PDA

View Full Version : Best 1911 for under $1000

Jhedges
December 28, 2010, 05:20 PM
I have been really looking into buying a .45 ACP and i have looked at numerous models including the XD service model, Ruger P345's and now 1911's.

I have always wanted a 1911 but just believed i couldnt afford a good one and i have found one that is in my price range that i love the features of. The Springfield 1911 "Range Officer". Now i love the GI models and have shot numerous but the only thing i dont like is the rear sight is not adjustable. Now on the range officer apparently has the adjustable rear sight which i like but my question is: Are there any other 1911's out there under $1000 that would compare to this particular model or might be better?
Thanks

Spats McGee
December 28, 2010, 05:33 PM
If I may ask, for what purpose? Carry? Range? You may want different things in a carry gun than you will want in a range gun.

The Remington R1 looks nice, and might be worth looking at. The R1 does not have adjustable rear sights, though. Also, STI is supposed to make some pretty nice 1911s. I haven't had the chance to handle any, but I've read lots of good things. It looks like the STI Spartan has adjustable rear sights. Finally, what about used guns? If you don't object to buying used, there's all kinds of good stuff open to you.

HKGuns
December 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
I picked up a Milspec for Christmas.....Have only put 50 or so rounds through it so far but haven't had a failure of any kind in it thus far......It was well under a grand.

Jhedges
December 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
I will Carry and Hunt with it. When deer season is in i will carry it and i will shoot at the range quite a bit. I dont want anything extremely heavy, but it will be an all around gun for hunting and target shooting.

MadHatter1
December 28, 2010, 05:43 PM
If you're looking for a bare bones GI- type 1911, Springfield Armory; in the $600 range.
If you want some bells and whistles, either SA's Loaded or Kimbers Custom II. SA has better customer service and support, but is made overseas and typicaly has a somewhat gritty trigger (in the samples I've used). Kimber seems to have a bit better overall fit and finnish, a very good trigger, and is made in the US. They also have a spotty reputation for customer service after the sale. Both are < $1k.
No personal experiance with the new Remington or any STI, so I'll let others comment on them

Alden
December 28, 2010, 05:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with a Springer, but look at the STI Spartan. It runs about $625 and for the money it's the best 1911 you can get.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

Spats McGee
December 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
Here's a resource guide from GlockTalk: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683

If you scroll down to post #17, you'll find the beginning of a guide written by bac1023. It's a pretty informative read.

FALacy
December 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
STI Spartan vs Springfield Range Officer

Not sure which is better, but you'll do great with either.

zombieslayer
December 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
For the money, that RO looks really sweet.

shanzlik
December 28, 2010, 05:50 PM
Checkout these:
STI Trojan
STI Spartan
Colt Combat Elite

If a 4.15" barrel will work for you, the STI Ranger II is great. I bought two (one in .45 and one 9mm)

In the picture below, the Colt is on top and the pair of Ranger IIs are in the next row. I am admittedly a huge fan of STI but that Colt is a very nice pistol in the sub $1K range.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/1911Collection-1.jpg

TacticalDefense1911
December 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
STI Trojan - 5" government size
STI Ranger - 4.15" commander size
STI Guardian - commander size slide and barrel and officer sized grips

These guns are all right at your $1k mark and are well worth the money. STI guns are extremely well made and are made with high grade components all assembled in the USA. A used Dan Wesson classic bobtail would be just below the $1k mark and is an awesome pistol for the money. Dan Wesson makes some of the nicest non-custom guns available. Also, check out the line of Sig 1911's. They drift away from the orginal design a bit but you get a very reliable 1911 with a lot of great options for not a lot of money considering what all you get.

After that you have base model Kimbers and the Springfield Loaded. I prefer Kimbers as the triggers are far better from the factory and I have found them to be slightly more accurate. The new Springfield Range Officer looks interesting as it is supposedly built to tighter tolerances like the TRP but is very basic to keep the cost down.

mikejonestkd
December 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Colt makes many models that will be under $1000 and will last a lifetime. I just bought a XSE combat elite and it is flawless, absolutely flawless...it has the fit and finish comparable to my Wilson - which cost almost three times as much.

