450 (approximately) depending on the model. Currently, they put out Bulgarian-style AK-74, as well as Polish, and Romanian. These are assembled from used surplus parts from these countries, and then US-made parts are added for legal reasons. The quality control from Century Arms is spotty. Some rifles are known to have been assembled with the wrong barrel (with a bore diameter made for 5.56 rather than 5.45), this is known to cause keyholing, in particular the Polish Tantal AK-74's are most known for that problem, although I suspect other models may also have been affected. Another issue common to Century Arms guns is a canted front sight, and there are sometimes issues with fit and finish. I do think Century has worked on improving quality control, I've owned two Bulgarian AK-74s that Century assembled, the first one was a very bad gun (keyholed, poor fit and finish, some rust was present, badly bent cleaning rod, although it did shoot reliably), but I eventually replaced it with the 2nd one, which is really very nice, reliable, accurate, definitely a keeper. Century's customer service, by the way, isn't said to be top-notch.

Then you've got the Arsenal assembled AK's, these cost roughly twice of what the Century guns do (again, depending on the model), Arsenal however does a much finer job with quality control and virtually none of the problems that are sometimes seen in Century guns are present in Arsenal guns. For example, their SGL-31 is assembled from new Russian-made Saiga rifles (made at the same factory that originally produced the AK) and new US-made parts. Basically, aside from selective fire capability, these are identical to the current issue rifles used by the Russian military. You spend more, but you do get a better gun.

Another thing you can do is just buy a Saiga 5.45 rifle, these come from Russia brand new, and are in a "sporter" configuration (monte carlo stock, no pistol grip, no muzzle brake, neutered front sight block, comes with only a 10-rd magazine, and some other aesthetic differences). You can either leave it as is, or convert it yourself into a configuration that more closely resembles a military AK-74.

M4Sherman
December 31, 2010, 12:40 PM
So arsenal If I can find a deal. Saiga if I want to convert and bulgy if I want a el-cheapo

essohbe
December 31, 2010, 06:12 PM
...and bulgy if I want a el-cheapo

Or a Romanian also, if you can inspect it first.

tAKticool
December 31, 2010, 06:37 PM
Bulgarian not being "el cheapo" , Romanian being definitely el cheapo and cheapest and bottomest, Bulgarian being basically pretty good and better than all the others except Saigas/Arsenals...

Meditator
January 1, 2011, 01:28 AM
Romanian AK's are not necessary bottom of the barrel- especially the SAR2, WUM2 and CUR2. They have mil-spec parts, except full auto feature. Finish quailty varies greatly,however.

WUM2 and CUR2 came in the mid'90 w/ thumbhole stocks and all original parts: fire control,barrel,etc . CUR2 actually has slanted upward charging handle which is suitable for side folding stock.

SAR2 came later in late '90 to early 2000, but, the different is that the US made trigger,sear, hammer are used to allow usage of pistol grip, (folding) stock, and 30 rds mag.

Some Arsenal Bulgarian AK do suffer from weak finish which can rub off easily, but still functional as design. Saiga is probably the best choice, whether you want to leave it original- using 10 rds mag ( although some people can use 30 rds mil-spec mags), or you can convert it yourself.

pelo801
January 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
when i decided i wanted one, this is the route i took, http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront.
i am glad i did, a new rifle, with my choice of options. and the conversion work took, maybe 2 hrs.

essohbe
January 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
Yea, I got one from Atlantic Firearms.
M4Sherman, if you get a Saiga and convert it get a threaded front sight block because it is worth the work (and isn't really that hard).

5.56RifleGuy
January 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
Why no lancaster arms? I have one and it looks great and works great for me.

M4Sherman
January 1, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well I made a boo-boo I bought a second SKS when I was looking for an AK-74 :o It is a para for 200 bucks I couldn't help myself

Usertag
January 1, 2011, 10:19 PM
The Designer is Mikhail Kalashnikov Made by IMW (Izhevsk Mechanical Works).
And the Caliber is 5.45x39mm. Also it is a Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt. So it is very durable. You can get it in different country forms. Such as (Romanian, Bulgarian, And ECT). And they cost about $500 (American Currensy).

Wrothgar
January 1, 2011, 10:36 PM
I have been keeping my eyes open for 2 years for an Arsenal AK of any kind - never seen one.

M4Sherman
January 3, 2011, 01:16 AM
any idea on one of these http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=10000021&dir=700|701

HorseSoldier
January 3, 2011, 02:46 AM
I have been keeping my eyes open for 2 years for an Arsenal AK of any kind - never seen one.

I've seen them for sale in a couple local gun stores back home in the South, but I do think places that carry them are few and far between. Especially compared to WASR's and such.

essohbe
January 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
J&G has VZ2008 rifles now in stock for $350, if you're interested in that route...

Volucris
January 4, 2011, 06:58 PM
you can get arsenal AKs all day every day from several online dealers most notably k-var.com

Greguw
January 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
Lancasters are not a bad gun , I have 2 of there ak74's both milled one with stainless barrel and one with Chrome lined ... get the chrome lined one .
The cream of the crop would be a VEPR in 5.45x39 ... I know I have one its a great gun .

flight954
January 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
Arsenal SGL31-84 Pricey but well worth it. The closest you'll get to an original Kalashnikov AK74

Greguw
January 5, 2011, 08:27 PM
Or if you can find a slr-105r ... There made in Bulgaria and a fine AK