PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 or Savage model 10 243cal

ole-crabby
December 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Wally world has both of these in stock. Savage about 389.00 remington 449.00 in camo,both have scopes. Which to you guys perfer? Remington has new trigger, savage has accu-trigger. thanks

BIG P
December 30, 2010, 12:17 PM
Both are good rifles I'd get the savage because I want one too.:D

4runnerman
December 30, 2010, 01:12 PM
Savage all the way,Remmys have lost some of there shine latly.QC is not what it used to be

BusGunner007
December 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
Will somebody please post proof of the so-called lack of QC by Remington? :rolleyes:
SHOW ME SOME PICTURES or something.

Show everybody here something to back up that claim.

Geez, I get tired of that old saw...

BTW, I'd pick the Remington 700.

warbirdlover
December 30, 2010, 11:55 PM
I just bought a Remington 700 and it's well made. The new trigger is great and they put Nikon scopes on their package guns.

miykael
December 31, 2010, 01:23 AM
I don't have a picture but I just checked out a R700 tactical at Wholesale Sports (BC) and I couldn't believe that the Hogue stock alignment was off bigtime as it tapered to the front. One side of the barrel had a very visible gap that was considerably larger than the other side. That's not good QC. :confused: I will be owning a R700 Tactical (which I traded for) and will end the debate for myself soon (I became a Savage fan after my 10 FP and the Ruger Laminate Compact that I owne--Ruger trigger not even close to the Accutrigger). Once I spend time with the R700, I will know for sure and will post about it :) All the best with your decision but I think the Accutrigger and Accustock are far better. Btw, the trick to the Accutrigger is not manhandling it.

dawico
December 31, 2010, 01:26 AM
Nothing against Remingtons, but I am a Savage man. Honestly, you can't really go wrong either way depending on where your preference lies.

Bamashooter
December 31, 2010, 01:34 AM
Remington....
I think my next bolt action will be a SPS 30-06. What can I say. Im a loyal fan. :)

4runnerman
December 31, 2010, 06:47 AM
Geez, I get tired of that old saw

Just the factthat you post that is evidence enough, Apperantly you must hear it a lot. I just got a Savage,was going after a Rem myself and was told by (no names) very large sporting good store that same story. He still did say they are good guns,But that yes qc has dropped on all Rem products,BUllets,primers and guns. As far as evidence i guess i can't give you one certain thing such as 3 posts before this one DOES. But the fact that your statement on getting tired of hearing it seems to indicate to me that it must be true. Maybe remmy's are becoming the Taurus's of rifles.

hooligan1
December 31, 2010, 07:02 AM
I like them both, but lately there's been a lot of mixed reviews on this Rem. trigger thing. I would buy the rifle that I liked the best between the two. When I shop for a rifle, the damn thing sets there on the shelf like a dog at the pound, pick me, pick me, so when I leave the store with the new rifle I'm sure I could'nt have made a better pick. picking the right rifle is more about fit for me than just "what Brand" it is, IT HAS TO FIT ME!!;) Whatever you do Ole Crabby,(that's what my kids call me:o) make damn sure its the one!:)

precision_shooter
December 31, 2010, 08:47 AM
Will somebody please post proof of the so-called lack of QC by Remington?
SHOW ME SOME PICTURES or something.

Show everybody here something to back up that claim.

Geez, I get tired of that old saw...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427633&highlight=letter+to+remington

Here is a pretty recent example of their lack of QC...

Savage for me!!!

pabuckslayer08
December 31, 2010, 09:51 AM
Remington for sure, legendary name and service. Savage guns just arnt on the same page of quality. Our Wally Mart has the same guns and if im not mistaken the Savage has a plastic trigger guard and all the metal on them is just cheap coated. The Remington is a solid. The only thing Ill give to Savage is the stock appearence. Remingtons cheaper guns have fairly chintzy stocks but the actions and barrels are great

Mustangpalmer91
December 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
What ever you like more and feels better to yoy I prefer Remington that is just my personal preferance on what I like in a firearm.

4runnerman
December 31, 2010, 10:12 AM
(Remingtons cheaper guns have fairly chintzy stocks but the actions and barrels are great ))

Say what??.. A Savage barrel is far superior to any Remmy made. They are probebly the best barrels with the only execption being a custom barrel.

pabuckslayer08
December 31, 2010, 10:32 AM
Of course, with modifications. As long as its straight and has a true twist you can make it shoot great. No factory barrel will compare to a custom no matter what anyone says but the Remington barrels as far as rifle barrels go are tough to beat on the range. The Savage is a good "hunters" gun dont get me wrong but just not up to spec with the 700 barrels.