Officer's Match
December 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
The Remington has a cast frame, as does the STI. Colt is a good option. I personally would go with the Range Officer, as I think Springfield's CS is as good as it gets. Also, should you feel the need (want) Springer has a legit and accredited Custom Shop (it built my best 1911, so I'm biased :o)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/Springfield/SAesm5-1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/Springfield/SAesm3-1.jpg

Alden
December 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
Buy the STI Spartan and save the rest for ammo and a range membership. :cool:

Shadi Khalil
December 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
You can never go wrong with S&W or Colt. Both have models in your price range, maybe a bit more but well worth it. whatever you choose, steer clear of the Kimbers.

Leejack
December 28, 2010, 09:28 PM
OM, you never cease to amaze me my friend.

That Springer is stunning!;)

Rugerismisticness
December 28, 2010, 09:29 PM
If you want to spend all your money on .45ACP, than the springfield RO is the very best. I also would look at the Para USA single stack and double stack 745 and 14.45 pistols. I just bought a P18.9 and the accuracy, fit and finish is phenominal. Also, Colt has a few good options, the XSE is excellent and I'm a sucker for the blued and stainless series 70.

stevieboy
December 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
I paid a bit over $800 for my S & W blued Government model. I've put well over 1000 rounds through the gun without a single jam or FTE and it is among the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. I can't imagine a better 1911 in that price range.

B. Lahey
December 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
Colt.

joegator
December 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
Anything with Springfield on the side. I've got the Loaded SS.

Jhedges
December 28, 2010, 10:28 PM
Alright, thanks a lot for all the info guys, after looking at all the models and stuff, i would love a custom but i think the Range officer would be the best bet, if i have to go cheaper i will most likely go with the GI model but for now the Range Officer will most likely be it.
The retail on the RO is about $800 correct?

TacticalDefense1911
December 28, 2010, 11:07 PM
The Remington has a cast frame, as does the STI

The Spartan has a cast frame. Other STI guns have a forged frame.

TacticalDefense1911
December 28, 2010, 11:08 PM
The retail on the RO is about $800 correct?

I think that it is more like $650-$700.

The Real Wyatt
December 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
Officer's Match ...

Damn that thang is purdy.

I also love that you show it cocked and locked, just as any 1911 should be.
I'm thinkin' I need me another 1911.

Oldawg
December 29, 2010, 02:21 AM
All right, if nobody else is going to mention it I guess I'll have to. I think the Taurus PT 1911 is a great buy for the money and will compare favorably with most 1911s costing two or three times as much.
It has a forged steel frame, slide and barrel along with many custom features right out of the box.
Nice trigger, better accuracy than I'm capable of and the price is around $600.
I haven't put hundreds of rounds thru mine yet, but so far I'm quite happy with it!

810wmb
December 29, 2010, 08:41 AM
I paid a bit over $800 for my S & W blued Government model. I've put well over 1000 rounds through the gun without a single jam or FTE and it is among the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. I can't imagine a better 1911 in that price range.

HOLY CRAP DUDE!

first you beat me to the punch on all the cz threads with "cz 75b sa is great" all i can say is "me too"

now today, i rush up in here to throw out how well my S&W 108285 performs, i run across the above....

all i can say - you really have excellent taste in firearms!

:D

Kreyzhorse
December 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hard to beat a Springfield. They offer several models in your price range and their customer service is second to none.

Motorcopm4
December 30, 2010, 05:40 AM
2nd here, Springfield is a great gun and their customer service is great

WC145
December 30, 2010, 06:26 AM
Buy a S&W, they're boringly reliable out of the box and excellent shooters.

stevieboy
December 30, 2010, 10:22 AM
810mwb, I think we may have been separated at birth because my Smith is also a 108285. Or, maybe, it's just that we both have excellent taste in firearms:D

TGDKY
December 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
Go springfield- I got a great deal on a gi ww2 remake and I love it.

