View Full Version : Ruger Scout Rifle

langloisandy
December 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Looks pretty nice!

Andy

W.E.G.
December 29, 2010, 08:17 PM
Magazine looks like it should hold 20 rounds.

If Ruger has imposed another artificial magazine capacity limit on this gun so that a 20-round mag only holds 10 rounds, I would not touch one of those rifles except to throw it in the deepest part of the lake.

zombieslayer
December 29, 2010, 08:24 PM
Wow. I thought my gun buying may be over for a while, but I may NEED one of those!:D

ohen cepel
December 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Wish they made it for all the Hk G3 mags that are now $2 each!

That would be sweet and about as long as what they have hanging out of that pic.

Bamashooter
December 29, 2010, 09:01 PM
I cant understand why they wouldnt make a hi-cap magazine standard. It is a bolt action so a 10rd. mag is kinda hi-cap. Is this a new product from ruger? I havent seen one before. Wish the barrel was just a tad bit longer but...nice.

W.E.G.
December 29, 2010, 09:18 PM
OK.

Here is the 10-shot Accuracy International SINGLE-STACK mag.

Looks somewhat different than the photo on the Ruger web site, and definitely different than the HK-looking diagram, but external proportions are close enough to give the benefit of the doubt.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/trivia/ACC3902__46167_zoom.jpg

tobnpr
December 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
Being discussed everywhere...
Nice looking weapon, but I don't get it.
Why a ten shot mag on a short barrel, bolt action rifle?

If I want a short barrel CQB, I want semi-auto.
If I want target or hunting, I want a longer barrel- and I sure don't need a ten shot mag.

What's the target market for this?

RickE
December 30, 2010, 08:25 PM
It's bolt action, how many rounds do you need? Nice looking rifle, just make it S/A.

tAKticool
December 30, 2010, 09:04 PM
Lotta money for it... basically only gonna be bought by Ruger ppl.

Savage's is better and cheaper.

Typical of Ruger, kinda pointless, a $1,000 forward-mounted-optic rifle , in .308... but doesn't replace a scoped bolt action .308 for precision long range shooting, and doesn't replace a semi auto .308 for a MBR.

EXACTLY LIKE the Mini 30, doesn't replace an AK-47 whatsoever and is way limited by the round to justify the price and stylin they give it. Again would rather have the Savage Scout in 7.62x39 than the mini 30.

Not really trying to flame but Ruger does this alot, even like the SR22 , it ain;t the S&W.

WhitSpurzon
December 30, 2010, 10:20 PM
I like iron sighted bolt rifles and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

I think the capacity is a non issue in a general purpose bolt gun for 99+% of what it needs to do. The 1% of the time it would be nice the advantage is minute vs a mag change of the easier to handle carry 10 round mags. Heck I'd like to see a flush mounted 3 rounder offered for just packing around the ranch.

If the tactical expectation of the user is to throw up a 'wall of lead' to deal with his expected scenario then this is obviously the wrong gun for him. For someone who can't count on resupply, depends on precision fire, needs a bullet with a good reputation on harder targets, in an environment and circumstance where the weapon needs to fire regardless of weather or sufficient lubrication then he might find the Ruger Gunsite Scout suit him just fine.

YMMV

Bamashooter
December 30, 2010, 10:54 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

DoctorXring
December 30, 2010, 11:05 PM

It's definitely yoogly enough. A bit lighter would be nice too.

dxr

p99guy
December 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
its also sound suppressor ready, 5/8x24 muzzle thread....with a YHM Phantom
and subsonic .308win ammo it would sound like an airsoft rifle. Now that is a handy capability in a survival gun.