TX Hunter
December 31, 2010, 10:42 AM
Both Rifles are good and either would work fine, personally I would get the Savage, I have never liked the crappy safety on the Remington.
JMO

wingman
December 31, 2010, 10:43 AM
Big Savage fan here but in all honesty I've noticed a decline in quality control last three I purchased two were returned for repairs. While out of the box accuracy is super some alignment problems with scope and other small issues.

I think it's pot luck with any brand quality control on many products today is second to getting product out the door, how many customers have the time or will make the effort to return an item for repair.?

My point is buy either it's a coin toss.

jeepman4804
December 31, 2010, 01:06 PM
Remington 700. I have had several over the years, and the new triggers are great. Very easy to adjust, unlike the older triggers that require a bunch of adjustments. I have never had a single problem with any of them. My newest is a 700 XCR in 30.06 and it is a tack driver. It will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with off the shelf 165gr Remington Core-Lok. You have the opportunity to look at the rifle before you buy it, so if you see something you don't like ask to look at another one. I will cycle the bolt, work the safety, dry fire a couple times, check fit/finish, and check for finish defects before I even start paperwork.

I have owned a Savage and while the Accutrigger was nice, I prefer the new Remington Mark X trigger. I could not stand the action, it felt stiff and was not nearly as smooth as my Remington 700 actions.

I suggest a 700, its action has been around a long time. It is a proven weapon, and I much prefer it over a Savage.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/jeepman4804/IMG_3400.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/jeepman4804/IMG_2460.jpg

hooligan1
December 31, 2010, 01:23 PM
Why not try a Weatherby Vanguard? Or the Howa? and as far as Remington being a better rifle than Savage right now, Wrong.....There's problems with the Remington, and there's probably problems with the Savage. So let's take a 399.00 apple and compare it to a 399.00 apple! :rolleyes: I have all three,, They are all very accurate, and no one is COMPLETELY better than the other. There are things I like about all, but in the end they fit me well!!;)

ole-crabby
December 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the information! I will decide and let yall know.

dsnyder
December 31, 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know about the QC slipping on Remington. I have one at this time and have owned about 4 others in the past and have never experienced quality problems with any on of them.

I work with industrial manufacturing and the components that industry uses to produce the little that is still produced in America today. I can tell you, without a doubt, that when quality starts to slip on a product a big reason is because the mfg. is trying to cut cost out of the process in order to maximize profis or more commonly they are trying to PRESERVE profitability. Don't label them greedy or evil for trying to do so either. That is what is often required in order to stay competative or to stay in business. Staying competative means keeping american workers on the job in our factories.
The process is COMSUMER DRIVEN. Every time you or I, as a consumer, decides to buy the cheaper model, just because it's cheaper, we force another mfg. to cut costs, compromise quality, reduce workforce in order to remain competative in the marketplace.
Walk into any national chain store and try to find a product that is made in America. It's hard t do and it is a result of american buying habits!

What's my point?? Demand that American manufacturers produce the world class quaity products that they are capable of producing and then support them. I'm not saying that anyone should overpay for something just because... But put more into your decision than what is the cheapest. :o:o

warbirdlover
January 1, 2011, 02:56 AM
What jeepman4804 said.

TX Hunter
January 1, 2011, 08:59 AM
Your exactly right Sir, I agree with you.
I blame America for being owned by China, If we as a Country had stuck together and supported the American Companies, and boycotted the cheaper foreighn stuff, we would alot more good paying jobs.
We are our own worst enemy.
The kids dont have a chance at making a decent living when they grow up, because everyone keeps buying this foreighn made junk.

twins
January 1, 2011, 09:20 AM
Savage, nice guns, 1 year warranty
Remington, also nice guns, 2 years warranty
Marlin, yep, nice guns also, 2 years warranty
Winchester, another nice gun, no written warranty, no lifetime warranty
Thompson Center, nice guns too, lifetime warranty

All of the current models on the market are easily 2 MOA accuracy with factory ammo so why worry which to get today. For me, which will last in the future and how the company stands behind the product make more sense.

Easy answer for me.

PawPaw
January 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
Chevy and Ford. Lots of aftermarket support for either one. I shoot both Savage and Remington. And Marlin, and Winchester, and Ruger. I've even got a T/C in the locker.

Embrace diversity! But, the choice boils down to individual peccadilloes.