38 Super Fan
December 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
IMHO STIs Trojan is the best 1911 available in the $1000 or less category. :)

varoadking
December 30, 2010, 01:21 PM
Colt.

BillDish
December 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have a mill spec Springfield and a colt 1911 1918. They both are excellant shooters and I have not had a problem with either. The Colt is visually more appealing. Both are under $900.00

Edsal17
December 30, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm going to have to have to go with Springfield on this one. The Loaded comes with good features, thier customer service is top notch and thier Custom Shop is nothing to sneeze at. Plus if you do decided to customize through the Springfield Custom Shop it does not void your warranty.

G. Freeman
December 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
You can't go wrong with the Range Officer or any Springfield with an NM serial#.

That'll Do
December 30, 2010, 05:37 PM
I just purchased a Range Officer from SA, and I have to say that I'm very impressed at the build quality. The slide to frame fit it nice and tight, same with the barrel and bushing. The trigger is crisp, and of course, there's the excellent SA customer service, although you probably won't need it.

I also have a Kimber Stainless Target II, and it has also been a wonderful gun, so it's hard for me to recommend a definite winner (because I don't think there is one), but I can safely say that you'll be buying a quality gun whether you choose Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, or STI.

FM12
December 31, 2010, 04:08 PM
S&W sku 108284 everything u need, nothing u dont. Stainless to boot!

KyJim
January 1, 2011, 12:34 PM
The best "value" 1911 out there is the STI Spartan. Yes, it has a cast frame. So what? It has a forged slide and barrel. The parkerized finish is nothing great and there's tool marks on the inside. So what? It is fit amazingly well for a pistol in this price range. It has an excellent trigger out of the box. The adjustable rear sight should appeal to a hunter. Most importantly, the pistol is very reliable and dead nuts accurate. Street price of under $650.

For a bit more money and better finish, look at the STI Trojan (no personal experience here).

Not disparaging any other maker as I also own other brands.

Wanabebiker
January 1, 2011, 01:50 PM
SW1911 in Stainless. Got mine for $800 a couple of years back. I also have a SW1911 PD Gun Sight edition, I picked up used for a little over $700.

I have owned a Kimber Ultra II. Great looking gun but to many feed and eject issues. Traded it for the Commander size SW-PD.

SW1911 Stainless
SW1911PD Gun Sight
Glock 21, 23, 19
Walther P99 (9mm) My favorite.
S&W 442
FEG Mark II .380 (PPK)

skoro
January 1, 2011, 02:57 PM
I like 1911s and own four. If I were looking to buy a new one and keep it under $1000, I'd get a Colt Series 70 government model. Of the 1911s I've owned and friends' that I've fired, the Colts have been my favorites.

Wildalaska
January 1, 2011, 03:09 PM
Colt.

Best parts, lowest MIM Count, best fit and finish, best customer service, highest resale value, best long term investment.

Plus its a Colt.:p

WildheadfilledwithchampagnebubblesAlaska ™©2002-2011

HKGuns
January 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
Springers sure are sweet looking........

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v7/p194179743-5.jpg

shafter
January 1, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have an Auto Ordinance 1911A1 that I really like. It was just under $400 but its definately not even close to being the best one on the market in your price range.

It is nostalgic and satisfied the 1911 urge though!

rsxr22
January 1, 2011, 08:58 PM
KYJIM got it!

There is nothing special about the RO at all. It has a bad trigger like the MS' and Loaded's, the extractor does not sit flush which is an example of bad attention to detail while fitting, and the finish is weak. I had high hopes for this gun being that i am a fan of Springer's higher line models, but was let down.

The Spartan is a much better buy for the money.

varoadking
January 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
Colt.

Best parts, lowest MIM Count, best fit and finish, best customer service, highest resale value, best long term investment.

Plus its a Colt.

WildheadfilledwithchampagnebubblesAlaska ™©2002-2011

Ya think anyone ever listens to us, dood?

5.56RifleGuy
January 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
Colt xse series are really nice guns for the money.

WVsig
January 1, 2011, 09:40 PM

He does not need encouragement!!!! LOL

Before DW got rid of the CBOB and the other sub $1000 pistols I would have also put them on the list. With those gone I would also give the nod to Colt. One of these is on the 2011 list.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Weapons/ColtCombatElite.jpg

mikejonestkd
January 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
My Colt Combat Elite is the same as the one pictured above by VWSig, except I just put colt black grip panels and wilson hex head screws on it. 2000+ rounds in less than 2 months and it is getting better everyday.

Colt....my first, second and third choice for a 1911 under $1000.

38 Super Fan
January 2, 2011, 12:05 AM
Springers sure are sweet looking........

There's something a little off about that pic. ;)

WVsig
January 2, 2011, 12:10 AM
There's something a little off about that pic.

What you don't load your 45 ACP mags backward? LOL

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v7/p194179743-5.jpg

HKGuns
January 2, 2011, 12:31 AM
There's something a little off about that pic.

Yep, good eye for detail.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v19/p576263284-2.jpg

On a side note......with all the fawning over Colt on here in general and in this thread specifically, I did a bit of poking around and discovered a few things of note. Don't buy any Colt pistols on Gunbreaker or Gunsamerika, the people selling there are trying to steal from you.

I also noticed a recall notice for a pretty wide spread of Colt pistols MFG'd after 2007. The notice was dated 2009 so I'm sure it isn't news to the Colt fan club. Not what I would deem awe inspiring, it isn't like they're building Cars in Connecticut. On that note, I didn't see any recall notices for SA, Norinco, RIA or any of the other 1911 MFG's mentioned in this thread.

Edit: Oh, and good luck finding any Colt 1911 for under a grand! The bottom of the barrel models run $900+ and that is if they're in stock.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/MediaDownloads.aspx

Shane Tuttle
January 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Edit: Oh, and good luck finding any Colt 1911 for under a grand! The bottom of the barrel models run $900+ and that is if they're in stock.

Oh, I don't know. I've seen Ken advertise time after time for Colts under $1000....actually under $900 as well...:rolleyes:

AustinTX
January 2, 2011, 01:54 AM
Didn't check to see if anyone else had posted it, but bac1023's guide to 1911 manufacturers and models (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683) is a terrific resource. It starts at post #17 on page one of the linked thread and continues for several posts on page two.

Wildalaska
January 2, 2011, 02:41 AM
actually under $900 as well.

Sometimes under $800 as well.:D

On that note, I didn't see any recall notices for SA, Norinco, RIA or any of the other 1911 MFG's mentioned in this thread.

Unlike Colt, they just let their stuff break :)

For those of you that dont know about the recall, it was two bad subcontracted parts, to wit: a Recoil Spring Guide on Defenders and a Thumb Safety on certain serial number ranges....as to the safety my understanding was that the only one that broke was at the Colt plant :cool:

Now I personally have seen well over a dozen broken thumb safties in Kimber and Taurus.....ever see a recall notice:D

WildqualitycompaniesactprospectivelyAlaska ™©2002-2010

BarkSlayer
January 2, 2011, 08:28 AM
Springfield Range Officer for sure. No other 1911 offers so much for so little.

HKGuns
January 2, 2011, 08:29 AM
Those are just "bad examples"!!! Kimber's never break!!:barf:

Yes, I'm sure Colt has a pretty solid QC process given all of their Gubment contracts. Recall's aren't all bad. BUT, and this is a big one, it isn't like they're building cars with thousands of parts sourced from hundreds of suppliers.

5.56RifleGuy
January 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
I seem to recall getting my XSE combat commander for around $850.
My XSE full size came at around $900.

I will agree that they aren’t the easiest to find.

Must be because people like them and buy them.

Osageshooter
January 2, 2011, 10:59 AM
Best 1911 for under $1000

I know what I would look for. A used one from a reputable dealer. I would start with looking for a Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory, or Colt; but there are other good ones. You likely won't find the semi customs (Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc.) for that price even used.

Most of the used guns I look at are not at all worn out or close to it. Test it for basic function, dry fire it for trigger feel, check the rails for damage, and look for any cracks in the frame. Put in an empty mag and release it. Rack the slide and make sure it is smooth. There may be a place or two where you feel a little tug along the travel of the slide, but there should be no place where it seems to catch.

I also look for scratches that I can live with. It may be the only reason the owner sold. They pull the price down and give you a great shooter for the price.

IMO people often sell auto pistols for reasons that are correctable. Won't hit to point of aim can often be fixed with drifting a sight or replacing a sight with a higher or lower one to raise or lower point of aim. A new spring (8 bucks) can fix some feeding problems. The easiest fix is the magazine. I bought a very nice used Dan Wesson that came with two magazines. One would not work at all. The other was fine. Bad one in trash, two new Wilson 47D magazines and I had a very nice gun within the stated budget.

Sevens
January 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
You can't go wrong with the Range Officer or any Springfield with an NM serial#.
I've heard this before... but what do you get with the "NM" prefix and is there any citation for this? I'm interested.

My buddy just recently picked up his first 1911, a Springfield Loaded. It is brand new and has the NM prefix.

Please tell me more and give links if possible. Thanks!

Shane Tuttle
January 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
The NM prefix means the fitment and finishing process was performed at the Imbel plant in Brazil. That's where all of Springfield's slides and frames come from whether its the Professional or GI. They do a good job for the price point in the fit/finishing. The controversy of Geneseo's workers finishing the 1911s (N prefix) end up being a better product is warranted. Just because you have an N prefix automatically means you have a better gun. I think Brazil has the potential to provide a finished product that is as good as Geneseo. But Geneseo probably puts out an overall better product on average.

Mine's an NM and I'm not disappointed in the least. Need to keep in mind you get what you pay for in general and I don't expect the same end result when I place it side by side with a Les Baer.

And two other things. The issue of the extracter "sticking out" being a lousy attention to detail on fit/finish is absolute garbage. Word on the street is the Range Officer model will only have an N prefix. As exciting it is to hear they're putting out this model and a rabid fan I am of Springfield, I honestly cannot say it's a "you can't go wrong" with the RO. It hasn't even been out on the market very long at all. I believe it needs to be out in consumers' hands for a true litmus test of worth.

jake556
January 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Find a lightly used Kimber:D

Stevie-Ray
January 17, 2011, 12:05 AM
Get a Colt.

BikerRN
January 17, 2011, 12:11 AM
For less than $1,000, or right at that, you can get a Colt Rail Gun, or several of their 1911's.

Shop around, look and compare prices. I paid less than $1,000 for my Colt Rail Gun, including shipping and transfer fees. I'm really liking the XSE versions that Colt is putting out.

Biker

Yankee Traveler
January 17, 2011, 11:06 AM
Even if you don't buy the anniversary model...

It's 2011, buy a 1911 from the original

Colt

Viet nam Vet's son
January 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm going to side with Oldawg from the first page. I know I will catch some grief from people but I think that the Taurus PT1911 is a great gun! At right around $650 (I paid $500 for mine 2 years ago) you can't beat the quality and all of the extras.

8 round cap.
extended memory pad and flared beaver tail grip
skeleton hammer and trigger
ambi safety
checkered front and back straps
hammer forged slide, frame, and barrel
serrated front and back
polished feed ramp
flared and lowered ejection port
etc.

I have ran over 2000 rounds through mine without a single fowl. It has the same extras that other companies are charging well over $1000 for. My wife says that it has about the same kick as her FNP9.

If you want a good solid "fully loaded" 1911 for not much $, check it out!